fbpx

West Virginia Twisty Safari

Home Forums General discussion Ride Reports and Event Planning West Virginia Twisty Safari

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JONES WES
    Spectator

A small group of us from the DC area are planning a ride into West Virginia to plunder Appalachia of its apexes and switchbacks and I’m throwing out this request for ideas of don’t miss roads, sights, and local color for eating and sleeping spots. We’re departing the DC area Friday morning 4/13 and returning by Sunday midday. The general idea was to dive off into deepest darkest Appalachia in the area around Green Bank, Cass, Snowshoe and criss-cross the ridges moving generally clockwise in a loop that pops back out of the woods back up around Winchester. No firm schedule. We’ll eat when we’re hungry and sleep when the sun goes down – preferably in a bed.

Any advice from this esteemed group? The group right now is 3 or 4 K16GTs and possibly a few other experienced riders will join in the hunt.

Wes

ellenmhelms
    Spectator

I’ve also heard a lot about it a lot, the roads, sights, and local color for eating and sleeping spots. I am planning to be there in this June.. Will it be the perfect time to be there?

Create stunning online [url=http://www.photocite.fr/livre-photo/]album photo[/url] for your portfolio with Photocite.fr

AZgman
    Spectator

[HTML][/HTML]Smokehole road comes to mind…

I can send you my garmin routes from a 3 day romp last year..

Oh, and blue ridge mt road NE of Winchester

JONES WES
    Spectator

[QUOTE=BMWPhreak »][HTML][/HTML]Smokehole road comes to mind…

I can send you my garmin routes from a 3 day romp last year..

Oh, and blue ridge mt road NE of Winchester[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feed back! We just got back last night from the romp and found some pretty darn good roads and a great place to stay. We went out 55 to 28 south and road the sweepers all the way down to 39 and over to Marlinton. We did a loop out 39 to Richwood and then up 20 to 15 back over to 219 and down to stay at the Brazen Head Inn (fantastic rustic charm, food, music, and accommodations). The next day we road 66 over to 92 up to 250 back over the 219. We stayed on 219 N until we got to 50 and rode that all the way back to Winchester. By the time we got back to Annapolis it was nearly 800 miles in 2 days on some great twisty roads.

I have to say that if I was in love with my K16GT before this ride, it’s now a committed relationship. Long distance tourer comfort for the ride out/back from the mountains and a hooligan sport bike in the twisties. She dances pretty well for a fat girl.

Wes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.