This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Adam Arcane 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Beemer-me-up
    Participant

[SIZE=”3″]What can I say. Very nicely done. Though I’m not the target audience for this bike, I hope BMW sells a qazillon of them. This should allow them to build my next Beemer, the R 12XX RS/RT watercooled boxer. Will Guyan, keep up the good work. Only nine more days until I start my trek to the RA Rally. Can’t wait…later[/SIZE]

cjack
    Participant

Well here’s the thing…I would love to have an S1KRR, the lack of luggage and shorter bars than K1200S makes it not likely. I love the K12S, would like to have a K13S. The latest one made was last fall and they aren’t the most updated…I guess. So I want one, but since I am going to pay for it, I would like a newer one. With the latest cam chain guard, etc.
    Maybe I could tour on an S1K, but tghe K13S seems better for that to me.

brewmeister
    Participant

As far as I,m concerened it’s a crotch rocket plain and simple. I did’nt like em back when I was 23 yo starting out on BMW’s I still think they are not worth the press time,to each his own.This copy will be on the bottom of a bird cage! Come on BMW come out with a 500 LB 800 to 1000 tourning bike like the old R100RT’s. Rant off,carry on!

gtlloyd
    Participant

It’s nice that the RA is going all in on this bike, but ironically I did not see one of them at this years Rally. Maybe I missed it, but the other three people I’ve spoken to that were there did not see one either. Makes me wonder what the real level of interest is in the bike among the current membership.

Beemer-me-up
    Participant

Last that I read, It was the Numbr one selling BMW in the US.

gtlloyd
    Participant

Yes, I’ve read that also and have no reason to doubt it. Apparently none of those people are RA members that would ride them to the Rally.

ackgs
    Participant

It has been over a year now since the S1000RR/Racing slant began in the OTL. Has that content change translated into a membership net gain for the RA?

Casey
    Participant

FYI, there were by my estimate less than 5 RRs at the MOA Rally as well.

I’m glad that BMW has found a market for the bike, but as mentioned above, has the membership of the RA been increasing with owners of the RR? While I applaud OTL for their sometimes exhaustive coverage of the RR, I’d like to see more articles that cater to the majority of the readers.

kocook
    Participant

I know I am late to this thread, but there is another group of RA members who are very busy upgrading their skills. You will find them at the track on their RRs. They are doing a lot to advance the BMW brand.

Adam Arcane
    Participant

The new, upgraded 2012 bike reflects the testing and racing at the world level. The subtle improvements are coming, and this season should see some seriously good results, especially with two world class riders.

Let’s remember this super bike was designed to take a percentage of this market world wide and it has been a success. Imagine a Superbike (1000c) with a three year warranty! Yet there it is. It’s not a street bike per se, but it’s certainly rideable on the street if you can deal with clip on bars. The S1000RR OTL edition was also unique on the market.

Remember that it’s the magazine’s job to report on the latest stuff coming down the pike. QI try to enjoy all the technology even if I’m not their target audience. The bike is still beautifully crafted and hyper powerful and tame enough for stop light GP… Racing has again become important to BMW, and that’s a very good thing. There’s nothing more thrilling that watching these single track machines banging bars at speed.

rickks
    Participant

First saw the RR at 2010 World Superbike in Salt Lake City. Followed that rider into Colorado after the races. Later that year after my brother bought his RR, we took turns touring on it through Death Valley, Nevada, Utah and the Grand Canyon (what a ride that was!!). I might tour on that bike, and wont say it is easy. But, when you get to the twisty roads, WOW! First bike I have ever ridden that actually made me feel like I knew how to ride.

The road into the North Rim was enjoyed greatly.

Adam Arcane
    Participant

Right freaking on! There’s an outfit making luggage for it now, and if the bars are slightly raised, it becomes possible to ride it long distance. Land Speed record holder rode San Diego BMW’s RR to Bonneville salt flats last year, set the record, and rode it back home again. His lady friend Erin Hunter rode her own HP2 Sport. Andy’s 63 years young! They have a story in the Jan/Feb OTL.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.