2010 Rally Location?

187 posts / 0 new
Last post
OU812
OU812's picture

Thanks George......:cool:

BMWGSRider

GS George » wrote:
got my renewal in the mail today, maybe they need my money for a deposit on the rally location...........guess i'm the reason they have not announced the location but i promise, i'll pay up soon.

I haven't paid... and there's not a sticker for you to remove either. Wink :rolleyes: Tongue

2006 BMW F650 GS

Dutch

Hey all; So has anyone heard for sure where and when? This is getting a bit silly don't you think? It's now the 5th of December, and still no word... What's going on? The whole world wants to know!! Dutch

kioolt

I could just use a date at this time. I've got to put in for my vacation picks for 2010 this week.

2004 R1150RT 177,400 miles

1991 K100LT 128,700 miles

1982 R100RT 106,900 miles

Total 413,000 BMW miles

AMA, BMWRA, BMWMOA, BMWBMW, OILHEAD

BMWGSRider

I called and she said she just got back again from the location still working out on the contract. She said they will be working heavily on the contract this week and should know in a week to where and when the location will be. From my impression it maybe towards the end of July around the Catskills... somewhere in N. Y. at least.

2006 BMW F650 GS

ackgs

Well at least it would be refreshing, from my point of view anyway, not to be following the MOA around this year. Curious where and when.

OU812
OU812's picture

The end of July would work for me (maybe) as I am very low on the pole.....:o

GS George

i was really hoping to attend my first RA rally this year but the lack of a firm date/location at this late date has me rethinking the RA rally. for me, it's time to start making other plans. perhaps next year the RA will get there act together and be able to announce the rally location in a timely manor. i am sure no one will miss me at the rally but the lack of info has left a very bad taste in my mouth. Redmond & the MOA are looking better as each day passes.

Dutch

Hey all; I've been to two RA rallies so far, and they have been really good. Lot's of riding, siminars, and merchants. I WAS looking forward to my third.... It's almost too late to include this event in our seasonal planning, but we will try to wait as long as possible before we "write off" this rally all together. Hope the orginizers get it all together SOON!!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

doggettbeemer

We're all anxious to hear where the rally will be for 2010. At times it gets frustrating waiting for rally location site info but we need to sit back and remember that the powers to be at the RA (for the most part) have full-time jobs in addition to their duties with the RA. They wear many hats. When I think about it that way, I chill out a little. But I agree - it's time.:D

womanridge
womanridge's picture

sweetpea » wrote:
We're all anxious to hear where the rally will be for 2010. At times it gets frustrating waiting for rally location site info but we need to sit back and remember that the powers to be at the RA (for the most part) have full-time jobs in addition to their duties with the RA. They wear many hats. When I think about it that way, I chill out a little. But I agree - it's time.:D

Kinda hard to plan a Roling Rally around, hey?

doggettbeemer

Kind of sounds like we're starting a rolling rally with the Chicken Rally/Barber Museum Run doesn't it? Can't wait. Add in a night in Memphis and a night in Nashville. We're stylin':D

Dutch

Sweetpea; What a great idea!! There could be several area "rolling rallies" all finishing up somewhere like Barber Motorsports park in October!! Those of us up north could maybe start with the Gilmore Farms vintage motorcycle show in June, include the AMA vintage days in July, and the battle of the Brits in the east side of Michigan,and conclude with the BMS vintage ralley. Thanks for the idea!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

doggettbeemer

Actually, I've been thinking about this. Many of us that are familiar with our own part of the country think it's no big deal to ride in these areas. We should start posting road trips that we are taking online. If it works for others, they can make plans also to meet up with the group. I think I'll post the ride in May when we head to the Chicken Rally. We are going down to Clarksdale, Mississippi. If you've never stayed at the Shack em Up - you gotta do that. Most people don't know about it. So I think we should start doing rolling rallies like this. Just kind of an interesting spin on riding.

Mark and I love riding our own ride but it sure is fun to meet fellow BMW riders at the end of the day. What a way to meet new friends. After the Rolling Rally last year we made friends that we still keep in touch with.

Enough rambling. Just wishing it was riding season now!:p

ackgs

An announcement would make a nice Christmas present for us. But then again I know it is tough to get anything done around the holidays. The people you need to see are just not around. Maybe the first couple of weeks of the new year? I'm sure the powers that be are working on it.

Fritzc
2010 Rally

Here it is the end of 2009 and no 2010 rally announcement????????
I thought venues had be reserved by this time. How can a rally location be locked in at this late date. If a place has been chosen that is the most closely held secret ever in this forum.:confused:

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture

Fritzc » wrote:
Here it is the end of 2009 and no 2010 rally announcement????????
I thought venues had be reserved by this time. How can a rally location be locked in at this late date. If a place has been chosen that is the most closely held secret ever in this forum.:confused:

[="3"]It does seem that the announcement is later than normal this year. I hope it comes out soon as I have to start picking vacation time for 2010 in about 2 more weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed. Happy New year to all.[/]

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

Normally an announcement isn't done until the contract is approved. However, we have a site picked out and if all goes well we'll be looking at a summer rally in the east. The details aren't mine to give out but I'll see if we can get something official out.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

Bill D
How about a Date?

Some of us need to commit our summer work schedules really soon.
How about letting us in on the Rally Dates? I'm not too concerned with the announcement or details right now, but I can't attend if I can't get the time off.

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture

Bill D » wrote:
Some of us need to commit our summer work schedules really soon.
How about letting us in on the Rally Dates? I'm not too concerned with the announcement or details right now, but I can't attend if I can't get the time off.

Recieved my vacation list to pick time off today. Come on guys, I have maybe a week before I have to turn this list in. Haven't missed an RA Rally in a while but no time off no can go. Help...

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

Dutch

Hey all; I too have about a week to get my vacation request in... While I haven't been to all that many RA rallies, I'd hate to miss this one... Come on folks, times a-wasteing!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

vetbmwrider

I heard that the rally will be either the last weekend of July or the first weekend in Aug, I would guess the last weekend in July would be my pick.

DaveH

I also needed the rally info in order to schedule time off work.
Ok so..."can't tell anyone until contract is signed". So, by implication, the organizers did not do their job timely!!
Example...other organizations with higher attendance and fewer options "signed the contract" months ago.
Lame excuse. Why not just admit...."Someone dropped the ball....BIGTIME"?

mapman

It's already too late for me. Maybe 2011 if they can get their act together for that year.

GS George

Quote:
"Someone dropped the ball....BIGTIME"?

as someone new to the RA i am not sure how the people who are in charge of the rally are picked but if they are elected i think every member who will miss this years rally needs to remember why they were not able to attend the 2010 rally and vote accordingly. now if the people in charge are appointed then the members really have no recourse as the same people who screwed up this year could very well be appointed next year. about the only option i see in that situation is to give the MOA a call, they seem to be able to announce there rally in a timely manor and i am sure they are always looking for new members. i got my RA renewal in the mail the other day, it went in the garbage as this whole situation has put the RA in a very bad light for me.

womanridge
womanridge's picture

I hope the RA rally committe reads these posts. I don't begin to understand the complexities of putting on a rally, but a little communication could go a long way.

MarkF
MarkF's picture

DaveH » wrote:
I also needed the rally info in order to schedule time off work.
Ok so..."can't tell anyone until contract is signed". So, by implication, the organizers did not do their job timely!!
Example...other organizations with higher attendance and fewer options "signed the contract" months ago.
Lame excuse. Why not just admit...."Someone dropped the ball....BIGTIME"?

It's not a job, if u can do better...volunteer!

MarkF
2005 Ducati ST3

DaveH

MarkF » wrote:
It's not a job, if u can do better...volunteer!

Maybe I will. If I do, I expect to be held accountable for whatever I volunteer for!

*SHAG*

I've been to the last six rallies, but I'm going to miss this one if I don't find out when it is before the 15th. I have to turn my vacation times in at the office.
What happened to the days when the next years rally was announced at the closing ceremony?

2005 GS Rock Red 81k miles

vetbmwrider

DaveH » wrote:
Maybe I will. If I do, I expect to be held accountable for whatever I volunteer for!

The RA is always looking for volunteers.
feldis

I would like to volunteer for the beer tent. Please tell me when and where to report?

doggettbeemer

At this stage of the game planning the rally will already be in crunch mode. It'll be important to have great volunteers to step up to the plate and help make it a success.

ackgs

sweetpea » wrote:
At this stage of the game planning the rally will already be in crunch mode. It'll be important to have great volunteers to step up to the plate and help make it a success.

All true but like feldis said just tell everyone when and where. If no one knows if they can go and where to go it might make it difficult to commit methinks.

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

All I can suggest is calling the 800 number. Also ask about volunteering.

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

GS George

i have been following this thread and find it quite amusing at this point. come on now, looking for volunteers for a rally that so far has no set date, and no set location..........LOL.

OU812
OU812's picture

womanridge » wrote:
I hope the RA rally committe reads these posts. I don't begin to understand the complexities of putting on a rally, but a little communication could go a long way.

Really. Let's get this act together! What are the issues here? Can a mod at least keep us informed?:confused
doggettbeemer

At this stage of the game I feel the frustration too. A little communication; even a simple explanation, reason, excuse explaining the delay would be appreciated. Communication does go a long way. I see that this is one way to get all of you on the forum though. That's kind of cool.

OU812
OU812's picture

I can think of better ways. like free BEER!

doggettbeemer

You can have the free beer, I'll go for a great Cabernet. Yes, that's the ticket!

vetbmwrider

The simple explanation is: I heard that the first two sites that they picked had some problems, where all booked up for the weekends to hold the RA, one of the sites increased the site fee, etc... I believe that it nobody’s at fault and they did not drop the ball, there are a lot of issues to look at when picking a rally site. Now if anyone knows a good rally site please email me at: charterclubs@bmwra.org and if any club that would like to host an RA National rally it is a good way to increase your Chartered Club treasure. I will be happy to pass this information on.

Michael Johnston

Bill D

Michael, I appreciate the explanation, Thank you. Circumstances being what they are, no one working on this problem deserves criticism. I don't have any suggestions for a rally site but I'm staying positive that A RA Rally will happen in 2010.
I'm going to take vacation time with the premise that the rally will happen July 29 to August 1 which isn't that large of a crapshoot for me. The Catskill region, The rumored location is a few hours from home.
Best of luck to the Rally Committee

doggettbeemer

Thanks Michael for the explanation. I think that's all it takes sometimes. It is difficult to lock down a site, etc. for a large group. Can you even imagine what the MOA has to go thru for sites to acccomodate their crowds.

Thank you. Hope to see you with your sidecar this summer!
tina

mapman

Someone had to drop the ball. It has to be very difficult to book a rally in a tourist area like the Catskills for the summer when we are within 6 months of the event. The booking of the event should have happened a year ago for 2010 and should be happening right now for 2011. To delay and you are at the mercy of every wedding,family reunion and craft show imaginable.

I wish the RA would go back to a fall event and you might be able to book for Sept-Oct now. If they insist on summer rallies then more advanced planning is required. Personnally, I like the RA Rally better than the MOA, but options are limited when vacations have to be booked before rally dates are announced.

I don't think we should let the commitees off the hook for a lack of planning. We need te following years rally booked and announced at the Rally closing ceremony as Boise was handled a few years ago.

Dutch

Mike; Thanks for the explanation. I know how hard it is to get something like this together, but if they were having trouble with this sites, they only had to get on this web site and let everyone know. If that had happened in October, maybe someone would be willing to jump in.. Wonder what would happen if the RA decided instead of a Juneish rally to move it back to a fall event? It seems to me that all we really need is someplace that will let, what, 2000 folks camp out. Maybe 100 port-a-potties, and that wonderful bath trailer. Throw in maybe a dozen near by motels, and a couple of eateries, and Shazam! You have a rally!! Entertainment could be self provided, (we have some really telented folks in this orginization) and we will ALWAY'S find somewhere to ride to. Just my 2 cents worth... Vaya con Dios Dutch

*SHAG*

mapman » wrote:

I don't think we should let the commitees off the hook for a lack of planning. We need te following years rally booked and announced at the Rally closing ceremony as Boise was handled a few years ago.

Yesnod Boise was announced at the Shelbyville Rally and we even went to a seminar about it and the area.

BTW, I thought that was a great location and if we ever go back, don't forget the Belly Dancers :bow:hurray:cheers

2005 GS Rock Red 81k miles

AZgman
AZgman's picture

I volunteered at the rally in NC at the Biltmore and I saw first hand how much effort a FEW people put into the rally to make it possible. I would never fault anyone who has worked that hard for zero compensation. For example; I'm not sure that Debbi Harbour ever stopped typing info into her computer the entire rally, and she was everywhere, doing everything. If you don't have facts, then don't place blame!

I agree that the RA forum is currently all but inactive and could be a great vehicle for interaction. Take a look at the activity on the MOA site and the interaction there. But that site requires paid, full time employees...

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

rbertalotto

Hunter Mountain where the Color in the Catskills was (is) held.

Not much use for a ski area in summer...and they know how to deal with camping now.

doggettbeemer

Debbi and Gordan Boltz worked relentlessly at the RA rally last year in Canaan Valley. That was a great rally. It would be nice if all you had to do was pick a rally site and show up, but it's not that easy. Let's get our site and then we can start talking about volunteering - one of the keys for a successful rally.

MTSweger
Volunteers

sweetpea » wrote:
Debbi and Gordan Boltz worked relentlessly at the RA rally last year in Canaan Valley.

Agreed. Having worked a few Registration shifts and the Black Eagle Shop at Houghton and Canaan Valley, I'm here to tell you that these fine folks (and other club leaders) work their a**es off to put on great events for the RA membership. One can gain a true appreciation of their collective efforts only by volunteering to help during a rally. Even then, I suspect that the "casual" volunteer sees only the tip of the iceberg. It still boggles the mind to witness how smoothly these events run on volunteer efforts, given the logistical complexities involved. Thumbsup

The way I see it, we can either sit here and P&M about the occasional glitches or step up and offer our assistance to help improve the rally experience for all, if only in some small way. Oh, and let's not forget that sometimes the "glitches" are the best part of the adventure! :cool:

-MTS

Mike Sweger
2004 K1200GT
Charlottesville, VA

nplenzick

MTSweger » wrote:

The way I see it, we can either sit here and P&M about the occasional glitches or step up and offer our assistance to help improve the rally experience for all, if only in some small way. Oh, and let's not forget that sometimes the "glitches" are the best part of the adventure! :cool:

-MTS

Mike Sweger
2004 K1200GT
Charlottesville, VA

I really don't think people are P$M over this, instead what I'm seeing is frustration. Many people like my wife need to have their vacation dates in pretty soon and their frustrated that they have no dates for the RA rally because they want to attend. It's really as simple as that. I think it is a testament as to how much some really want to attend this rally. But as every day goes by less and less people will be able to attend and the bottom line is with not enough people attending the RA could lose money by staging this rally.

Pages

Join the BMW Riders Association