Throttle cable upgrade

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  AntonLargiader 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

charlespaul
    Participant

In the June ’09 issue there’s a very nice article about upgrading the throttle cable, complete with a list of part numbers. However, none of the part numbers make any sense. When I check the microfiche for my ’99 K1200LT, the published part number shows a 5-speed transmission intermediate shaft. And, the provided part number for the “repair kit accelerator cable deflection” comes up blank. I’d like to do this upgrade but I need the real part numbers. Anyone have them?

marchyman
    Participant

Guess: one of the items on this page…

[url]http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0555&mospid=47964&btnr=32_1268&hg=32&fg=20[/url]

charlespaul
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll probably wind up calling the dealer to see if they can figure this out. It would have been nice if the author of this article was identified in OTL so I could contact him directly.

marchyman
    Participant

[QUOTE=charlespaul »]Thanks. I’ll probably wind up calling the dealer to see if they can figure this out. It would have been nice if the author of this article was identified in OTL so I could contact him directly.[/QUOTE]

Just got my issue. The author (Anton) was identified in the table of contents.

Checking the part number for the kit gives the correct result at realoem:

[url]http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=32+72+7+691+990[/url]

The part numbers the kit applies to on the K12LT seem to be OK, too?

Part 32 73 7 694 490 (Throttle cable, break contact)
    Part 32 73 7 694 491 (Accelerator cable, connector)

What’s the issue? :confused:

AntonLargiader
    Participant

The issue is: the K-bike stuff in the article is wrong. I was misled by an error in the parts listings where the kit was shown to apply to those bikes (Marc found the same thing in realoem.com). It will be corrected in the August issue. There is an upgrade part for the K-bikes but it’s not the same part, and the new cable is not curved (at least not on the K12RS).

For instance the K12 fiche shows the 990 kit applying to the 772 cable, in Marc’s link. But the 772 cable is not curved, and the cables fiche it shows that cable must have a different upgraded part.

Hopefully the various dealership parts guys are aware of the correct part. I have ordered some of the parts to try to straighten it out.

However, if charlespaul got an input shaft I bet he turned the 32 into a 23 at the beginning of the part number. 23 is transmission, 32 is steering.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.