This topic contains 35 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  bill42 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

DAVID NORRIS
    Participant

Having only owned 1 airhead (1981 R100S clone from a crashed RT) over many 2 wheeled years I also will be watching the progression and transformation of this BMW.

My personal preference would be to keep project on the simple/bargain basement side – I find a functional practial bike always more interesting than a collection one off exotic pieces. After all the end result

should be something to ride and not worry about getting a piece of art dirty.

By all means however good luck on your project and enjoy the process as well as the end result.

bill42
    Participant

[QUOTE=1bmwmc »]Having only owned 1 airhead (1981 R100S clone from a crashed RT) over many 2 wheeled years I also will be watching the progression and transformation of this BMW.

My personal preference would be to keep project on the simple/bargain basement side – I find a functional practial bike always more interesting than a collection one off exotic pieces. After all the end result

should be something to ride and not worry about getting a piece of art dirty.

By all means however good luck on your project and enjoy the process as well as the end result.[/QUOTE]

I have now met quite a few people who have converted RT bikes into naked or S bikini faired airheads. That is basically what I am doing, except I am going just a bit more custom. By definition, a cafe racer was never a clean polished show bike with exotic parts. While I am seeking out parts to use that in many cases are made by small machinist companies, my first priority is that none of the parts take away from the practicality ok the motorcycle. Within the confines of the way I will ride it of course. For instance, I never have more time than a few hours to ride, so I don’t require bags or racks. A backpack will suffice. The hand position will be maybe one inch lower than euro bars. I want to lean forward and low but not too much like a real racing style cafe racer. The seat that is being built is designed for airheads. Yes it will have less padding than stock but I also want to sit lower. It will have front and rear fenders for the occasional puddle. And as for worrying about getting it dirty, I am going for the urban look with a matte black paint job. The more dirt and patina, the better it will look! I already have a 1958 R50 that is restored with a new paint job. That one I worry about scratching and getting dirty. This project bike is my idea of the ultimate riding machine- it will be the way an airhead would have been sold by BMW if I was the lead designer.
    Thanks for writing!

COULTER THOMAS
    Participant

Attached are a couple photos of my ’78 R80. It has been converted to an R100, and it has dual plugs, electronic ignition, Epco exhausts, Emgo fairing, stainless fenders from flatracer.com, modified Corbin seat, etc. It is a work in progress![[{“fid”:”6636″,”view_mode”:”main_image”,”type”:”media”,”attributes”:{“class”:”media-element file-main-image”}}]]

bill42
    Participant

Thanks for posting pics of your ride Tom. Bike looks sweet! We are putting the same Epco Exhaust on the OTL bike. How does it sound? I requested our exhaust to be scotch-brited or sanded by Epco and they actually charged a bit less than polished stainless for that finish. It looks like you have the Monza gas cap from Flatracer as well? ANother piece we are adding to the OTL bike. How lucky you are to already have spoke rims. We are learning that is costs a fortune to build a pair. Your bike really is beautiful. It is basically a slightly modified version of BMW’s S-bike with little bits like the corbin seat and stainless fenders to make it more personalized.
    Nice job and keep us posted if you make changes.

/bill

[QUOTE=tlcoulter »]Attached are a couple photos of my ’78 R80. It has been converted to an R100, and it has dual plugs, electronic ignition, Epco exhausts, Emgo fairing, stainless fenders from flatracer.com, modified Corbin seat, etc. It is a work in progress![[{“fid”:”6636″,”view_mode”:”main_image”,”type”:”media”,”attributes”:{“class”:”media-element file-main-image”}}]][/QUOTE]

COULTER THOMAS
    Participant

[QUOTE=bill42 »]Thanks for posting pics of your ride Tom. Bike looks sweet! We are putting the same Epco Exhaust on the OTL bike. How does it sound? I requested our exhaust to be scotch-brited or sanded by Epco and they actually charged a bit less than polished stainless for that finish. It looks like you have the Monza gas cap from Flatracer as well? ANother piece we are adding to the OTL bike. How lucky you are to already have spoke rims. We are learning that is costs a fortune to build a pair. Your bike really is beautiful. It is basically a slightly modified version of BMW’s S-bike with little bits like the corbin seat and stainless fenders to make it more personalized.
    Nice job and keep us posted if you make changes.

/bill[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliments! The Epco exhaust is loud, but not obnoxiously loud. They pop and crack a lot, but I’m learning to like it (I’m 65, so it doesn’t take much to excite me!). The bike had MAC exhausts when I got it, and they are quiet in comparison. Yes, the monza cap is from flatracer. The fenders and gas cap are both from flatracer, and they are superbly made. The fit is just spectacular.

bill42
    Participant

Ah, I had the Mac 2 into 1 exhaust too at first. It was so loud it sounded like open pipes! It is going out on ebay. Sounds like I will love the sport mufflers on the Epco exhausts. A little crackle and pop for breakfast is just what I need as I already have a gentleman’s R50 that is super quiet. Can’t wait to hear it but it will be a while before we fire the OTL bike up.

[QUOTE=tlcoulter »]Thanks for the compliments! The Epco exhaust is loud, but not obnoxiously loud. They pop and crack a lot, but I’m learning to like it (I’m 65, so it doesn’t take much to excite me!). The bike had MAC exhausts when I got it, and they are quiet in comparison. Yes, the monza cap is from flatracer. The fenders and gas cap are both from flatracer, and they are superbly made. The fit is just spectacular.[/QUOTE]

COULTER THOMAS
    Participant

[QUOTE=bill42 »]Ah, I had the Mac 2 into 1 exhaust too at first. It was so loud it sounded like open pipes! It is going out on ebay. Sounds like I will love the sport mufflers on the Epco exhausts. A little crackle and pop for breakfast is just what I need as I already have a gentleman’s R50 that is super quiet. Can’t wait to hear it but it will be a while before we fire the OTL bike up.[/QUOTE]
    The MAC exhaust I had was the dual, stock-looking system. It was barely louder than stock. I have looked at their 2 into 1 systems. How much do you want for yours?

I also am interested in rear sets and lower handlebars (not necessarily clip-ons). I have heard that flatracer was developing their own rear sets, but I don’t yet see them on their website. My only concern with lower handlebars is hitting the gas tank.

bill42
    Participant

My 2-into 1 MAC exhaust is in excellent shape. I repacked it myself with new fiberglass which cut out the high chatter. It was just a bit loud for the sound I am going for. One thing I liked is how light the system was.
    I will sell it for the exact price I paid for it- $150 plus shipping.
    I used it for 5 minutes.
    The 2 best options for rear sets in my humble opinion at Boxer Metal rear sets and the ones that Flatracer are about to release which are Tarozzis with Flatracer designed linkages. The difference between the two is that the Boxer metal ones mount only a little further back than stock and the Flatracer ones will go where the rear pillion pegs are. I am not sure which are better yet as I haven’t tried both, but the Boxer Metal ones are ready now and are likely cheaper. The Tarozzi Flatracer ones will look less conspicuous as they are cast and not billet machined.
    I have clip-ons and they do not hit the tank. The stops set by BMW for the R100RT don’t let the bars hit the tank.

COULTER THOMAS
    Participant

Let me think about that. It’s tempting, but I really like the look and sound of the Epco Sport exhausts. I wish you hadn’t told me about Boxer Metal; I found lots of stuff I might need to purchase!!!

bill42
    Participant

[QUOTE=tlcoulter »]Let me think about that. It’s tempting, but I really like the look and sound of the Epco Sport exhausts. I wish you hadn’t told me about Boxer Metal; I found lots of stuff I might need to purchase!!![/

Boxer Metal makes awesome stuff the rear set quality is unmatched. He makes a cool BMW logo cap for the triple clamp too that I have.

COULTER THOMAS
    Participant

[QUOTE=bill42 »][QUOTE=tlcoulter »]Let me think about that. It’s tempting, but I really like the look and sound of the Epco Sport exhausts. I wish you hadn’t told me about Boxer Metal; I found lots of stuff I might need to purchase!!![/

Boxer Metal makes awesome stuff the rear set quality is unmatched. He makes a cool BMW logo cap for the triple clamp too that I have.[/QUOTE]

I ordered his Air Box Eliminator Kit last night. Have you had any experience using individual air pods, rather than the air box?

bill42
    Participant

I know that it requires you to rejet your carbs so I put that off for another time.
    I suggest you contact Chris from Boxer Metal on his site and ask him questions. He is extremely knowledgable with modifying airheads. Tell him Bill from OTL magazine sent you!

COULTER THOMAS
    Participant

Have you decided on clip-ons. I like the look of them, but I don’t want to risk banging the fuel tank. My steering stop is drilled through, so I will be able to reduce the steering movement somewhat. I also looked at Boxer Metal’s flat bars. I would like to be able to use my present cables, and have new, lower bars installed easily!

bill42
    Participant

[QUOTE=tlcoulter »]Have you decided on clip-ons. I like the look of them, but I don’t want to risk banging the fuel tank. My steering stop is drilled through, so I will be able to reduce the steering movement somewhat. I also looked at Boxer Metal’s flat bars. I would like to be able to use my present cables, and have new, lower bars installed easily![/QUOTE]

Yes, I have the Tarozzi clip-ons installed. While they don’t come close to banging the tank when mounted below the top tree as they are supposed to be, I am mounting mine on top of the triple tree which doesn’t look as nice but it raises them up to a level that doesn’t make my arms and neck hurt after 30 seconds!

COULTER THOMAS
    Participant

[QUOTE=bill42 »]Yes, I have the Tarozzi clip-ons installed. While they don’t come close to banging the tank when mounted below the top tree as they are supposed to be, I am mounting mine on top of the triple tree which doesn’t look as nice but it raises them up to a level that doesn’t make my arms and neck hurt after 30 seconds![/QUOTE]

Do you have any photos of them installed? Is your steering stop OEM, or does it have a bolt and nut through it to reduce the steering limits?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.