Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Ride the Adventure RAid!

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
Visian
Visian's picture
Ride the Adventure RAid!

Ride all over the Appalachians

The year: 2013 The date: June 16-22. The location: all over the Appalachians. The Adventure RAid is open to all riders on all brands of bikes, and all skill levels. [="#FF0000"]YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A BIG DOG TO HAVE A BIG TIME.[/] This event is fun, it is an excellent opportunity to learn, and a great way to make new friends.

"What's an Adventure RAid?" It's an adventure event that starts online this spring and continues through the Blue Ridge-to-Biltmore rally in June.

How do you ride an Adventure RAid?

You can choose to ride solely to have fun, or to shoot for a win. To win the Adventure RAid, you must be:

• A good navigator that rides off the beaten path to the rally.

• A good storyteller with photo and/or video skills being part of the picture.

• An adventuresome rider through the wilds of the Appalchians along your way to Asheville.

• A decent rider on the track, someone who doesn't put their feet down.

What's the schedule of events?

More information will be posted here in the coming days.

• There are two main parts to the event: 1) Riding to the event and 2) Riding at the Blue Ridge-to-Biltmore rally.

• Register on the [URL="http://www.bmwra.org/rally/terms.html"]BMW RA registration page[/URL]. Click the button that says you wish to ride in the Adventure RAid.

• Go on Facebook, join the [URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/gsgiants/"]GS Giants group[/URL].

• If you'd like to [URL="http://www.gsgiants.com"]join the GS Giants club[/URL], do it! We have a ton of fun.

• Once you're registered, liked, grouped and joined you'll begin receiving more information as the event nears.

Volunteers needed

Of course, none of this happens without volunteers, and volunteering is a big part of the fun.

Scorekeepers - good with a spreadsheet, and a good nose for BS.
Data Wranglers - collect riders’ pics, vids and proof points. You'll need a laptop, we have the hard drive.
Event hosts - local expert who can show visitors a great time.
Ride leaders - sweeps, too... riders who can help others with less experience
Route planners - know the good local riding? Got GPS?
GS BS Geeks - know all the bizarre POIs?
Track setup and management - good with hand tools and picking up bikes?
Competition judges - you need a good eye, and a hydration pack.
Seminars - are you interested in giving one at either rally?

Many volunteers come from the ranks of the [URL="http://www.gsgiants.com"]GS Giants[/URL], a virtual club that formed at previous events and is growing like a, well, Giant!

More information coming here, soon.

Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
'86 R80 G/SPD+ | '00 R1150 GS | '06 R1200 HP2e

Edited by: Anonymous (not verified) on 2014-01-17 22:05
Visian
Visian's picture
News about the GS Gypsy Tours

For those unaware, part of the Adventure RAid event involves the opportunity to ride and camp in a GS Gypsy Tour.

These are typically a 2-3 day ride that starts on the Sunday ahead of the rally.... June 16th.

You will have three options for starting points:

• North Georgia Mountains
  • Central Tennessee
  • Southern Virginia

The map at the bottom of this post outlines the basic idea. From these starting points you can ride with friends along a number of adventurous routes, and camp out in the sticks (or be a wuss and stay in motels...). All three rides will meet up at a great spot not far from the rally.

This year, these rides will be do it yourself, as in bring your own food and drink.

More details on the where's, when's and how's will be forthcoming... many have said the GS Gypsy Tour is the best part of the event.

roadnwater

Is there a registration fee for the Raid and is it different if you are an RA or MOA member.

Visian
Visian's picture

roadnwater » wrote:
Is there a registration fee for the Raid and is it different if you are an RA or MOA member.

The Adventure RAid is covered in your rally fee. Be sure to check the box during registration to indicate you'll be riding.

mrdod

I cannot find "Click the button that says you wish to ride in the Adventure RAid." on the registration page. Don't want to register until I find it. Any help?

Visian
Visian's picture

The event will start on June 16 as people meet up in one of three different locations. The idea is to meet up, make friends and ride together toward the rally. The event is open to riders on all brands of bikes, and all skill levels.

Camping together is an option. The ride has at least 1 "out there" camping location along the way.

This year, it will be a do-it-yourself affair... we'll identify the meetup spot and recommend a few overnight options, but the food, beer and camping will be yours to arrange.

Visian
Visian's picture
But wait, there's more!

The Adventure RAid is a great event for couples. And yes, there are rattlesnakes in eastern woods, too!

[="#808080"]Photo by Chuck Harshorn[/]

There will be many opportunities to take Adventure Detours, to get you off the slab and into the woods.

[="#808080"]Photo by Chad Berger[/]

You're in for some really great riding.

[="#808080"]Photo by Chad Berger[/]

Visian
Visian's picture

At the rally, you can ride the Adventure Track.

There will be mud.

There's a special women-only ride planned.

Visian
Visian's picture

There will be trophies.

There will be good times. Yesnod

Visian
Visian's picture
The Back Way to Biltmore.

There will be rides like this to the Biltmore for each of the three GS Gypsy Tours.

ZiLg0
Bump!

mrdod » wrote:
I cannot find "Click the button that says you wish to ride in the Adventure RAid." on the registration page. Don't want to register until I find it. Any help?

BUMP! ... Yah what mrdod said!

Visian
Visian's picture

Sorry for the inconvenience, but the RA is behind in putting the Adventure RAid button onto the registration form.

Please PM me with your e-mail address and I'll make sure you're on the list.

Adam Arcane
Man, that looks like fun!

See you in the South, Visian!

LtDan

Count me in, especially for the track competition. So glad to see the RA is having this event at the Biltmore this year.

Visian
Visian's picture

Adam Arcane » wrote:
See you in the South, Visian!

We'll have to find you a bike to ride around the Adventure Track... maybe on a day ride.

Visian
Visian's picture
Can you make it to 4 Mast General Stores in 1 day?

... and the one in Asheville doesn't count.

[URL="http://www.mastgeneralstore.com"]Mast General Stores[/URL] are a Western Carolinas mainstay. They're full of great country-style stuff - including a great selection of interesting camping accessories. And they just so happen to make excellent waypoints for an all-day, self-guided dual sport ride: 320 miles of great twisties mixed in with an excellent selection of forest service roads.

[URL="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2455110"]Click here to see a map[/URL], since this forum doesn't support embeds.

Pictures of you with your bike in front of each store, or it didn't happen! Nopity

More information in your scorebook, which you can get by [URL="mailto:ians@belsouth.net?subject=Register me for the Adventure RAid."]e-mailing the event manager[/URL].

LtDan
Need a bike for the Adventure Track?

We'll be bringing some lighter bikes over to the Rally for any of you that want to try out the Adventure Track, or just to explore some of the fantastic Dual Sport riding in the area. Bikes include a 200, a couple of 250's and some 650's. Available by the day or 1/2 day, just give us a call at 865-448-6090 for more info.

Visian
Visian's picture

LtDan » wrote:
We'll be bringing some lighter bikes over to the Rally for any of you that want to try out the Adventure Track, or just to explore some of the fantastic Dual Sport riding in the area. Bikes include a 200, a couple of 250's and some 650's. Available by the day or 1/2 day, just give us a call at 865-448-6090 for more info.

Here's a great [URL="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2254301"]back-way ride to the Biltmore[/URL]... perfect for one of Lt. Dan's bikes.

womanridge
womanridge's picture

Is that 441 Vision?

Visian » wrote:
Here's a great [URL="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2254301"]back-way ride to the Biltmore[/URL]... perfect for one of Lt. Dan's bikes.
Visian
Visian's picture

No... not 441, which is a good pavement ride that hooks up with the BRP, if pavement is your pleasure.

This ride departs from I-40 in NC, Exit 7, Harmon Den Road. It's unpaved and goes up to the Max Patch area, where the Appalachian Trail passes through. If you walk out and snap a pic of the USGS marker on Max Patch, you score GS BS points. There will be another secret GS BS location that will be put into the scorebook *only*.

From there you ride the Meadow Fork dirt road to NC209 as it passes through Spring Valley. NC209 has everything the Dragon does, except the squids. Spend an hour riding that one up to Hot Springs and back... it's a great ride.

The dualsport ride continues on Baltimore Branch... the original way from Spring Valley to Asheville. All unpaved, it comes down the hill, crossed the French Broad and ends in Marshall... a very nice place for lunch.

From there, it's just a short jaunt down to the rally....

LtDan
GS Giants Advanced DS Ride set for Thursday @ 11

Plan on leaving the rally grounds at 11 AM sharp, eat before or bring a snack, no time for eattin on this ride. We'll blast down toward Cullowhee, NC ending at the Wayehutta OHV Trail system. This is a great area that is perfect for the big bikes. All trails are marked as to level of difficulty similar to a ski resort with green, blue, and black ratings. Please remember there is a $5 charge to ride this area. On the way back we'll ride Wolf Mountain Rd then a relaxing run on the Blue Ridge Pkwy back to the Biltmore.
[URL="http://youtu.be/3iSRokYbqug"]CLICK HERE[/URL] for a video of the trails.

Click on pic to enlarge.

Attachments: 
vetsurginc
vetsurginc's picture

What about sidecars on the ride?

LtDan

As far as the Wayehutta Trails are concerned I would think that your rig might be a bit too wide in places, and I believe they have either a 50" or 60" max. width, probably to keep side by sides off the trails.
There will be other DS rides staying primarily on the Forest Roads though.

LtDan

As far as the Wayehutta Trails are concerned I would think that your rig might be a bit too wide in places, and I believe they have either a 50" or 60" max. width, probably to keep side by sides off the trails.

vetsurginc
vetsurginc's picture

Thanks for the response. Dirt and gravel forest service roads are probably the best for me. While I have experience single track in Dirt (Mad River Enduro on a Yamaha XT500) I'm a novice with a sidecar in the woods.

Looking forward to seeing the other DS ride descriptions as they become available.

doug maccoy

vetsurginc
vetsurginc's picture

Forgot to mention, button still not present on registration but please count me in for as much as I can do, and receiving information on all the doings! Thanks!

jttele

Visian » wrote:
No... not 441, which is a good pavement ride that hooks up with the BRP, if pavement is your pleasure.

This ride departs from I-40 in NC, Exit 7, Harmon Den Road. It's unpaved and goes up to the Max Patch area, where the Appalachian Trail passes through. If you walk out and snap a pic of the USGS marker on Max Patch, you score GS BS points. There will be another secret GS BS location that will be put into the scorebook *only*.

From there you ride the Meadow Fork dirt road to NC209 as it passes through Spring Valley. NC209 has everything the Dragon does, except the squids. Spend an hour riding that one up to Hot Springs and back... it's a great ride.

The dualsport ride continues on Baltimore Branch... the original way from Spring Valley to Asheville. All unpaved, it comes down the hill, crossed the French Broad and ends in Marshall... a very nice place for lunch.

From there, it's just a short jaunt down to the rally....

So you're not going to route them up Hurricane Creek??? Don't you want to see some good GS carnage at the rally??? Smile

jttele

LtDan » wrote:

So they've improved on the "easy" trails at Wayehutta in the last few years I guess? Last time I was there we ripped both saddlebags off a Honda XR650 trying to navigate the "easy" outer loop trail. Of course that was probably about 15 years ago or so.....

Visian
Visian's picture

Hey JT - I just sent you an e-mail about dayrides, since you are the man!

No Hurricane Creek!!! Skep We don't want to kill people that we don't know! LOL

Visian
Visian's picture

vetsurginc » wrote:
Forgot to mention, button still not present on registration but please count me in for as much as I can do, and receiving information on all the doings! Thanks!

Vetsurginc - did you [URL="mailto:ians@bellsouth.net?Subject=I want to ride in the Adventure RAid."]send me an e-mail[/URL] to let me know you're coming?

Unfortunately, there never will be a button on the RA's registration page. Toetap

LtDan

jttele » wrote:
So they've improved on the "easy" trails at Wayehutta in the last few years I guess? Last time I was there we ripped both saddlebags off a Honda XR650 trying to navigate the "easy" outer loop trail. Of course that was probably about 15 years ago or so.....

They have just recently graded the trails, I suppose this is good or bad, depending on how you look at it. What's interesting though is that they dug pits at the bottom of the water breaks to eliminate silt runoff in the creeks, looks like a lot of work but I suppose it will keep the enviro folks happy, better than shutting the area down. On a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the hardest I would rank the Green trails a 2.
Visian
Visian's picture
Women-only Adventure Ride.

Calling all women GS riders going to the BMW RA Rally

If you are a woman or know a woman who wants to take her bike off pavement for the first time (or fairly new to this)…we have a ride at the BMW RA Rally for you!

All makes of Dual Sport bikes welcome.

Guest rider from the BMW Performance Center Liz Allen, will be on hand to host a brief riding clinic and join in on the ride.

Goal: Introduce women to off pavement. Increase confidence of women riding with support of other women.

When: Friday 9am, June 21st

Where: GS Giant tent at BMW RA Rally

Who: Women only. All skill levels welcome. Ride is geared to beginners. (Limited availability first come basis)

Sign up: please send an email to rawmnride@gmail.com. We will keep an overflow list once ride fills up. All submissions will receive a response.

The ride:

• Free!
  • Full day event with a break for lunch (riders pay for their own lunch)
  • 100 miles gravel and paved roads with plenty of bail outs.
  • Do some, Do all! All roads are close to the rally.
  • Map and Instruction will come later to the signed up riders.

1dzmotard
1dzmotard's picture

After reading the form hear on the RA, I am excited to go on the 11am ride with Dan. If its anything like the Marchmotomadness ride that Dan lead, I'll be happy happy happy. To all the rest of you Dual sporters out there this is gonna be a great event with the GS Giants at the the RA rally. Looking forward to meeting some new and old GS Giants!

Visian
Visian's picture
Scorebooks coming SOON!

If you haven't sent me an e-mail - ians@bellsouth.net - then you ain't getting a scorebook, which has links to all the routes, maps and other info about the event.

The scorebooks will be sent out late this weekend.

Frijole
Frijole's picture

Visian » wrote:
The event will start on June 16 as people meet up in one of three different locations. The idea is to meet up, make friends and ride together toward the rally. The event is open to riders on all brands of bikes, and all skill levels.

Sorry, but something about this pic made me laugh.

Frijole
Frijole's picture

1dzmotard » wrote:
After reading the form hear on the RA, I am excited to go on the 11am ride with Dan. If its anything like the Marchmotomadness ride that Dan lead, I'll be happy happy happy. To all the rest of you Dual sporters out there this is gonna be a great event with the GS Giants at the the RA rally. Looking forward to meeting some new and old GS Giants!

Amen, clay.

gsfiddler

Just a quick question. I'm planning on riding down on Wednesday the 19th. (I unfortunately won't be able to come down any earlier.) I'm assuming we can't get in to the rally site until Thursday, so would I be able to meet up with you guys down there on Wednesday? I'm riding down from Cleveland and weighing my options. I might just take the slow roads down to KY and camp somewhere Wednesday night. But, I thought it might be fun to get a night of hanging out with the Giants before the rally gets into full swing.

DyrWolf

I may be at Blueridge MC campground that night N.35 24.235 W82 48.682 that night on a XChallenge.

Visian
Visian's picture

Frijole » wrote:
Sorry, but something about this pic made me laugh.

LOL I just knew someone would catch that....

Visian
Visian's picture

gsfiddler » wrote:
Just a quick question. I'm planning on riding down on Wednesday the 19th. (I unfortunately won't be able to come down any earlier.) I'm assuming we can't get in to the rally site until Thursday, so would I be able to meet up with you guys down there on Wednesday? I'm riding down from Cleveland and weighing my options. I might just take the slow roads down to KY and camp somewhere Wednesday night. But, I thought it might be fun to get a night of hanging out with the Giants before the rally gets into full swing.

Fiddler... please [URL="mailto:ians@bellsouth.net?Subject=I want to ride in the Adventure RAid."]send me an e-mail[/URL] with your cellphone number. I will send you a scorebook. There's an option for people who aren't able to ride in the GS Gypsy Tour.... they include incredible back roads through the mountains of TN and NC. If you have this scorebook, you'll be able to enter the Rally on Wednesday.

Ian

Visian
Visian's picture
The Scorebooks are out!

If you signed up by sending me an e-mail, then check *your* email!

If it ain't in there, check your Spam bucket.

If you didn't sign up and want a scorebook, [URL="mailto:ians@bellsouth.net?Subject=I want to ride the Adventure RAid!"]send me an email[/URL]!

jvickery3@epbfi.com

There appears to be no more info on where to meet in Tenn for the ride to the RA Rally. I did not see a link when I registered, but would like to do the ride for fun. Anyone have any more info?

jvickery3@epbfi.com

How do i do sign up for the advraid ride to the rally? I did not see a link when i registered for the rally.

epokey

I don't think that the option for the AdvRaid was on the registration page. I think it was supposed to be but never got added.

The start of the gypsy tour in Tennessee is at Cherohala motorcycle resort on sunday before the rally. Monday is Rocky bluff campground. Tuesday is Blueridge motorcycle campground. I guess Wednesday is up to you. I have reservations at the french broad river CG that I made before I decided that I was going to ride the Gypsy tour. I will probably just stay there since I have the reservation already.

I am planning on camping at the Cherohala resort on sunday following the gypsy tour monday and tuesday.

pokey

Visian
Visian's picture

jvickery3@comcast.net » wrote:
How do i do sign up for the advraid ride to the rally? I did not see a link when i registered for the rally.

Please email me ians@bellsouth.net

rjzinc

Visian » wrote:
If you signed up by sending me an e-mail, then check *your* email!

If it ain't in there, check your Spam bucket.

If you didn't sign up and want a scorebook, [URL="mailto:ians@bellsouth.net?Subject=I want to ride the Adventure RAid!"]send me an email[/URL]!

How do I get one of them Scorebooks? I signed up on facebook and also sent an email, check my Spam folder, but still no Scorebook.

Thanks,
RJ

Visian
Visian's picture

rjzinc » wrote:
Visian » wrote:
How do I get one of them Scorebooks? I signed up on facebook and also sent an email, check my Spam folder, but still no Scorebook.

Thanks,
RJ

Dick - we got you all squared away. See you in Asheville.

Visian
Visian's picture
Women-only ride... just two spots left!

Ladies - don't miss out, this is a really good way to gain some experience and confidence!

Calling all women GS riders going to the BMW RA Rally

If you are a woman or know a woman who wants to take her bike off pavement for the first time (or fairly new to this)?we have a ride at the BMW RA Rally for you!

All makes of Dual Sport bikes welcome.

Guest rider from the BMW Performance Center Liz Allen, will be on hand to host a brief riding clinic and join in on the ride.

Goal: Introduce women to off pavement. Increase confidence of women riding with support of other women.

When: Friday 9am, June 21st

Where: GS Giant tent at BMW RA Rally

Who: Women only. All skill levels welcome. Ride is geared to beginners. (Limited availability first come basis)

Sign up: please send an email to rawmnride@gmail.com. We will keep an overflow list once ride fills up. All submissions will receive a response.

The ride:

• Free!
  • Full day event with a break for lunch (riders pay for their own lunch)
  • 100 miles gravel and paved roads with plenty of bail outs.
  • Do some, Do all! All roads are close to the rally.
  • Map and Instruction will come later to the signed up riders.

BMWAdventurer
BMWAdventurer's picture

Hi All! I'm leaving Orlando the afternoon of Tues and burning as much slab :dunno:cuss as I can, but such is life...would like to be in my tent in Suches right now! Anyway, I just wanted to thank Ian and everyone else involved for putting this together! I know it was a lot of work and it is REALLY appreciated. :hurray:hurray

If there is anyone else in the same situation, I'm slabbing I-95 to I-26 and then jumping off the slab into the forrest making use of a much appreciated .GPX "Detour from the South" Ian provided for me. I'll be buying him beers for that alone! If I can put a lot of miles behind me on Tues PM, I would like to try to be at the "slab exit" by early afternoon Wed. and riding on in from there since our RAid Book gets us into the Rally Wed. Would love to have someone along. Let me know and I'll PM you my phone number so we can meet and ride together.

Can't wait to meet everyone. BTW Lt. Dan...count me in on Thursday's ride. I moved my MotoMark1 Intro to Overland course from Thursday to Friday after watching the video from this thread! Looks like TOO much fun!

Ride safe, have a blast and have the best adventure possible! Keep the shiney side up...or the muddy side that used to be shiney!

BMWAdventurer

jer1346
Thursday Ride

LtDan » wrote:
Plan on leaving the rally grounds at 11 AM sharp, eat before or bring a snack, no time for eattin on this ride. We'll blast down toward Cullowhee, NC ending at the Wayehutta OHV Trail system. This is a great area that is perfect for the big bikes. All trails are marked as to level of difficulty similar to a ski resort with green, blue, and black ratings. Please remember there is a $5 charge to ride this area. On the way back we'll ride Wolf Mountain Rd then a relaxing run on the Blue Ridge Pkwy back to the Biltmore.
[URL="http://youtu.be/3iSRokYbqug"]CLICK HERE[/URL] for a video of the trails.

Click on pic to enlarge.

I look forward to joining you for this ride. I'm not familiar with the Weyehutta ORV trails, but I know Wolf Mountain Rd!

LtDan

jer1346 and BMWAdventurer, great to hear your coming with us. Schedule has changed a bit, we plan on leaving at 10 AM instead of 11. And we'll be meeting at the GS Trials Track area to leave. Weather looks good so ought to be a great ride.

Pages

Join the BMW Riders Association