fbpx

Oh no, not this s*** again!

Home Forums General discussion OTL Magazine – News and Discussion Oh no, not this s*** again!

This topic contains 80 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Roadster Pilot 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author

Roy Jackson
    Participant

I like the OTL – Not Just BMW Owners. BMW Riders. Me thinks the MOA protest too much. IMHO

Visian
    Participant

[QUOTE=Beemer-me-up »]Me thinks the MOA protest too much. IMHO[/QUOTE]

um, i was speaking as an RA member.

why make the RA’s marketing pitch beholden to another organization? Why spend effort telling people what we’re not? Why ignore what makes the RA unique?

these are rather elementary marketing mistakes, and with our limited resources, we can’t afford mistakes like this.

ian

ackgs
    Participant

Visian this is issue really has your undies in a bunch huh.

So what do you think makes the RA unique? What presently makes the RA different from the MOA? What would make make someone join the RA instead of the MOA or in addition to the MOA? With the new direction is the RA losing some of it’s uniqueness or enhancing it? Perhaps the new slogan will turn off some MOA members from joining but is that or should that be our primary source for new members? What are your thoughts or anyones thoughts for that matter?

I too have issues with some of the new direction but the slogan is not among them. The new slogan appears to me to be innocuous, it may not be the best one but for me it is not a problem. IIRC the MOA in the past used the phrase “worlds largest BMW motorcycle club” or something to that effect. Was that a slur directed at the RA?

GARCIA LUIS
    Participant

I belong to both and when I saw the new slogan I cracked up laughing knowing that somebody was going to get upset. It’s only a word game. Lighten up!

Cal Garcia

RICHMAN DARRYL
    Participant

If you don’t understand why Visian is worked up, you probably aren’t thinking about the future of the RA. The RA [I]must[/I] grow, and while growth for its own sake is not useful, only growth will allow the club to focus higher and achieve more for the membership. The MOA has almost 10X the membership, and that size allows them to pursue new goals. Regional rallies of different types. Safety training foundation and the use of the MSF safety trainer simulator. A local club leadership seminar. The ability to stand up to BMW AG when they do unreasonable things to the clubs (yes, the RA is doing that too, but the RA wouldn’t stand a chance without the MOA and the CCA doing it, too — because the RA is too small by itself).

The RA can’t do things like that right now. It hasn’t got the volunteer base to do it, and it hasn’t got the fiscal resources to do it. It must grow into them.

So, the question is, what will help the RA grow? Differentiating itself from the MOA is good, we have to have a reason for people to join. But choosing to cut off what might be a significant number of potential members by dissing an organization that they already belong to, and probably like, doesn’t seem like the best move (even if the actual wording is cute). Just as negative campaigning serves to turn away middle of the road voters, so do negative messages in other arenas. Those are people we need to attract.

COOK KENT
    Participant

Ownership of things dominates most hobby venues. Peruse just about any forum on the web or magazine, and the message will be clear–own this or own that and YOU will be cool.

Motorcycle hobbyists should be different. Why? Because their life may depend on how well they ride. So OTL has taken a different approach with a focus on the rider. Of course, the equipment is part of that; but equipment is not the key part. Hence the new slogan. Could it be said better to avoid some past squabble? Perhaps, but it would look like something written by a governmental committee and take up the first 10 pages of each issue. This slogan is a challenge to all who think owning something makes a difference in them. It does not. They must seek out their improvements with more than a signature. Personal improvement demands much, much more. That is why achieving true improvement in one’s skill is so rewarding.

Paul_F
    Participant

[QUOTE=Visian »]i am inclined to call bs here…. :skep

when a key word in the name of one club (owners) is taken and used in a near derogatory fashion (not [B]just[/B] owners) and juxtaposed to a key word from the second club’s name ([I]riders[/I]) and emphasized with italics… it’s a pretty clear attempt to differentiate the second club from the first club.

it reads like the second club is trying to take the high ground on “riding.” this is not only innaccurate, it’s unproductive to club life in general and to the RA in particular.

the paragraph from the editorial substantiates this even further, claiming first-to-market. whatever.

there are (and have been, btw) SO MANY good reasons why the RA is a great club that we should not have to position ourselves against other clubs in the community.

we just need to find the right words. :biggrin

jmo.

ian[/QUOTE]

As a member of both clubs, I totally agree with Ian’s postion.

RICHMAN DARRYL
    Participant

[QUOTE=kocook]Ownership of things dominates most hobby venues. Peruse just about any forum on the web or magazine, and the message will be clear–own this or own that and YOU will be cool.

Motorcycle hobbyists should be different. Why? Because their life may depend on how well they ride. So OTL has taken a different approach with a focus on the rider. Of course, the equipment is part of that; but equipment is not the key part. Hence the new slogan. Could it be said better to avoid some past squabble? Perhaps, but it would look like something written by a governmental committee and take up the first 10 pages of each issue. This slogan is a challenge to all who think owning something makes a difference in them. It does not. They must seek out their improvements with more than a signature. Personal improvement demands much, much more. That is why achieving true improvement in one’s skill is so rewarding. [/quote]

I don’t think it would be a problem at all. In fact, the club name already says it in two words: Riders Association.

ackgs
    Participant

[QUOTE=darrylri »]I don’t think it would be a problem at all. In fact, the club name already says it in two words: Riders Association.[/QUOTE]

Yep and thats just what the slogan is pointing out. Owners as opposed to riders. As I said above if the slogan is so odious to MOA members maybe the MOA members should be lobbying their organization for a name change.

Seriously my question stands – How does the RA differentiate itself from other BMW organizations? In my view the RA in recent history was trying to clone itself to the MOA. Following the MOA ralley around the country etc. I don’t know how that worked out for the RA in regard to membership as I can’t seem to find any reference to our membership numbers anywhere. I would guess it was not that successful as the stratagy has changed. The only thing that I found different between the two clubs was that the OTL, while a bit uneven over the past few years, for me was a more enjoyable read than the Owners News. I found the ON to be pretty bland and the OTL had more of an edge. The ON contained terrible interviews with lots of unasked questions, for the most part uninteresting articles, and terrible editing. Presently while the ON and the OTL have a different focus of content the tone is about the same. From what I read both the MOA and RA are banking on the younger demographic and the jury is still out on that one. The boards of both clubs probably can see some trends with membership data but so far I as a member here and a former member there don’t see the evidence of a change. The change will take time at any rate and both clubs need to find out how to best “harvest” this new group. The sport bike crowd to me appears to be a tough bunch to market to for the clubs. What does the MOA and the RA have to offer these people? Their riding habits are very different from traditional members of either the MOA or the RA. Will the internet generation be willing to wait for a monthly magazine with articles about their sport bike but not cotaining very much real info or depth or will they just fire up the computer and find loads of info about the bike right now. Be able to converse via internet with other owners etc. At present neither of the clubs have any sort of real discussion about these bikes on their websites. The MOA has a forum with a little activity and the RA website has a racing blog but no discussion of the S1000RR itself as far as issues that would effect an owner of these bikes. I think that to really attract the sort of new member that both clubs covet a big internet presence would be needed. Neither have it and there are already plenty of sites that provide for these riders already. Glad I don’t have to figure this out.

So where are the new members to come from? Is mining the MOA the only/best source of new members for the RA? If we have to be so careful to not upset the MOA, with a slogan of all things, where is the future?

Visian
    Participant

[QUOTE=ackgs »]If we have to be so careful to not upset the MOA, with a slogan of all things, where is the future?[/QUOTE]

i believe you may have misread my original post.

there’s nothing there about offending the MOA.

it’s about coming up short for the RA.

there are so many better things about the RA to promote.

why waste what little resources we have dissing the other club?

Visian
    Participant

[QUOTE=kocook »]This slogan is a challenge to all who think owning something makes a difference in them. It does not.[/quote]

this would be a valid point if the other club didn’t have the word “owners” in their name.

[quote] They must seek out their improvements with more than a signature. Personal improvement demands much, much more. That is why achieving true improvement in one’s skill is so rewarding.[/QUOTE]

BMW RA
    [B]The Ride Attitude[/B] ™

ackgs
    Participant

[QUOTE=darrylri »] So, the question is, what will help the RA grow? Differentiating itself from the MOA is good, we have to have a reason for people to join. But choosing to cut off what might be a significant number of potential members by dissing an organization that they already belong to, and probably like, doesn’t seem like the best move (even if the actual wording is cute). Just as negative campaigning serves to turn away middle of the road voters, so do negative messages in other arenas. Those are people we need to attract.[/QUOTE]

Visian – I was addressing Darryl comment above not your original post. In your post you state “there are so many better things about the RA to promote” What are the better things about the RA that differentiate the RA from the MOA would you promote?

No offense but the “The Ride Attitude” is kind of a snoozer.

Visian
    Participant

[QUOTE=ackgs »]Visian – I was addressing Darryl comment above not your original post. In your post you state “there are so many better things about the RA to promote” What are the better things about the RA that differentiate the RA from the MOA would you promote? [/quote]

Darryl did’t say anything about upsetting the MOA, either.

[quote]No offense but the “The Ride Attitude” is kind of a snoozer.[/QUOTE]

feel free to top it. :biggrin

brewmeister
    Participant

I enjoy both clubs for various reasons but this is getting some blood flowing for sure. I truely wish both clubs could get back together for the good of ALL! And get over ourself”s. We all love this marque that’s FOR SURE!

RICHMAN DARRYL
    Participant

ACKGS, I invite you to see what the new tag line engenders, by viewing this post over in the RA Rally thread on the MOA forum:
    [url]http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showpost.php?p=643813&postcount=68[/url]

This person has chaired many rallies and helps out both clubs all the time.

As to what’s going to attract the online generation, I think that neither club is going to get much of the sport bike crowd. As you note, they do not have a lot in common with what the clubs are all about. I think the goal must be to catch them, and others, in their 30s and 40s, which is young compared to both clubs’ (and BMW’s) current demographic. In that case, coverage of hard(er) core off road riding and racing will hopefully bring them in to the RA.

The trick, of course, is not running off the current members while trying to capture the younger ones. Creative destruction only works out if you don’t kill off the current goose before finding another. So, just as you say that it will take time to see if a strategy is working, it will also be the case that neither club is going to make drastic changes over night.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.