fbpx

Oh no, not this s*** again!

Home Forums General discussion OTL Magazine – News and Discussion Oh no, not this s*** again!

This topic contains 80 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Roadster Pilot 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • Author

BEN WHITE
    Participant

This ‘discussion’ highlights how ludicrous it is for there to [still] be two different national BMW specific motorcycle clubs. It seems to me that the only “advantage” is that there are more ‘leadership’ positions available. Let’s face it, BMW is a small marque and as owners/riders we could benefit from economies of scale.

Visian
    Participant

Well, technically, the RA is International.

BEN WHITE
    Participant

My bad. Forgive my oversight?

As a member of both the RA and MOA, I think it high time to merge.

[QUOTE=Visian »]Well, technically, the RA is International.[/QUOTE]

brewmeister
    Participant

[QUOTE=ben721364 »]My bad. Forgive my oversight?

As a member of both the RA and MOA, I think it high time to merge.[/QUOTE]

I second that

Roy Jackson
    Participant

I guess we could bring the MOA under the RA Banner with out too much trouble.

BEN WHITE
    Participant

LOL. The merged club could call itself BMW MRI [motorcycle riders International] or BMW MRA [motorcycle ridrs association] or whatever… It doesn’t much matter. The point is that we could save money and earn a stronger voice with BMW Motorad. The BMW car clubs ‘fought’ and made excuses for years before finally merging. I think most everyone now wonders why it took so long.

Visian
    Participant

an interesting turn this thread takes.

old white-bearded BMW enthusiasts everywhere are shuddering at the thought……..:cool:

ian

BEN WHITE
    Participant

Are there that many still around who remember, or care about the reasons for the split? Do such ‘reasons’ still exist? Is there still justification for two clubs that cater primarily to North American riders/owners of BMW motorcycles?

I belong to both, by the way.

ackgs
    Participant

[QUOTE=Visian »]And that’s what I think sets the RA apart: our community is chock full of serious BMW riders offering a premium level of knowledge, skill and accomplishment..[QUOTE]

Ah someone finally came up with an example of something that sets the RA apart from the MOA but I would guess that some MOA members would disagree. Anyway assuming the RA community indeed has these qualities how does someone just joining the RA access all this knowledge etc.?

Visian – I have to say the presently I think both clubs are primarily in the magazine business. That said I agree that the magazine is not where the future lies though. Look where print media is now and the problems they have staying relevant. The interent groups you mention are free and have new things to chew on every day on their respective websites. I also think they tend to attract a more active rider or owner (take your pick). People that need their motorcycle info fix more frequently than monthly. So I guess the big question may not be what sets the RA apart from the MOA but why join either club at all when there is so much free content on the net? What do the MOA and the RA offer other than their magazines that the internet groups do not?

I don’t care about the hows and whys of the split but I still like being able to chose. I believe if the two clubs did become one there would be little RA in there and of the two clubs I prefer the RA. I think the answer for the “one club” believers is to begin by creating a third club dedicated their cause. You will get so many members you will crush the two existing clubs and they capitulate to your wishes – one club. 🙂

[QUOTE=darrylri »]Actually, I suspect that a huge number of RA members are also MOA members. I am; Visian is one; until her membership runs out in the RA, Sue Rihn-Manke is one. [/QUOTE]

For a time I was a member of both clubs also. I note that the post on the MOA website by Ms. Rihn-Menke has not generated any comment in subsequent posts in that thread. I’m sure it is an issue with some over there but so far in that thread not so much, folks appear to be looking forward to the RA rally. It may be being discussed in other threads but a friend that is still a member there says there has not been any other mention that he is aware of. I find it unfortuante that she is ending her membership but I don’t think you can keep everyone happy all the time.

ackgs
    Participant

[QUOTE=Visian »]And that’s what I think sets the RA apart: [B]our community is chock full of serious BMW riders offering a premium level of knowledge, skill and accomplishment.[QUOTE]

S

RICHMAN DARRYL
    Participant

[QUOTE=brewmeister »]Hi Darryl, I did’nt think there was 10,000 at johnson city or redmond, not even at west bend, but I did think there was 1500 or so at Caan Valley, or there seemed to be at boise ID .Regardless I word of mouth whenever I can to promote the RA .Unfortunatly lots of folks have manmade there lives so bizzy they mostly don’t seem to have the time or money to attend or get involved in club stuff. I am the worst at it myself ! With limited vacation i’m still doing the work thing . I am going to start a renewed effort to become a better volunter versus a non-volunteer,I’m bad .Years back I used to volunteer for local rallys and politics soured the “beer” so I drifted away. Bottom line this is a BMW motorcycle club and that will keep me around cause i like em.[/QUOTE]

I think Johnson City was 8900, Redmond got 6100 and Boise had about 600. I don’t recall hearing a number for Canaan Valley, but I was surprised at how low the turnout was, considering it was an east coast rally and it was the week after the MOA rally at Johnson City. From the report in the ON, 6100 at Redmond was right in there for what they expected (6000-6500, “for a western rally”). At Boise I recall camping in a huge square of grass, which I had almost completely to myself. The MOA was hoping for 10k at Johnson City, and they’re talking about breaking 10k this year at Bloomsburg, PA.

Regardless, I think that both clubs draw a significant portion of their membership, but I don’t think one is doing better than the other, percentage wise.

RICHMAN DARRYL
    Participant

[QUOTE=ben721364 »]LOL. The merged club could call itself BMW MRI [motorcycle riders International] or BMW MRA [motorcycle ridrs association] or whatever… It doesn’t much matter. The point is that we could save money and earn a stronger voice with BMW Motorad. The BMW car clubs ‘fought’ and made excuses for years before finally merging. I think most everyone now wonders why it took so long.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the CCA just waited out the ACA. They never opened chapters in the same places that the ACA was still going, but when it got down to just a couple ACA chapters, they threw in the towel and merged.

BEN WHITE
    Participant

[QUOTE=darrylri »]Actually, the CCA just waited out the ACA. They never opened chapters in the same places that the ACA was still going, but when it got down to just a couple ACA chapters, they threw in the towel and merged.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying it was a simply that neither set of old goats were willing to take the lead?

Why wait? What’s the benefit to the membership(s) of doing so?

RICHMAN DARRYL
    Participant

[QUOTE=ackgs »]So I guess the big question may not be what sets the RA apart from the MOA but why join either club at all when there is so much free content on the net? What do the MOA and the RA offer other than their magazines that the internet groups do not?[/quote]

Both clubs offer more than just a magazine and content, and more than just a national rally, too. Both are trying to find other ways to stay relevant, and both are trying to do more with local clubs because of that.

If the MOA offered nothing else, I’d still be a member to get a copy of the Anonymous.

[quote][QUOTE=darrylri »]Actually, I suspect that a huge number of RA members are also MOA members. I am; Visian is one; until her membership runs out in the RA, Sue Rihn-Manke is one.[/quote]

For a time I was a member of both clubs also. I note that the post on the MOA website by Ms. Rihn-Menke has not generated any comment in subsequent posts in that thread.[/quote]

Why would it? Even if every RA member were also an MOA member, only one in eight of the MOA forum members would be one.

The point I’m trying to make is that it cheeses off a lot of people who make these clubs work. Sue has run a number of rallies for both clubs and is board member for the MOA right now. The RA loses out on her experience when she decides to withhold her membership and volunteerism, and people who respect her think twice about whether the RA is worth supporting.

RICHMAN DARRYL
    Participant

[QUOTE=ben721364 »]Are you saying it was a simply that neither set of old goats were willing to take the lead?

Why wait? What’s the benefit to the membership(s) of doing so?[/QUOTE]

Just read this thread for your answer. Both clubs have their own way of doing things, and if they merged, some of each would be lost. Do you think that a combined magazine would have OTL for 40 pages and ON for 80 pages? No, the leadership would have to decide who was the editor, maybe even a neutral third party, and then it would go from there. (And of course, the “leadership” itself would have had to have gone through a similar process.)

In the case of the ACA, when it shrank to the point that the individual chapters weren’t benefiting much by being affiliated, they decided to switch. The CCA has a huge benefits package, and it must have looked very enticing. That wouldn’t happen here, because local clubs are far more loosely connected to the national clubs, and many are affiliated with both.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.