Main Megamenu

2010 Rally Location?

187 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fritzc

It will be a great rally! Only retirees and unemployed persons will be there.

MarkF
MarkF's picture

mapman » wrote:
Someone had to drop the ball. It has to be very difficult to book a rally in a tourist area like the Catskills for the summer when we are within 6 months of the event. The booking of the event should have happened a year ago for 2010 and should be happening right now for 2011. To delay and you are at the mercy of every wedding,family reunion and craft show imaginable.

I wish the RA would go back to a fall event and you might be able to book for Sept-Oct now. If they insist on summer rallies then more advanced planning is required. Personnally, I like the RA Rally better than the MOA, but options are limited when vacations have to be booked before rally dates are announced.

I don't think we should let the commitees off the hook for a lack of planning. We need te following years rally booked and announced at the Rally closing ceremony as Boise was handled a few years ago.

I agree with the Fall Rally idea

What are u gonna do? Fire them?

MarkF
2005 Ducati ST3

ackgs

MarkF » wrote:
What are u gonna do? Fire them?

No its a club, members will vote with their feet if they are disatisfied and not renew. With the two BMW organizations I have belonged to the rally and the magazines or club newsletters appear to be the most important reasons for memebership. For me it is mostly the club newsletters as I have not been able to attend any rallies so far. I really had no desire to attend the other clubs rally when I was a member there but had thought about the RA rallies in the past. That said I was hoping that this year the RA rally would not be an extension of the MOA rally and it might be somewhere I had the time to ride to. I like the idea of a fall rally too but time will tell I guess as to the location, dates, or even if.

drrider

OK incase i missed it in 0tl..........................................whenz the rally.................i gotta have vacation request in this week

all roads generaly lead somwhere so lets ride them

vetbmwrider

vetbmwrider » wrote:
I heard that the rally will be either the last weekend of July or the first weekend in Aug, I would guess the last weekend in July would be my pick.

take a hint...... in the northeast US. Great roads that all I can say for now.

MTSweger
Rally Site Selection Process?

nplenzick » wrote:
I really don't think people are P$M over this, instead what I'm seeing is frustration. Many people like my wife need to have their vacation dates in pretty soon and their frustrated that they have no dates for the RA rally because they want to attend. It's really as simple as that. I think it is a testament as to how much some really want to attend this rally. But as every day goes by less and less people will be able to attend and the bottom line is with not enough people attending the RA could lose money by staging this rally.

Point taken, nplenzick. I can certainly understand the frustration, as my own vacation plans for 2010 hinge on the "when and where" for this year's RA rally.

So, can someone explain the process that RA uses to select rally sites? (Assuming there is a process.) What can we, as club members, do to help ensure that the rally dates/locations are locked down sooner next time around and for subsequent events? I've only been a member of RA for a couple years, but I'd be willing to help with any research or other actions required to find and reserve a suitable venue for future rallies. Does RA have a Rally Committee like the MOA? Are there specific regions defined for RA rallies? Are rally locations planned for the out years or does this club settle for a "shoot from the hip" approach each time? (NTTAWWT)

In any case, I think effective communication is key. Proper planning can improve the rally site selection process, but it's understandable if such plans are not always optimized in a volunteer-run club. I have no idea if there is a defined process or what the existing timeline and decision points are. Site criteria? Undoubtedly, there are many factors to consider, which only underscores the importance of advanced planning. Of course, even the best laid plans can be derailed from time to time, such as when a contract negotiation falls through or is delayed due to some unforeseen circumstance. I suspect that's what might have happened in this case....

-MTS

Mike Sweger
2004 K1200GT
Charlottesville, VA

OU812
OU812's picture

I am with Rick^.

Dutch

Hey all: I for one, see very little, as someone put it, P&m in this blog site. Instead we have a fair number of folks concerned with their ability to attend a rally that they very much want to go to. This speaks highly of the RA rallies in general. I, for one, have one day left to make my vacation reservations at work, and unless something happens RIGHT NOW they won't include the RA rally.This WILL result in some grumbling and whineing!!! (Note; G&Wing is not nearly as bad as P&Ming is). I realize that everyone on the rally commitee is a volenteer, and God bless them for it. I believe the major problem isn't the lack of a site, but the lack of communications. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

womanridge
womanridge's picture

Communication, that's all I was hoping for.
It might be a great idea to have an "open discussion" or "seminar" at the Rally, about the rally sight selection committee. Or is that inviting anarchy......
I think this thread is evidence that people do care and are willing to help resolve the problem, if not for this year, then in the future.

doggettbeemer

I think a rally site selection committee is a great idea (if one doesn't exist). I also agree sites should be locked down a year in advance and announced at the closing ceremony. Hope the RA works out for you this year Dutch.

vetbmwrider

womanridge » wrote:
Communication, that's all I was hoping for.
It might be a great idea to have an "open discussion" or "seminar" at the Rally, about the rally sight selection committee. Or is that inviting anarchy......
I think this thread is evidence that people do care and are willing to help resolve the problem, if not for this year, then in the future.

Myself and Debbi H. did have an open discussion during my seminar, but the main focus was on the new requirement that BMW is placing on chartered Clubs. Everyone was invited to this seminar it was just not for Chartered Clubs.

Bob
Bob's picture

I think I will agree with the last couple of posts. What is needed is more input from the members as to Rally locations. If you live near a good site go check it out as to Hotels, Motels, camping, how much tenting area and of course good roads. Then contact the RA with your suggestion. I am sure there is info on the site as to all the details that are needed for a rally site.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bob
05-06-07-08 WI. Dells Rally Chairman:
07 RT
06 XT225 Dirt Bike What a Ride

vetbmwrider

Bob » wrote:
I think I will agree with the last couple of posts. What is needed is more input from the members as to Rally locations. If you live near a good site go check it out as to Hotels, Motels, camping, how much tenting area and of course good roads. Then contact the RA with your suggestion. I am sure there is info on the site as to all the details that are needed for a rally site.

I have to agree that the RA needs more information from its members on trying to find good rally sites. The RA does have a packet that can be emailed to you about the requirements that is looked at when selecting rally sites. I will be happy to email anyone this packet that is used to determine a rally site.

Chartered Clubs Coordinator
Michael Johnston

Dutch

Hey all: I don't recall ANYONE requesting member input!! The rally was supposed to be anounced way back in October, when it wasn't, THAT was the time for the planners to ask for help from the members. If someone had let us know that the site they were looking at had fallen through, back in November, I'll wager someone would have had a idea where they could hold the rally. It is now too late for a bunch of us who would have liked to attend this rally to make our plans, now is NOT the time to be asking for member input!!! Good luck everyone. (All right, I am now into my P&Ming stage!!) Dutch

mapman

I agree with Dutch's last post. Now IS the time to be asking about 2011 locations or we could see a repeat of the 2010 problem.

vetbmwrider

All I can say is that everyone will know the location in a few days. Yes some people did know of the site back in late November. Now Dutch let me ask you a question if the RA anounced this rally location and everyone made plans to attend this rally. Ok now this rally site had also fallen through, because of dates issues or even contracts problems after thre RA anounced it. Now you already had made plans to attend this rally and RA had to change date or even location. I think you would be mad as H--- at the RA for changing the dates or even the location. Maybe the RA is protecting itself and their members by not announcing the location and dates until everthing is signed.

Michael Johnston
Chartered Clubs Coordinator

AZgman
AZgman's picture

Michael I understand your point, however, a simple Email post here stating what was going on, rather than silence, would have been an improvement.

For 2011 and beyond, how about a permanent link on the home page so people could see the rally site requirements and easily make rally location suggestions?

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

vetbmwrider

Sometime silence is the best policy in handling this problem. I know there is frustration when someone is scheduling their time off and wants to attend an event. The one thing that I have not read in these posting, did anyone contact the RA headquarters and ask when the possible dates of the rally? Because I know if you did contact the RA headquarters Debbi H. would have told the 2 dates that RA was looking at for holding the rally to help you with your scheduling. Because I have been in contact with other individuals that have contacted the RA headquarters because they want to know the dates of the rally to schedule their time off from work to attend this rally. If you real want the answer sometime it is best to go straight to the source to get the answer and not wait for someone to post it if that important to you. Sadly that we as a group had to wait for this information on rally, sometime things do happen that we have no control over and we have to adjust to the changes around us.

BMWGSRider

Originally they were going to post the rally announcement in October. October rolls around and no location was disclosed. I kept calling Debbie on a regular basis... she kept coming up with a story. Each time I called, she kept saying call back in two weeks they will know than. When I called back in two weeks, I get told that they are almost done negotiating a deal and that they are making the final wrap up and will be heading back to the undisclosed location to wrap things up. At one point of time, I was told it would be in the Catskills area as they have been wanting to host a rally there for some time now and was given a time frame. Again, I would be told to call back in two weeks which I always did. About a month ago, I was told a different location other than the Catskills and told that time that the board had to review it and it would be approved that week. Its been over a month or so since I've called Debbie as its been very discouraging because at one point of time I was planning on attending. Since this whole mess has been happening, my plans have since changed. I decided for the heck of it to call Debbie to find out if they have a location or not to which I have been told yes they have and will be making an announcement here on the forums in the next couple days. She is now claiming its the last week in July and will be in the Southwest corner of Vermont. If there is a location and etc. for a rally, why couldn't see give me the exact dates let alone state exactly where the rally will be held?

If they had problems getting contract and the deal to go through, why not confess up and tell the truth instead of stringing the whole deal along with some stories and etc.? The truth is better than not telling the truth. Why not confess up? Why not update people on the progress to where they can possibly understand what is happening or why something fell through. Why wait so long to make an announcement?

Its a shame on how poorly this situation has been handled. They sure need to get their act in gear or else they are going to have more unhappy/mad folks than they already have.

I doubt the attendance will be as good... I hope the actual rally itself isn't poor planned as it has been on making an announcement of this years location. It sure has me wondering...

If anyone ends up attending, hope he/she has a nice time.

The RA needs to be better about getting their act in gear about announcing the 2011 location.

Because of this poor planning, I wonder if I will ever attend another RA Rally. I've attended many during childhood and in 2002 but will I in the future????????????????

2006 BMW F650 GS

Dutch

Micheal: IF they had announced a date and place, and IF those plans fell through, (by the way, I assume that the word CONTRACT is involved here somehow) we would have been much more understanding. As it is, we haven't heard word one from the national office. This has been going on since October! As far as contacting the RA offices Why should we HAVE to? They promised to keep us informed, they dropped the ball. AS far as silence sometimes being the best policy, I think that TWELVE pages of upset members puts that notion to rest, don'tyou agree? As I have stated before,the likelyhood of me attending this years rally is pretty slim, but will I attend in the future? Yes I will. I hope that folks learn from this experiance, and keep the line of comunications open in the future. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

vetbmwrider

It sound like you had about the same information that I was given. The process to find a rally site can be time consuming and difficult. I will try to explain how it works.
1. We blind fold someone and give him/her a dart and they throw it at a big map of North America. :wink
2. We then go to talk with Charter Clubs, people that are members of the RA that live in that area, and go online to try to find locations.
3. If they have a location we ask them to fill out a packet to see if this location will work. This gives us an idea of what the site has to offer.
4. Someone from the RA from the rally committee will go out and look at this location and give it their blessing.
5. Then if the site is good one the site will go in front of the trustees. To give their blessing on going into contract.
6. Now the fun stuff begins. Determine the budget of the rally, what is needed to hold the rally. Negotiating the rally site, start work on the contract, etc…….. .
7. Then all of this must be presented back to the trustees before the contract can even be signed. If they do like the budget or the contract information they can reject.
8. If anyone has ever closed on a house that you just purchased sometime a contract between two parts can be very difficult and time consuming. Now imagine that with going into contract with another party in renting a location. If both parties agree to the contract it is signed.
9. Now the RA can announce the location.
10. Note at anytime in this process we can go back to step 1 until a contract is signed.
Sometimes we forget that things do not happen overnight in this fast pace world. Sometimes the wheel works very slowly but we get there, this is just a very basic outlook at the some of the steps in finding a rally site.

mapman

vetbmwrider » wrote:
It sound like you had about the same information that I was given. The process to find a rally site can be time consuming and difficult. I will try to explain how it works.
1. We blind fold someone and give him/her a dart and they throw it at a big map of North America. :wink
2. We then go to talk with Charter Clubs, people that are members of the RA that live in that area, and go online to try to find locations.
3. If they have a location we ask them to fill out a packet to see if this location will work. This gives us an idea of what the site has to offer.
4. Someone from the RA from the rally committee will go out and look at this location and give it their blessing.
5. Then if the site is good one the site will go in front of the trustees. To give their blessing on going into contract.
6. Now the fun stuff begins. Determine the budget of the rally, what is needed to hold the rally. Negotiating the rally site, start work on the contract, etc…….. .
7. Then all of this must be presented back to the trustees before the contract can even be signed. If they do like the budget or the contract information they can reject.
8. If anyone has ever closed on a house that you just purchased sometime a contract between two parts can be very difficult and time consuming. Now imagine that with going into contract with another party in renting a location. If both parties agree to the contract it is signed.
9. Now the RA can announce the location.
10. Note at anytime in this process we can go back to step 1 until a contract is signed.
Sometimes we forget that things do not happen overnight in this fast pace world. Sometimes the wheel works very slowly but we get there, this is just a very basic outlook at the some of the steps in finding a rally site.

OK, this is the process RA uses and it probably similar to the process most clubs use for a National Rally. The problem that I haven't heard an answer to is why RA is the only club I know of that can't get the negotiations done a year in advance.

If RA doesn't recognize this as a problem we are doomed to repeat this next year. A lot of people are not going to attend this year because of delays announcing date/location. What is RA doing to prevent the problem in 2011? Besides member attendance I'm sure this adds to the problem with vendor participation.

As I've said before I like RA Rallies better than MOA so I'm not questioning you to just argue, I would like to see improvements.

vetbmwrider

mapman » wrote:
OK, this is the process RA uses and it probably similar to the process most clubs use for a National Rally. The problem that I haven't heard an answer to is why RA is the only club I know of that can't get the negotiations done a year in advance.

If RA doesn't recognize this as a problem we are doomed to repeat this next year. A lot of people are not going to attend this year because of delays announcing date/location. What is RA doing to prevent the problem in 2011? Besides member attendance I'm sure this adds to the problem with vendor participation.

As I've said before I like RA Rallies better than MOA so I'm not questioning you to just argue, I would like to see improvements.

All I can say is that the RA is trying do it best job in putting on a rally this summer. I can list other organization that also had a hard time finding rally sites but there is no point in listing them. The RA in July had 2 rally locations in the northeast. One was the first choice and the second site was the back up. Now it turned that both sites did not work out in October. I agree this put the RA behind the eight ball in trying to find locations. As it turned we did find a great location in the middle of November. Now by the time the RA went out to looked at this location and notifying the trustees and working on the contract I think everyone has done the best job out there.
Does the RA recognize that this year there were problems up until now so your answer is yes. So let’s not get ahead of the game and worry about 2011 rally because were not doomed. Let’s focus on having a great time at this upcoming rally. In the next couple of days there should be announcement of the location, the exact dates of the rally and more.

Michael Johnston
Chartered Club Coordinator

MarkF
MarkF's picture

For the record I'm not upset. If it's somewhere I want to go and at a time I can get off from work I will attend. If not I will go elsewhere. I appreciate all the hard work Debbie and crew does. More communication and fall dates would be better but lack of either no longer upsets me. Nobody is making a salary doing this stuff. Thanks.

MarkF
2005 Ducati ST3

doggettbeemer

Okay everybody! We're all excited to have an RA rally to look forward to this year. We'll know specifics about it in a couple of days (so we've been promised). Really too bad that some will miss the rally. The RA is quite a different experience from the MOA national. Much more laid back. When we have the info, we'll need great volunteers to help make it a success. S---t happens! Hopefully!!!! A site is in the works for 2011 and the contract negotiations will be in the works and completed by the time this rally takes place. As past president and organizer of many events I've learned - delegate to those you trust - when you give them the power - let them run with it. They will not let you down and you can take care of the bigger issues. I'm thinking those in charge at the RA are spread too thin.

PaulZ
PaulZ's picture

I am looking forward to the announcement, and attending the 2010 rally. My first was last summer in WV ... which was fantastic.

cousi

Rumor has it that it's going to be really, reeeeeally close to a race track.
This will my first RA Rally, is there an on-line sign up for volunteering?

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

Announcement imminent, but block out July 29 to August 1 in the Northeast.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

rbertalotto

The Yankee Beemers are standing by to assist in any way we can.

We're right down the street...........:)

OH, and our big yearly rally "Damn Yankees Rally" is the following weekend, Aug 6,7 and 8..................So, go do the RA thing and finish off the week a few miles down the road in Northwestern, MA at our rally............

It's gonna be a great summer!

Roy Bertalotto
Yankee Beemers, President

YankeeBeemers.org

doggettbeemer

Thanks for the announcement. It'll be announced tonight at the Wisconsin Club Installation Dinner. We're there!

Fritzc
Thank God!

:hurrayI love Vermont, Maple syrup, mountains and sticky buns Yum Yum! Six hundred miles for me. Perfect, a day's ride. Oops! I might have to get a passport to go through Canada!! Maybe I can get to Connecticut and Rhode Island. Two of four continental states I have yet to visit. LOL

vetbmwrider

The BMW RA National
The Hosting Chartered Club for the 2010 RA National Rally at the Green Mountain Energy Park in Pownal, Vermont is the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont. The Dates for the Rally are July 29-August 1.
This location is also known as the Green Mountain race track that is Located in Pownal, Vt. On U. S. Route 7 between Bennington, Vt. And Williamstown, Mass.
Gps: N 42 45.541 W 073 13.921
BMW RA Chartered Clubs Coordinator
Michael Johnston

GS George

only 144 miles from home sure makes it tempting to ride up fri after work.

Beemerbutt

There's a great winery in Jacksonville, VT called the North River Winery that is a must to visit. They make the best Hard Cider!

Julia Shirley
Mills River, NC
 MSF Rider Coach

OU812
OU812's picture

Ze » wrote:
I am looking forward to the announcement, and attending the 2010 rally. My first was last summer in WV ... which was fantastic.

Yes it was my 1st also and a GREAT time!
Happy the dates and location are up.
Now I have to get the days off......:yesnod

PaulBach
Come to Pownal Vermont

GS George » wrote:
only 144 miles from home sure makes it tempting to ride up fri after work.

Once you reach the rally there will be plenty of available routes. Maps will be available and will downloads to you Garmin GPS. You will have a great time in

[="Green"]Pownal
Gateway to New England[/]

You can get to Pownal from there!

Paul
Paul Bachorz
Rallymeister

2010 Rallymeister in Vermont
Pownal - Gateway to New England

PaulBach

Going to the rally site this afternoon to watch motorcycle racing - on the ice!

[="Green"]Pownal
Gateway to New England[/]

Paul
Paul Bachorz
Rallymeister

Kenny Gadley

Any motels in the area? any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks Kenny.

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

I think the hotel coverage should be really good. Bennington's 9~10 miles north and Williamstown is about five miles south. Plenty of lodging in both places, from what I hear.

Hopefully the rally team will start to put some of this together soon.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Kenny Gadley

Thanks Anton...

PaulBach

Here are a couple of links:

[URL="http://hotelguides.com/vermont/pownal-vt-hotels.html"][="Blue"]Pownal #1[/][/URL]

[URL="http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com/"][="Blue"]Pownal #2
[/][/URL]

Be sure to check out the Bennington, [="Green"]Vermont[/] and Williamstown, MA since both are just a few minutes from the site.

PaulBach

There has to be more questions.

Fire away!

feldis

feldis » wrote:
I would like to volunteer for the beer tent. Please tell me when and where to report?

Ok rally master now I know where to report. When can I volunteer? This will be a great rally.

PaulBach

Anyplace would be fine. Right nolw the largest need is in registration and security.

Registration - meet and greet and take money.
Security - Show me your wrist band.

Also everyone needs to be in publicity. It works like this. Go to both rallies if possible. I am going to attend both but am flying out to Oregon - free tickets on Southwest - hard to beat.
Also am retired so the week out and the week back would not be a problem. But I am so dedicated to Pownal being one of the best every that I will be on-site the 10 days before the rally
begins.

But some folks have limited time. Kearney, Nebraska is the midpoint between the two rallies. 1800 miles either way to either rally.

Kenny Gadley

Ok, we're all set. we have reservations in Williamstown. We would like to pre register, so will be waiting on the info for that to come out. See ya'all in Pownal. Kenny...

PaulBach

Hi Kenny,
Williamstown is a real fine piece of historical architecture. And the art museum is one of the best in America. Then there is the Mohawk Trail where the riding is ... unbelievably great.

Be sure to check out the tunnel city coffee house.

Come back any time folks and post a question. If I don't know the answer ... I'll find it ... or make one up!

DaveH

"Come back any time folks and post a question".

Ok Mr. Rallymeister....
What groups are providing the musical entertainment?

PaulBach

The Hemmings site is about a 15 minute ride from the rally in Pownal.

PaulBach

DaveH » wrote:
"Come back any time folks and post a question".

Ok Mr. Rallymeister....
What groups are providing the musical entertainment?

Trying to get Vermont flavor into the event.

There will be a Blues performance.

The other two have been selected and will be meerting with club tomorrow. Expect foot tapping fun music. Acid rock has not been considered.

Pages

Join the BMW Riders Association