This topic contains 62 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  rwridle 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author

LtDan
    Participant

Count me in, especially for the track competition. So glad to see the RA is having this event at the Biltmore this year.

Visian
    Participant

[QUOTE=Adam Arcane »]See you in the South, Visian![/QUOTE]

We’ll have to find you a bike to ride around the Adventure Track… maybe on a day ride.

Visian
    Participant

… and the one in Asheville doesn’t count.

[URL=”http://www.mastgeneralstore.com”]Mast General Stores[/URL] are a Western Carolinas mainstay. They’re full of great country-style stuff – including a great selection of interesting camping accessories. And they just so happen to make excellent waypoints for an all-day, self-guided dual sport ride: 320 miles of great twisties mixed in with an excellent selection of forest service roads.

[URL=”http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2455110″]Click here to see a map[/URL], since this forum doesn’t support embeds.

Pictures of you with your bike in front of each store, or it didn’t happen! :nopity

More information in your scorebook, which you can get by [URL=”mailto:ians@belsouth.net?subject=Register me for the Adventure RAid.”]e-mailing the event manager[/URL].

[IMG]http://visian.smugmug.com/Category/AdventureRAid/i-cq8pmwz/0/XL/Mast_brochure_cover-XL.png[/IMG]

LtDan
    Participant

We’ll be bringing some lighter bikes over to the Rally for any of you that want to try out the Adventure Track, or just to explore some of the fantastic Dual Sport riding in the area. Bikes include a 200, a couple of 250’s and some 650’s. Available by the day or 1/2 day, just give us a call at 865-448-6090 for more info.

Visian
    Participant

[QUOTE=LtDan »]We’ll be bringing some lighter bikes over to the Rally for any of you that want to try out the Adventure Track, or just to explore some of the fantastic Dual Sport riding in the area. Bikes include a 200, a couple of 250’s and some 650’s. Available by the day or 1/2 day, just give us a call at 865-448-6090 for more info.[/QUOTE]

Here’s a great [URL=”http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2254301″]back-way ride to the Biltmore[/URL]… perfect for one of Lt. Dan’s bikes.

JACOBS KAREN

Is that 441 Vision?
    [QUOTE=Visian »]Here’s a great [URL=”http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2254301″]back-way ride to the Biltmore[/URL]… perfect for one of Lt. Dan’s bikes.[/QUOTE]

Visian
    Participant

No… not 441, which is a good pavement ride that hooks up with the BRP, if pavement is your pleasure.

This ride departs from I-40 in NC, Exit 7, Harmon Den Road. It’s unpaved and goes up to the Max Patch area, where the Appalachian Trail passes through. If you walk out and snap a pic of the USGS marker on Max Patch, you score GS BS points. There will be another secret GS BS location that will be put into the scorebook *only*.

From there you ride the Meadow Fork dirt road to NC209 as it passes through Spring Valley. NC209 has everything the Dragon does, except the squids. Spend an hour riding that one up to Hot Springs and back… it’s a great ride.

The dualsport ride continues on Baltimore Branch… the original way from Spring Valley to Asheville. All unpaved, it comes down the hill, crossed the French Broad and ends in Marshall… a very nice place for lunch.

From there, it’s just a short jaunt down to the rally….

LtDan
    Participant

Plan on leaving the rally grounds at 11 AM sharp, eat before or bring a snack, no time for eattin on this ride. We’ll blast down toward Cullowhee, NC ending at the Wayehutta OHV Trail system. This is a great area that is perfect for the big bikes. All trails are marked as to level of difficulty similar to a ski resort with green, blue, and black ratings. Please remember there is a $5 charge to ride this area. On the way back we’ll ride Wolf Mountain Rd then a relaxing run on the Blue Ridge Pkwy back to the Biltmore.
    [URL=”http://youtu.be/3iSRokYbqug”]CLICK HERE[/URL] for a video of the trails.

Click on pic to enlarge.

vetsurginc
    Participant

What about sidecars on the ride?

LtDan
    Participant

As far as the Wayehutta Trails are concerned I would think that your rig might be a bit too wide in places, and I believe they have either a 50″ or 60″ max. width, probably to keep side by sides off the trails.
    There will be other DS rides staying primarily on the Forest Roads though.

LtDan
    Participant

As far as the Wayehutta Trails are concerned I would think that your rig might be a bit too wide in places, and I believe they have either a 50″ or 60″ max. width, probably to keep side by sides off the trails.
    There will be other DS rides staying primarily on the Forest Roads though.

vetsurginc
    Participant

Thanks for the response. Dirt and gravel forest service roads are probably the best for me. While I have experience single track in Dirt (Mad River Enduro on a Yamaha XT500) I’m a novice with a sidecar in the woods.

Looking forward to seeing the other DS ride descriptions as they become available.

doug maccoy

vetsurginc
    Participant

Forgot to mention, button still not present on registration but please count me in for as much as I can do, and receiving information on all the doings! Thanks!

jttele
    Participant

[QUOTE=Visian »]No… not 441, which is a good pavement ride that hooks up with the BRP, if pavement is your pleasure.

This ride departs from I-40 in NC, Exit 7, Harmon Den Road. It’s unpaved and goes up to the Max Patch area, where the Appalachian Trail passes through. If you walk out and snap a pic of the USGS marker on Max Patch, you score GS BS points. There will be another secret GS BS location that will be put into the scorebook *only*.

From there you ride the Meadow Fork dirt road to NC209 as it passes through Spring Valley. NC209 has everything the Dragon does, except the squids. Spend an hour riding that one up to Hot Springs and back… it’s a great ride.

The dualsport ride continues on Baltimore Branch… the original way from Spring Valley to Asheville. All unpaved, it comes down the hill, crossed the French Broad and ends in Marshall… a very nice place for lunch.

From there, it’s just a short jaunt down to the rally….[/QUOTE]

So you’re not going to route them up Hurricane Creek??? Don’t you want to see some good GS carnage at the rally??? 🙂

jttele
    Participant

[QUOTE=LtDan »]As far as the Wayehutta Trails are concerned I would think that your rig might be a bit too wide in places, and I believe they have either a 50″ or 60″ max. width, probably to keep side by sides off the trails.
    There will be other DS rides staying primarily on the Forest Roads though.[/QUOTE]

So they’ve improved on the “easy” trails at Wayehutta in the last few years I guess? Last time I was there we ripped both saddlebags off a Honda XR650 trying to navigate the “easy” outer loop trail. Of course that was probably about 15 years ago or so…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.