This topic contains 35 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  bill42 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Adam Arcane
    Participant

OTL is beginning the task of building a svelte, powerful, compelling cafe bike from an unloved, beat up and unwanted
    donor R100RT. Go ahead, state your ire at people who’d ruin a great machine. Truth is, there are a plethora of these bikes out there. This one was purchased for $3K. The R100 platform will be the palette from which a custom designed and built authentic airhead cafe racer is crafted. Your input is welcome, pro and con. OTL can take any jabs, and redress them within the context at hand.
    We have input from Master BMW Builder Chris Hodgson, German tech/artist/OTL correspondent Harald Sauer, and many others. We’ll keep it in your face in OTL magazine until it’s completed.

The donor bike graces the May OTL cover, and the mastermind and wallet behind this project is OTL Art Director, Bill Costello, famous within BMW circles world wide for his touching video on the restoration of his Dad Richard’s R50.

George Nyktas
    Keymaster

Will – Do you have a timeline?

bill42
    Participant

Thanks Will, OTL Editor, for painting me in such an illustrious light. Let me stress as I will in the upcoming article that I am very much a novice at bike building. However I hope to make up for that fact by relying on my enthusiasm, severe optimism, and most of all, the master BMW Craftsmen I have surrounded myself with thanks to being part of the OTL staff. Since the magazine issue has not shipped yet, I don’t want to divulge too much. I look forward to hearing from people, and I am expecting some controversy which I will debate with pleasure. I am passionate about motorcycles and I love to hear from others who are as well.
    /bill

bill42
    Participant

Allow me to answer that, George.
    The original goal was to complete this project in just a few months, but very recently I have gotten word that there is an interest in this cafe project among many of our high level BMW friends and even bike builders. If we can gather more resources and outside help as far as advice or donated parts, then maybe we will take more time than originally expected and build ourselves a much higher level machine than originally anticipated. This project could take off in directions I can’t yet imagine, in just a month’s time. That is what makes this such an exciting project. After the first introductory article reaches our readers, who knows who will contact me here to offer assistance or suggest a great idea or more likely, tell me what an idiot I am!

George Nyktas
    Keymaster

Bill,

This sounds like a fascinating project. A few years ago I took the front end off a perfectly good R90/6 and replaced it with an Earles Leading Link Fork since the R90 was the mule for a sidecar rig. There were all sorts of details to consider – such as finding a bearing that fit the R90 and the Earles at the same time. I was able to find help from folks a lot more knowledgeable than me that allowed me to make that conversion work. With the resources you have at hand I think you will end up with an outstanding result. Caution: Don’t put a ceiling on the budget yet as you may not be able to finish without some flexibility on the upper limit. [url]http://www.bmwra.org/forum/images/icons/icon7.png[/url]

BoxerCafe.com
    Participant

Hello Bill,
    My name is Craig Schmidt, I own BoxerCafe.com . I saw your article in OTL about the cafe project and that you are looking for resources. I think I can help. You can see the parts we offer at [url]www.boxercafe.com[/url] (I ran 1/2 page ads in OTL all last year). If you want to visit, my number is 479-359-2429 or you can email me at [email]info@boxercafe.com[/email] . I have a few ideas about this subject.
    Thank you,
    Craig

Radar41
    Participant

Looking forward to see how and what you do with this project.

Please take lots of photo’s, notes, etc., and tell us of the problems you have to overcome AND how you solve them. It would be interesting to know the REAL cost of the project.

New life for an old machine??

GO FOR IT!! 🙂

bill42
    Participant

Thanks Craig. I have checked out your parts on your site numerous times, and I certainly will email you tomorrow to hear your ideas and opinions!

/bill

[QUOTE=BoxerCafe.com »]Hello Bill,
    My name is Craig Schmidt, I own BoxerCafe.com . I saw your article in OTL about the cafe project and that you are looking for resources. I think I can help. You can see the parts we offer at [url]www.boxercafe.com[/url] (I ran 1/2 page ads in OTL all last year). If you want to visit, my number is 479-359-2429 or you can email me at [email]info@boxercafe.com[/email] . I have a few ideas about this subject.
    Thank you,
    Craig[/QUOTE]

bill42
    Participant

Thanks Don! I am making a few changes to the project based on the fact that 5000 people are now watching it being built. For instance I have pretty much decided to switch to spoke wheels instead of my original plan to powder coat the alloy wheels. So my cost is going to be higher than the bargain basement cost I had originally planned. Good idea though- I will tally up the parts and give a total at the end for the readers.Thanks!
    /bill

[QUOTE=Radar41 »]Looking forward to see how and what you do with this project.

Please take lots of photo’s, notes, etc., and tell us of the problems you have to overcome AND how you solve them. It would be interesting to know the REAL cost of the project.

New life for an old machine??

GO FOR IT!! :)[/QUOTE]

1bmwmc
    Participant

Having only owned 1 airhead (1981 R100S clone from a crashed RT) over many 2 wheeled years I also will be watching the progression and transformation of this BMW.

My personal preference would be to keep project on the simple/bargain basement side – I find a functional practial bike always more interesting than a collection one off exotic pieces. After all the end result

should be something to ride and not worry about getting a piece of art dirty.

By all means however good luck on your project and enjoy the process as well as the end result.

bill42
    Participant

[QUOTE=1bmwmc »]Having only owned 1 airhead (1981 R100S clone from a crashed RT) over many 2 wheeled years I also will be watching the progression and transformation of this BMW.

My personal preference would be to keep project on the simple/bargain basement side – I find a functional practial bike always more interesting than a collection one off exotic pieces. After all the end result

should be something to ride and not worry about getting a piece of art dirty.

By all means however good luck on your project and enjoy the process as well as the end result.[/QUOTE]

I have now met quite a few people who have converted RT bikes into naked or S bikini faired airheads. That is basically what I am doing, except I am going just a bit more custom. By definition, a cafe racer was never a clean polished show bike with exotic parts. While I am seeking out parts to use that in many cases are made by small machinist companies, my first priority is that none of the parts take away from the practicality ok the motorcycle. Within the confines of the way I will ride it of course. For instance, I never have more time than a few hours to ride, so I don’t require bags or racks. A backpack will suffice. The hand position will be maybe one inch lower than euro bars. I want to lean forward and low but not too much like a real racing style cafe racer. The seat that is being built is designed for airheads. Yes it will have less padding than stock but I also want to sit lower. It will have front and rear fenders for the occasional puddle. And as for worrying about getting it dirty, I am going for the urban look with a matte black paint job. The more dirt and patina, the better it will look! I already have a 1958 R50 that is restored with a new paint job. That one I worry about scratching and getting dirty. This project bike is my idea of the ultimate riding machine- it will be the way an airhead would have been sold by BMW if I was the lead designer.
    Thanks for writing!

tlcoulter
    Participant

Attached are a couple photos of my ’78 R80. It has been converted to an R100, and it has dual plugs, electronic ignition, Epco exhausts, Emgo fairing, stainless fenders from flatracer.com, modified Corbin seat, etc. It is a work in progress![[{“fid”:”6636″,”view_mode”:”main_image”,”type”:”media”,”attributes”:{“class”:”media-element file-main-image”}}]]

bill42
    Participant

Thanks for posting pics of your ride Tom. Bike looks sweet! We are putting the same Epco Exhaust on the OTL bike. How does it sound? I requested our exhaust to be scotch-brited or sanded by Epco and they actually charged a bit less than polished stainless for that finish. It looks like you have the Monza gas cap from Flatracer as well? ANother piece we are adding to the OTL bike. How lucky you are to already have spoke rims. We are learning that is costs a fortune to build a pair. Your bike really is beautiful. It is basically a slightly modified version of BMW’s S-bike with little bits like the corbin seat and stainless fenders to make it more personalized.
    Nice job and keep us posted if you make changes.

/bill

[QUOTE=tlcoulter »]Attached are a couple photos of my ’78 R80. It has been converted to an R100, and it has dual plugs, electronic ignition, Epco exhausts, Emgo fairing, stainless fenders from flatracer.com, modified Corbin seat, etc. It is a work in progress![[{“fid”:”6636″,”view_mode”:”main_image”,”type”:”media”,”attributes”:{“class”:”media-element file-main-image”}}]][/QUOTE]

tlcoulter
    Participant

[QUOTE=bill42 »]Thanks for posting pics of your ride Tom. Bike looks sweet! We are putting the same Epco Exhaust on the OTL bike. How does it sound? I requested our exhaust to be scotch-brited or sanded by Epco and they actually charged a bit less than polished stainless for that finish. It looks like you have the Monza gas cap from Flatracer as well? ANother piece we are adding to the OTL bike. How lucky you are to already have spoke rims. We are learning that is costs a fortune to build a pair. Your bike really is beautiful. It is basically a slightly modified version of BMW’s S-bike with little bits like the corbin seat and stainless fenders to make it more personalized.
    Nice job and keep us posted if you make changes.

/bill[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliments! The Epco exhaust is loud, but not obnoxiously loud. They pop and crack a lot, but I’m learning to like it (I’m 65, so it doesn’t take much to excite me!). The bike had MAC exhausts when I got it, and they are quiet in comparison. Yes, the monza cap is from flatracer. The fenders and gas cap are both from flatracer, and they are superbly made. The fit is just spectacular.

bill42
    Participant

Ah, I had the Mac 2 into 1 exhaust too at first. It was so loud it sounded like open pipes! It is going out on ebay. Sounds like I will love the sport mufflers on the Epco exhausts. A little crackle and pop for breakfast is just what I need as I already have a gentleman’s R50 that is super quiet. Can’t wait to hear it but it will be a while before we fire the OTL bike up.

[QUOTE=tlcoulter »]Thanks for the compliments! The Epco exhaust is loud, but not obnoxiously loud. They pop and crack a lot, but I’m learning to like it (I’m 65, so it doesn’t take much to excite me!). The bike had MAC exhausts when I got it, and they are quiet in comparison. Yes, the monza cap is from flatracer. The fenders and gas cap are both from flatracer, and they are superbly made. The fit is just spectacular.[/QUOTE]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.