Need tech assistance

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  fabaldwin 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

fabaldwin
    Participant

My apologies if I’m posting in the wrong area, new to the site. I have an issue with my 1992 K75S. Went out to start it, it rolled three time then stopped, everything dead, no power of any kind. First assumption was dead battery. I put a volt meter on it and confirmed it was completely flat. Removed the battery and dropped in my back up. Hooked up the negative terminal without issue. When I went to hook up the positive terminal the bike began to roll over. I re-confirmed the ingnition was off, key wasn’t even in the ignition. Made a second attempt to connect the positive terminal, engine rolled over again. Stopped everything at that point. I’ve had this bike for two years and have not had any problems with it. This is the first time I’ve had an issue. If anyone has experienced this type of situation before I would appreciate an advice you could provide. There is no BMW dealer where I live, so I’m hoping I can fix this myself before I have to load it on a truck and haul it the 3 to 4 hours to the nearest shop. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rfisher
    Participant

Your starter relay contacts are welded shut from cranking the engine with a weak battery. This is a fairly common problem with the Klassic K’s. Find your way over to Yahoogroups and join the Klassic K Tech list. There are a lot of old threads in the archives about this situation. Great list to join if you are an the owner of an old K.

Roy F

fabaldwin
    Participant

Thanks Roy. It was indeed the starter relay (ya gotta love Google!). Pulled the relay, cleaned up the contacts, reinstalled, back in business. Now the ABS light and the bulb monitor lights are flashing. Did more research and have read that this is common after the battery has been disconnected for an extended period of time. Found the reset procedures online, tried it but still flashing. I had the bike out for a couple of rides prior to the relay incident with no flashing lights, so I assume this is related to removing the battery. I’ll head on over to the Yahoo site as you suggested, but if you have any thoughts on my current issue I’d appreciate any advice/info you might have. Cheers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.