Oh no, not this s*** again!

Home Forums General discussion OTL Magazine – News and Discussion Oh no, not this s*** again!

This topic contains 80 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Roadster Pilot 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author

PAUL MULHERN
    Participant

Someone stated earlier that (regarding the car clubs) the smaller organization merged when the local chapters no longer saw value in both clubs (or something to that effect). They also stated that that would not happen here because so many local clubs belong to both organizations.
    But if I look at the chartered clubs in Texas that belong to both national organizations I see that the RA lists 2, the MOA lists 10. I know for a fact that many Texas clubs have not renewed thier RA charter. If this trend holds nationally it would tend to indicate that the RA may be going the way of the ACA (the other BMW car club).
    And, since the RA depends on the local clubs to host thier national rally that statistic would not seem to bode well for the future of the RA either.
    The MOA is stressing the inportance of the local clubs (to the national organization) while the RA doesn’t seem to so much.
    As individuals we may feel that both clubs have relevance but as those folks grow older and cease being active where is the RA going to get it’s support? If the clubs don’t see value in promoting the organization who is left to promote the RA?

brewmeister
    Participant

ya I did the club thing for 15 years ,but I moved farther away in 91 and ended up dropping out.You have to live reasonably close to the club to be a part of the activities. It makes no sense to drive 3 hours to join in on club functions.I could never make a club meeting
    So I mostly go to 3 or 4 local rallies and I try to make one or both national( RA or MOA). Unfortunatly thats the way it is for me.Lately I’ve injured myself with a broken foot and years before that a rebiult left knee,then right knee. This has kept me from being very active in just plain everything. The club has always been fun and enjoyable but yes were all getting older and this will slow down club activitiys. I see eventually the two clubs merging for the good of all involved,there’s realy no down side.If I would have been around when the two clubs split I know I would have tryed to rattle some cages to keep things together. But I was not there!

brewmeister
    Participant

[QUOTE=karlh »]And your point is?[/QUOTE]

+1 Someone on the board please explain this statement on the front cover, do it here!

Ian Schmeisser
    Participant

So I get my Jul/Aug issue of OTL and I look at the cover. Down at the bottom there’s a slogan:

[QUOTE=OTL]OTL – not just BMW Owners. BMW [I]Riders[/I][/quote]

Then at the end of the editorial on Page 3 I read this paragraph:

[QUOTE=OTL]In the year-old June ’09 OTL, you can see a magazine in decline. In the June ’10 OTL, the changes are staggering. Take a look for yourself. OTL was the first BMW club magazine, first printed in 1972. And from it split away the other club, which has grown in size far greater than the RA. This is something we’re working to fix and will achieve by pure passion and love of the marque. On the over, the logo at the bottom says it all: “OTL, not just BMW Owners. BMW [I]Riders[/I].” Stick around, we’ve got plans for this club and if you’d like to help, come on in.[/quote]

BMW motorcycles came into my life in 1973 at the age of 19. BMW Clubs came into my life in 1989 when an employee gave me two “magazine subscriptions” for Christmas. After reading the BMW Owners News for a year, I chose to renew. After a year of On the Level, I chose not to renew because it seemed most of the discussion centered on how much the BMW MOA sucked.

I rejoined the RA a few years later after that kinda crap stopped.

Since then, I helped rebuild the RA’s web site, and have written an article for the magazine. Of course, volunteered at any of the rallies I attended. The BMW MOA gets some of my time, too.

My question is this:

Is it [I]really[/I] necessary to promote the RA in this way? I can think of so many other ways to communicate what’s different and better about this club than “we’re not the other guys.”

Ian

Roadster Pilot
    Participant

I belong to both the MOA and RA and find that they compliment each other. I have never felt the least bit threatened by either club. I submit we are all both Owners and Riders – each club has its unique contribution to our community. Seriously, we are going to get worked up over a tag line on the cover of OTL? Really?

ROY JACKSON
    Participant

[SIZE=”3″]Hi Roadster pilot, :wave welcome to the forum. You might find it a little slow over here. The RA has a lot going for it except for the forum. Later[/SIZE]

Roadster Pilot
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, the forum might not be buzzing, but I guess I couldn’t resist trying to bridge the gulf between the MOA and RA as I find both valuable additions to my riding enjoyment. I visit and post to both forums rarely – for instance today too busy taking my classic car out of the garage for a ride since the weather allowed, moving around scattered car parts all over the garage for the 1969 BMW 2002 I am restoring (a couple of years to go on this project), cleaning several pistols for a match my gun club is doing tomorrow and just now checking this thread at 6:20 p.m. after a long and enjoyable day.

WILL GUYAN
    Participant

I don’t see where anyone said that the “MOA sucked”. Must have been way before my time. I don’t know anyone who thinks that way, either. I certainly don’t. Something happened in the early 70’s that split the club in two, and enmity obviously followed. MOA have 40,000 and RA have 4,000. The club was purposely kept smaller and “exclusive” to its detriment, IMO. Things are different now. This is a new era with new leadership. It’s all about the ride and the bikes, we’re in competition with nobody.
    We wish MOA well and hope they feel the same way about the RA.

I was the first one to approach the MOA booth at WSB Miller, hand out to say hello. Email me and I’ll discuss it with you if you’re interested in the facts.

We have lots of catching up to do at the RA in this new era, and we mean to do just that, without ever bad mouthing anybody, except maybe Harley’s treatment of Eric Buell. We’re all BMW enthusiasts. OTL has no problem whatever with ON. We even share contributors, happily. Your article part 2 will be featured in the September OTL.

Ian Schmeisser
    Participant

[QUOTE=Adam Arcane »]It’s all about the ride and the bikes, we’re in competition with nobody.[/QUOTE]

i am inclined to call bs here…. :skep

when a key word in the name of one club (owners) is taken and used in a near derogatory fashion (not [B]just[/B] owners) and juxtaposed to a key word from the second club’s name ([I]riders[/I]) and emphasized with italics… it’s a pretty clear attempt to differentiate the second club from the first club.

it reads like the second club is trying to take the high ground on “riding.” this is not only innaccurate, it’s unproductive to club life in general and to the RA in particular.

the paragraph from the editorial substantiates this even further, claiming first-to-market. whatever.

there are (and have been, btw) SO MANY good reasons why the RA is a great club that we should not have to position ourselves against other clubs in the community.

we just need to find the right words. :biggrin

jmo.

ian

ackgs
    Participant

I think this is called marketing and after all one club is named the Owners association and the other Riders association.

Perhaps the MO(owners)A should change its name. In regard to first to publish, if the OTL was first I guess that’s that. I don’t have any problem with these issues. Didn’t the MOA used to maket itself as the largest club, was that a slur directed at the RA? I may be wrong but I seem to remember that slogan being used. I don’t have a problem with them marketing themselves as largest.

The RA has changed course to garner more members, the younger set from what I read. The OTL has gone sportbike and I believe this Rider/Owner thing is marketing driven also. Think “AVIS we try harder” or something like that anyway. As to whether or not these changes will accomplish the stated goals in my view remains to be seen. I too have been an on again off again member of the RA and also the MOA. Presently I am a member of this one but think probably not for too long. I understand the former editor of the Owners News has launched a new non club affiliated BMW publication, I would like to give that a look.

DAN HUBING
    Participant

I am a member of both clubs. I want both clubs to be strong and prosperous. We all love these bikes and share the desire to ride and learn. The MOA seems to focus on touring where the RA now is focused on racing. To problem if they seem similar to me. I read about 6 motorcycle mags each month and enjoy each one…

Dan

Raceydog
    Participant

“Constant complaint is the poorest sort of pay for all the comforts we enjoy.”
    Benjamin Franklin

karlh
    Participant

[QUOTE=Raceydog »]”Constant complaint is the poorest sort of pay for all the comforts we enjoy.”
    Benjamin Franklin[/QUOTE]

And your point is?

macfly
    Participant

I am a member of both clubs, and honestly enjoy both mags. If I had to choose just one I’d be inclined to go with OTL because of how much it has grown and improved in the year I’ve been getting it, but happily I don’t have to choose just one!

I’ve never met any other members, and have no interest in club events, I just like riding with my mates, and knowing whats up with the brand I most enjoy. Club in fighting just seems silly to me if it is for real, but I’m too far away to know whether it is or not. I say everyone should just get on with doing what they enjoy, riding, racing, touring, tinkering, and celebrate this amazing voyage of life in harmony.

Two clubs, two mags, more BMW stuff to read each month or two – great by me!

Marty Cover
    Participant

[QUOTE=Visian »]i am inclined to call bs here…. :skep

when a key word in the name of one club (owners) is taken and used in a near derogatory fashion (not [B]just[/B] owners) and juxtaposed to a key word from the second club’s name ([I]riders[/I]) and emphasized with italics… it’s a pretty clear attempt to differentiate the second club from the first club.
    ian[/QUOTE]

+1
    you cannot look at the cover of the magazine and not see it as a shot at the MOA. It reads exactly the same as the negative hHarley posts found all over the web.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.