fbpx

Scratched GS valve covers

Home Forums General discussion Motorcycle Talk – General Topics Scratched GS valve covers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  WILL GUYAN 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

WREYFORD DONALD
    Participant

[QUOTE=Todd Nordwig »]pics? before and after, if ya gots ’em.

just curious how it turned out..[/QUOTE]

Todd,

Here are the before and after photo’s, not perfect but good enough so they are not noticed at 70 mph 😉

It takes a little “elbow grease” but the results are worth it to me (being A.R. and all).

And YES for all you GS’ers my GS has been VERY dirty. I simply like it to look good when it isn’t slinging mud 🙂

radar

WILL GUYAN
    Participant

Since your valve covers are not road rash resistant, I suggest you install a set of engine protection bars. Money sell spent, as they’ll handle any non violent tip-over rather well. I like the Hepco and Becker’s.

TIMOTHY BARD
    Participant

Don’t know the answer to your question. My GS wears it’s scratches with pride, it earned every one of them.

WREYFORD DONALD
    Participant

Hello all,

How do you cover/hide/remove the scratches on the valve covers of a R1100GS??? P.O. scratched the covers.

Ideas?

WREYFORD DONALD
    Participant

[QUOTE=beemerphile1 »]Don’t know the answer to your question. My GS wears it’s scratches with pride, it earned every one of them.[/QUOTE]

OK, solved the problem!

1. Used JB weld to fill the scratches, allowed to dry over several days.

2. Wet sanded it smooth to original contour with 600 grit sandpaper.

3. Finished it up with 0000 steel wool.

4. Painted with the original Wurth (ouch $$$) paint in a “rattle can”.

5. Using multiple thin coats, allowing plenty of drying time and polishing/roughing with the 0000 steel wool between coats.

6. Allowed to dry over several days, then used a high quality car wax to polish them out!

The may not be back to pristine condition but look a LOT better!!:D

Yes, I know most of you would NOT spend the time and effort to do this. Hey I’m retired and it’s winter time in the Rockies!! 🙂 😉 😀

radar

Todd Nordwig
    Participant

pics? before and after, if ya gots ’em.

just curious how it turned out..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.