Used 2001 R1100RT – What service neede?

Home Forums General discussion Motorcycle Talk – General Topics Used 2001 R1100RT – What service neede?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Badbear07 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

DickGoff
    Participant

I just bought a used 2001 R1100RT with 64K on it. I do not have the Service And Technical Booklet so I don’t know what service it has had or what is needed. Any suggestion about what item I should look at?

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

You need to take a look at a service schedule; there are a lot of items there. Very loosely it goes like this:

6k – oil, valves, TB sync
    12k – air filter, plugs, gear oils
    24k – alternator belt, fuel filter
    annually – brake fluid

Every service you inspect tires, brakes, cables, etc.

With 64k on it, I would change the oil at 66k and see if the date code on the alternator belt looks fairly recent and see if the air filter is clean. If those things look good, do EVERYTHING at 72k and you’re back on schedule.

DickGoff
    Participant

The inside of my windshield has a yellowish film on it. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I can scratch of with my finger nail but I worry about what else I might do to it without damaging it.
    Dick Goff

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

It already is damaged. It’ll look a lot nicer if you can remove the rest of the film, but the best solution might just be a new windshield. It’s just a part, like a tire.

My K75RT windshield did that and I managed to remove the film by immersing it in hot soapy water and then lightly scraping it.

Badbear07
    Participant

Try using the clear Plexiglas cleaner made by 3m or Mothers – works great on headlights and gauges.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.