fbpx

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  BERT BRUMFIELD 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

JIM BAKER
    Participant

Maybe I’ve missed it but will there be food vendors on site as there were at last years rally in Idaho or will campers have to go off site for all meals?

Thanks
    Jim

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

Hopefully Debbi will chime in here, but my understanding is that Biltmore is providing food and coffee. Whether that extends to real dinner fare, I can’t tell you.

JIM BAKER
    Participant

How about it Debbi. I know, in the past, the RA hasn’t been as active with food vendors as the MOA but … speaking for myself, if it’s a rainy morning I hate to suit up to ride into town to get a decent breakfast. On site vendors are a huge plus. Eating meals at the Biltmore restaurants will be expensive. Of course I realize Biltmore may have a policy concerning this. Just wanted some input on this from the powers that be.

Thanks
    Jim

KENNITH OSBORNE
    Participant

I talked with a friend of mine who just moved from Asheville and she highly recommended a restaurant at the Biltmore in the old stables that she said was very good and not that expensive. Don’t know if they do breakfast.

HUDSPETH TIM
    Participant

[QUOTE=Pastor Passum »]…….Of course I realize Biltmore may have a……….[/QUOTE]Deerpark is very good, and not terribly expensive. The thing is, on the grounds of the estate you’ll still have to suit up to ride to breakfast! 😉

[URL=”http://www.biltmore.com/explore/dining/overview.shtml”]Biltmore Estate dining options – click here.[/URL]

bmwloco
    Participant

When you’re on the Estate, you’re on the Estate. If food isn’t available “on site”, it’s a 2-3 mile ride out.

A right turn will take you to almost any franchise food you want. TGI Friday’s in the old Biltmore Dairy (some of the best ice cream, alas, no more).

Turn left, you have to go into Asheville proper for downtown eating. There’s also a BBQ place as you go through the hospital district.

scbmwrider
    Participant

[QUOTE=cabnfvr »]Deerpark is very good, and not terribly expensive. The thing is, on the grounds of the estate you’ll still have to suit up to ride to breakfast! 😉

[URL=”http://www.biltmore.com/explore/dining/overview.shtml”]Biltmore Estate dining options – click here.[/URL][/QUOTE]

A good excuse to ride the 30 or so miles to the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, Great breakfast and home made dinners !:D

DEBBI HARBOUR
    Participant

Biltmore will be setting up a booth and providing food for sale at Rally Central. This will include breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are a couple of great restaurants on the estate one of which is at the winery. I’ve had the pleasure of eating at the winery the past couple of times I’ve been on the estate.

In addition, there are numerous restaurants just outside the entrance to the estate and if you are adventurous, you can wander downtown to enjoy a wide variety of foods, including a great vegetarian place. When you register, we’ll have info on the many great places to eat in the Asheville area.

Then there’s the excuse to take a ride to find something to eat!

So, there’ll be food at Rally Central, on the estate and in the Asheville area.

Debbi Harbour, Rally Chair

bmwloco
    Participant

The best veggie in Asheville is Rosetta’s Kitchen. Rosetta is the daughter of a legendary BMW rider from the area, Wezel.

Wezel routinely rides the country on an R1100S with dirt tires lashed on the back. When the road gets tough, he puts on the knobbies. He also has a K75 with around 300,000 miles on it give or take.

Laughing Seed on Wall Street is good, but plan on dropping some major $. Conversely, you can eat a lot, and well, at Rosetta’s for under $8 with beer.

I’m not a vegetarian, but “she who must be obeyed” is, and I think she likes both evenly.

So, if you’re short on cash, go to Rosetta’s. If you like high line Veggie, go to Laughing Seed. If you’d rather have a good beer and pub food, go downstairs at Laughing seed into the pub. You can get burgers, fries, Guinness Stew and hear music almost any time of the week. Throw darts too.

Just another missive from an AsheVegas local.

DEBBI HARBOUR
    Participant

You are right about Laughing Seed, if you have the $ to spend and I did go downstairs to Jack of the Wood to try some of Greenman Ales. I’ll try Rosetta’s next trip. Not normally a veggie, but willing to try something new.

Asheville does have some good microbrews and we are working to feature one or more in the Bier Garden. In addition, the Bier Garden will be selling Biltmore Estate Wines, so I guess we’ll have to call it the Bier and Wine Garden.

If you have any other suggestions about great places to eat, let me know so we can get the word out to rally goers.

Debbi

bmwloco
    Participant

“Mamacitas” on South Broadway (downtown) is great budget Mexican “Subway” style. They make it as you order it, walk down the isle and pay. Like Rosetta’s, you can eat well and have a beer for under $8. “She who Must Be Obeyed” and I eat there about once a week and get out for under $12.

“Rio Burrito” is good for Californian type burritos. Eat one, you won’t need anything else for the day. $10 on average. Again, downtown on North Broadway.

Farther down Broadway, where it turns to Merrimon Avenue you have a few other good places to eat. “Area 51” in the Exxon Station is deceptive, it doesn’t look like much, but when you go inside, it’s cool. Good cheese steaks, burgers, shakes, etc.

Farther down you’ll find “Asheville Pizza Company”. During the week they have a good buffet with pasta, pizza and ample salad offerings. Lots of beer on tap. It’s located in an old movie theatre. You can catch a flick and eat a pizza there. Go early! It gets crowded.

The best BBQ in town is “12 Bones”. Lunch only, closed on the weekends. Racks of ribs, chicken, beef, collard greens, baked beans, cornbread. It’s down on the river (which means The French Broad River).

“The Moose Cafe” is adjacent to the Farmer’s Market on Brevard Road (you can see the estate from there). Breakfast. Big breakfast. Biscuits, big biscuits. Apple butter too.

West Asheville (exit 2, “Haywood Road” off of I-240 has a host of good places to eat. “The Lucky Otter” serves primo burritos and also has small Pizza’s. “Burgermeisters” is the best place to get the best burgers in town. Smoke free until 9pm nightly. “Pastabilities” a little farther down Haywood Road has good italian in a casual setting – it’s an old movie theater dating back to the 20’s.

I’ll go into detail about places to eat outside of Asheville in another post. Hendersonville, Brevard, Waynesville and Boone are nice day rides.

banagan
    Participant

we now have an insight on how to get there and where to find food …. are we going to have some kind of shower/restroom on the rally ground?

bmwloco
    Participant

Showers? The French Broad River runs adjacent to the Rally site.

Jump in! Don’t mind the Mercury that was dumped in years ago 30 miles upstream… just don’t eat the fish. 😮

BERT BRUMFIELD
    Participant

In addition to the food service Debbie mentioned at rally central, all of the on grounds restaurants are open foe lunch and the bistro and the dining room at the Inn are open till 9:00 pm and 9:30.

however, none of the on grounds restaurants are open for breakfast.

The hours are listed below.

I highly recommend that you eat at least once at The Stable Café at the estate, maybe while touring the house.

Bistro

• Jan. 1–Dec. 31:
    11:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m. (Monday –Thursday)
    11:00 a.m.–9:30 p.m. (Friday & Saturday)
    12:00 noon–9:00 p.m. (Sunday)

Deerpark Restaurant

• Jan. 2–Mar. 14:
    10:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. (Sunday)
    • Mar. 15–Nov. 2:
    11:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. (Monday–Saturday)
    • Nov. 3–Jan. 1:
    11:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. (Monday–Saturday)

The Stable Café

• Jan. 2–Nov. 2:
    11:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
    • Nov. 3–Jan. 1:
    11:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.

The Dining Room

• Open year round:
    5:30 p.m.–9:30 p.m. Reservations required.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.