fbpx

Sep issue: Super Simple Suspension

Home Forums General discussion OTL Magazine – News and Discussion Sep issue: Super Simple Suspension

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  HUTCHINSON KARL 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

marchyman
    Participant

Interesting article regarding suspension set-up in the September issue. One question for those in the know… the article notes

[quote]
    Most important however — front and rear sag should be similar.
    [/quote]

I’d never seen that before. I usually go as a percentage of total travel and on my GS use about 30% rear sag and about 25% front sag. Given that the front has less total travel that makes my front quite different from the rear. But then I don’t really know what I’m doing, just going with other things I’ve read and what feels good to me.

Comments?

HUTCHINSON KARL
    Participant

marchyman,

Like you, I was taught to go with percentage of travel. I also noted two other problems in the article.

1. Continuing after the sentence you quoted, the author states that the end of the bike with more sag will compress more over bumps. Compression is a function of spring rate, and preload, which controls sag, does not change spring rate.

2. The math at the bottom of the first column on page 20 is incorrect. 221 – 131 = 90, not 70, and 557 – 545 = 12, not 32.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.