fbpx

Passenger backrest options? Advice needed.

Home Forums General discussion Bike Gear and Farkles Passenger backrest options? Advice needed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Casey
    Spectator

I’m about 40 days away from coming home from my current deployment and taking possession of my 2011 RT. As if I needed more reason to be excited about getting home!

I’ve been looking online for passenger backrests, and haven’t had a lot of luck. I’m pretty sure that I’ll eventually get a topcase with a backrest pad on it, but in the mean time I’d like to get something that the Mrs can lean back on.

I really liked the looks and design of the Pirates Lair backrest, but they’ve stopped making them.

If anyone has ideas or could point me in the right direction of a website, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks for you time.
    Casey

ANTON LARGIADER
    Spectator

Top cases rock (I mean that in a good way). I would go straight to that and skip the add-on backrest.

I can understand the desire for a backrest, and I’ve installed one for long trips in the past but for shorter rides you might want to try going without one. Good posture and having a real interest in riding make a passenger backrest unnecessary, and relying on a backrest can make for an uncomfortable ride. The best use for one is to provide a reassurance of support without being in active use, if you know what I mean. That’s where I find passengers to appreciate them the most, and a topcase is perfect for that (plus it’s easily removable).

Also I just think a new bike should be enjoyed as-is before you decide that some add-ons are needed.

Casey
    Spectator

Anton,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been checking out some topcases (currently, I’m digging the Givi with an AdMore lighting system installed).

I plan on riding my bike in the “factory” configuration a good long while before I plan on any ergonomic farkles. But being stuck over here in Iraq, I’ve got a list of other goodies to consider..GPS (and mounting options), tank bags, aux lighting, fuse panels…mmmmmm:D

I really liked the looks of the passenger backrest that Pirates Lair, but I guess they stopped making them for the RT. And I didn’t know if there were any other options out there in cyberspace.

35 days until I meet my bike!!

C

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.