This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  FREDERICK CURTIS 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hackercraft
    Participant

FYI It is 100 miles further to go around Lake Erie to Buffalo. 35 years of driving for a company that wouldn’t give you an extra 100 miles of pay if they could avoid it says enough to me. Get a gas card that you can use in Canada as the exchange will be the best.Get a Passport and don’t even think of trying to take a gun into Canada. However I seee that the question is posed by someone from con. and it would be out of the way unless you hate the superslab. If you do come through Ohio don’t follow I-75 through Detroit bypas it with US 23

TWSTD
    Participant

Hey CT, a couple years ago I rode from western Wisconsin to the MOA rally in Trenton, Ontario. Since I hadn’t driven east much to that point, my friend and I decided to go through the States and cross at Niagra Falls on the way there, and to stay in Canada on the way back and cross over at Sault Ste Marie (what a fun bridge!). What I learned is Chicago sucks to drive through. The rest of the way in the States was fun and scenic, especially since we stuck to the roads along the Great Lakes. Besides Toronto, there was little traffic in Canada, which was nice for the trip home. On another trip east from Wisconsin, my dad, my brother and I took a ferry across Lake Michigan to avoid Chicago (remember driving in Chicago sucks). I guess the ferry would only help if you drive up through WI, which I recommend since it’s a very biker friendly state and very scenic-lots of twisties, too! I guess my point is go one way there and the other way home. Just a side note, be careful in the lower peninsula of Michigan, my dad, my brother and I came to the conclusion that all the waitresses are aliens.

gonzomup
    Participant

How ’bout Canada on the way out and the States on the way back? Or vice-versa?

Bohdan

GREG ANDERSON
    Participant

There are no more boring roads than the freeways along the south shore of the Great Lakes.
    Ther are no finer roads than the two-lanes of Canada and Minnesota along the north shore of the Great Lakes.

FREDERICK CURTIS
    Participant

Not the best idea, I’m sure, but I am going to Ludington, MI on Wednesday night and take the Thursday 12:30 A.M. Boat to Manitowoc WI. then ride up to Houghton. I’m not crazy about riding in the dark in deer country but that’s what I’m gonna do!

[url]http://www.ssbadger.com/newhome.aspx[/url]

CTYankee
    Participant

I’m coming from Connecticut. Do you guys think it would be better to get to the U.P through the states, or over through Ontario… I’ve sepnt some time riding in Ontario – and it would be nice to hit those roads again. Anyone here have any experience with getting through the heart of America from the Northeast?

ALEXANDER ROBERT
    Participant

Canada is a good choice!..less traffic good roads..but make sure you check into the document requirements for border crossings. Maybe a bit more expensive due to changing exchange rates.

From the east, you could head toward Montreal and pick-up Hwy 17 to Sault Ste Marie..a fairly direct route that I’ve used many times going East…or for a little more fun, head across Ontario, north of Toronto to the Bruce Penisula. At the tip of the “Bruce” in Tobamory, you can take a 2 hour ferry ride over to Mantoulin Island which then connects to Hwy 17 about 2 n ours east of Sault Ste Marie.

From the “Soo”, you can head across “da UP”, or head north and around Lake Superior to Duluth and come in from the west.

Bob Alexander

Roy Jackson
    Participant

[QUOTE=ctyankee »]I’m coming from Connecticut. Do you guys think it would be better to get to the U.P through the states, or over through Ontario… I’ve sepnt some time riding in Ontario – and it would be nice to hit those roads again. Anyone here have any experience with getting through the heart of America from the Northeast?[/QUOTE]

Hi ctyankee. When I went to the MOA Midland rally a few years ago, I went by way of Ontario. Never tried going through the states. I will be going by Ontario again, entering from Buffalo. Looking at a map it just seems to make more sence. Just my 2 cents. Later 🙂

yeoman_kp
    Participant

Some of the roads around the Georgian Bay area look interesting. Saving time by cutting through Canada between the Northeast and MI is no longer certain. I spent a little over an hour waiting for US Customs at Port Huron this past fall (electronic signs at the 401/402 split indicated wait time at Detroit was less) and trucks were backed up on 402 for about 5 miles. Then there is always the northern gate at the Soo. I expect there would be less traffic there. It may get worse as the new US entry regulations go into effect this month.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.