fbpx

Oh no, not this s*** again!

Home Forums General discussion OTL Magazine – News and Discussion Oh no, not this s*** again!

This topic contains 80 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Roadster Pilot 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Author

ackgs
    Participant

[QUOTE=Visian »]feel free to top it. :biggrin[/QUOTE]

Again no offense. For me a better slogan is already on the cover of the OTL. The only change I would make would be to replace the letters OTL with RA. There is precious little mention of the “RA” or its activities in the OTL. The logo did make a one issue reappearance this fall but I note that it is gone again.

ackgs
    Participant

[QUOTE=brewmeister »]I enjoy both clubs for various reasons but this is getting some blood flowing for sure. I truely wish both clubs could get back together for the good of ALL! And get over ourself”s. We all love this marque that’s FOR SURE![/QUOTE]

Do you mean a merger? Just one club? Personally I enjoy two clubs as the situation exists today. I like choice and if the clubs merged I don’t think you would see much RA in the resulting organization. I hope the RA can grow and be a stronger presence. I have no real knowledge of why the clubs split back when and have no desire to relive that period. Today the bottom line is years later we have two clubs for whatever reason and I hope the RA can flourish.

brewmeister
    Participant

I just don’t like folks getting pissy with politics of the two clubs percived differences. I think it’s about BMW”S And only BMW”s I already heard a few unmentionable friends who were put off by the line on the bottom of the ON magazine. Thats why I put the brakes on my club enthusiasm when people get so thin skinned about trivial things like this. Again I LOVE BMW motorcycles ,always have always will nomatter what ANYBODY says. We all should get on with our love for this marque and continue to enjoy em for what they are period.
    One club ,one happy family.If it were possable.

ackgs
    Participant

[QUOTE=brewmeister »] I think it’s about BMW”S dummy! [/QUOTE]

So I’m a dummy because I asked if you meant one club or two? :dunno A question you did not answer by the way.

ackgs
    Participant

[QUOTE=Visian »]Darryl did’t say anything about upsetting the MOA, either.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree from what I read he was speaking about upsetting at least some MOA members. I take his post as saying that by “dissing” the MOA with the slogan the RA runs the risk of not attracting those people to the RA.

Darryl thanks for your thoughts. I agree with you about the sport bike crowd and neither club will see the fruits of their efforts for at least a while particularly in this ecconomy. Unfortunate about people leaving but if the RA is to survive they need to be somehow different from the MOA. No one in this thread so far has been able or willing to express what the difference may be but the board must have a plan. The differences will need to be articualted (marketed) and when they are some members of the “other” club will be offended, already are evidently. Over the past few years I have noted that some folks are directors or officers of both clubs. I am not sure that in the long run that has been good for the RA. Some of the overlap may be due to the fact that there is not enough talent or motivatred directors to go around but I also think that directors tend to recruit people they know and have delt with somewhere else previuously. If the RA can recruit new people, its own people, for the board and volunteer positions it may be better off. I’m not sure all the people who are directors of both clubs will have the best interests of the RA in mind.

Visian
    Participant

[QUOTE=brewmeister »]I enjoy both clubs for various reasons but this is getting some blood flowing for sure. I truely wish both clubs could get back together for the good of ALL! And get over ourself”s. We all love this marque that’s FOR SURE![/QUOTE]

guess that’s what bothers me most. BMW is what it’s all about, not tweaking the nose of the other club.

btw, all my comments here are made as an RA member for nearly 20 years. this is a return to a time when it wasn’t all about BMW, and if you were around then, you will know that it wasn’t good for the RA.

as noted in the OP, much time has been spent volunteering to help the RA take advantage of a unique opportunity. it’s a little disappointing to see that being squandered.

flat_twin
    Participant

As Emily Litella says, “Nevermind”

RICHMAN DARRYL
    Participant

[QUOTE=ackgs »]I would disagree from what I read he was speaking about upsetting at least some MOA members. I take his post as saying that by “dissing” the MOA with the slogan the RA runs the risk of not attracting those people to the RA.[/quote]
    Actually, I suspect that a huge number of RA members are also MOA members. I am; Visian is one; until her membership runs out in the RA, Sue Rihn-Manke is one. Greg Feeler, the current MOA Prez, chaired the RA rally a couple years back in Idaho. Dissing the MOA puts these dual members in a quandry about the value of their other membership. It may make them think that maybe they should only be in one of the clubs. That would be very bad for the RA.

[quote]Unfortunate about people leaving but if the RA is to survive they need to be somehow different from the MOA. No one in this thread so far has been able or willing to express what the difference may be but the board must have a plan.[/quote]

In the past, the difference was easy to articulate. In the bad old days of the MOA, when it had tax problems and didn’t publish treasury reports and meeting minutes, you had to be a member of the RA to know what was going on in the MOA. As the MOA’s governance improved, the real reason to be in the RA was its focus on BMW and the future. The RA was Holmes to the MOA’s Watson in this area.

That difference still seems to exist, but since Hellman’s passing, there aren’t so many “mole” and analysis stories available. But I think that’s exactly the kind of material that would draw in the younger crowd. Forward looking articles that try to divine where BMW AG is going and what they will be producing.

[quote]Over the past few years I have noted that some folks are directors or officers of both clubs. I am not sure that in the long run that has been good for the RA. Some of the overlap may be due to the fact that there is not enough talent or motivatred directors to go around but I also think that directors tend to recruit people they know and have delt with somewhere else previuously. If the RA can recruit new people, its own people, for the board and volunteer positions it may be better off. I’m not sure all the people who are directors of both clubs will have the best interests of the RA in mind.[/QUOTE]

Volunteerism is a huge problem for all of the clubs. The MOA can’t get two people to run for each opening, from a crowd of 34,000 people. How is the RA supposed to get independent volunteers out of their 4,000? You see the same people because those are the people who are motivated and available. There must be some more out there, but they can’t seem to be found right now.

Visian
    Participant

[QUOTE=darrylri »]That difference still seems to exist, but since Hellman’s passing, there aren’t so many “mole” and analysis stories available. But I think that’s exactly the kind of material that would draw in the younger crowd. Forward looking articles that try to divine where BMW AG is going and what they will be producing.[/QUOTE]

This is accurate but it misses a bigger point, I feel.

Right up front: [U]The RA is not a magazine[/U], the RA is not in the magazine publishing business and the fact that the current perception of the RA is driven by the OTL opens us up to a huge risk of disintermediation.

What’s that? In plain language, if the RA is defined by its magazine, our “subscribers” will go away when there is either 1) a better magazine, or 2) a better medium than a magazine for what our organization is really all about: affinity.

That’s right, we are not in the magazine business…. we are in the affinity business. That means our success is directly proportional to people’s desire to belong (as opposed to subscribe).

I believe that all in this conversation can agree on one thing: in the affinity business we are getting our asses handed to us BIG TIME by groups like BMW Sport Touring, ADVrider, and a host of other on-line centric communities.

Anyone here go to ADVrider events? They are chock full of the people that we say we wish to attract to our membership.

In essence, to sustain our affinity business, we offer two primary lines of value: relevant information and community.

Our relevant information is being disintermediated. For instance, if you were to type into Google a sentence from the “Macau, David vs. Goliath Racing Story” article in the December issue of OTL, you would get a pointer to [URL=”http://sdbmwracing.blogspot.com/”]the San Diego BMW dealer’s blog[/URL], where the same article can be accessed for free.

This is just one example of a dynamic that’s been in play for over 10 years now.

Another proof point: people are no longer meeting people and making friends through the RA. Instead, they’re on ADVrider (and other on-line communities), going to ADVrider events, riding together and making life-long friends.

One of these days, we are going to realize this (hopefully not too late) and pivot our strategy so that we have more balance on our other primary line of value: community.

And that’s what I think sets the RA apart: [B]our community is chock full of serious BMW riders offering a premium level of knowledge, skill and accomplishment.[/B]

Strategically, if we were to emphasize our community with a force equal to what we currently give our relevant information, our organization would appeal far more to the types of members we wish to attract and we would see growth.

But instead, we continue to define ourselves relative to the other guys… and in the process leave much of what really differentiates us on the table.

marchyman
    Participant

Snicker…. at least one MOA member has this in his sig on the MOA forum:

[quote] BMWON – Not just BMW Riders. BMW Owners[/quote]

I like it. Any idiot with $150 in his pocket can rent a beemer to ride. But to own one…. :wink

Visian
    Participant

touche! :wave

brewmeister
    Participant

Another thing I notice is with only what 4000 or so members we definitly have a bigger PERCENTAGE of our members attending our national ralleys than the moa! We should be proud of this !!:D

RICHMAN DARRYL
    Participant

[QUOTE=brewmeister »]Another thing I notice is with only what 4000 or so members we definitly have a bigger PERCENTAGE of our members attending our national ralleys than the moa! We should be proud of this !!:D[/QUOTE]

The difference isn’t huge, and depending on which years you look at, the MOA can indeed bring out a greater percentage of its membership. For example, the MOA is hoping to hit 10,000 in Bloomsburg, PA this year; that’s just shy of 30% of its membership. The RA will have to get almost 1200 people to match it. That’s more than were at the Canaan Valley, WV rally. (I understand that both clubs are far and away the leaders in getting people to their big event; I have read that the CCA only gets a few hundred to theirs.)

brewmeister
    Participant

Hi Darryl, I did’nt think there was 10,000 at johnson city or redmond, not even at west bend, but I did think there was 1500 or so at Caan Valley, or there seemed to be at boise ID .Regardless I word of mouth whenever I can to promote the RA .Unfortunatly lots of folks have manmade there lives so bizzy they mostly don’t seem to have the time or money to attend or get involved in club stuff. I am the worst at it myself ! With limited vacation i’m still doing the work thing . I am going to start a renewed effort to become a better volunter versus a non-volunteer,I’m bad .Years back I used to volunteer for local rallys and politics soured the “beer” so I drifted away. Bottom line this is a BMW motorcycle club and that will keep me around cause i like em.

Roy Jackson
    Participant

[QUOTE=marchyman »]Snicker…. at least one MOA member has this in his sig on the MOA forum:

I like it. Any idiot with $150 in his pocket can rent a beemer to ride. But to own one…. :wink[/QUOTE]

I be an RA member too…See ya in Wisconsin.:thumb

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.