March issue – I like what OTL and BMW are doing!!!

Home Forums General discussion OTL Magazine – News and Discussion March issue – I like what OTL and BMW are doing!!!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ackgs 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Radar41
    Participant

Will,

Just finished the March issure of OTL. GREAT!!!

You are doing a hell of a job!! :thumb.

Personally I like the high tech stuff BMW is doing, and agree with many of your letter to the editor writers. BMW will NOT survive unless they produce products for the younger riders. Check the streets lately?? You see a lot of “hyper bikes”. In addition they haven’t forgotten about us seasoned riders who ride two up, evidence the new R1200RT and maybe a six cylinder LT.

What some of us old farts forget (I’m in that group) is the younger people have more discretionary income (even in these times) than we had “period adjusted”. A lot of them, (I’m thinking about my daughter and her friends) are very computer savy, work in fields related to technology, AND make six figure salaries. So 20K+ for a new motorcycle doesn’t phase them in the least, plus they like the techno gadgets!!

S o o o o o o o if I want parts for my two ancient Airheads to be available into the future, BMW had better build something to appeal to those folks. The new SS100RR is that machine!!! GO BMW!!!

Hell, I may sell the GS and buy one even though I hate chain drive :wink.

Don W

Adam Arcane
    Participant

Roger that, Radar! But let’s not forget the incredible and wholly unexpected move that gave the HP2 Sport DOHC heads and valve train to the entire Boxer line in 2010 – a year when most other manufacturers are really hurting. They haven’t even imported the 2010 Suzuki GSXR 1000 and Buell’s been thrown into history. BMW is going full blast. Thanks for the letter!

Marty Cover
    Participant

I couldn’t disagree more about the direction of OTL.
    While it may be true that the S1000RR may be important to the survival of BMW Motorrad, I do not have much interest in a publication that devotes 17 of its 60 pages to one bike / style of riding to the excludsion of everything else. If MOA has 40000 members and RA 4000 creating a “sport bike” magazine is not going to do much to increase membership. It appears to me that OTL is moving in a direction that will ignore the majority of the BMW Motorrad family.

Adam Arcane
    Participant

Then you didn’t see the Austrian K1300GT article, or the entertaining columns meant to enhance riding skills, or the stories from real life on the road, or Damien Cook’s history pieces? The S1000RR issue was for a purpose. The RR is going to be the focus of the WSB event in Utah. The issue is intended to get more subscribers, more members, from the younger demographic. Just like BMW is doing.

Do you actually think that “BMW is moving in a direction that will ignore the majority of the BMW Motorrad family?” Because On The Level is a reflection, and a pretty accurate one, of BMW’s current direction, as well as continuing coverage of the older stuff. They’ve put a lot of investment energy into their new ‘survive the economy downturn’ plan to capture 20% of the superbike class.

The BMW Motorrad family is not being ignored by BMW nor by OTL. It’s amusing to see how much the “old school” is stirred up because of the new hyper sport bike and all the genuine hoopla surrounding it. It’s not built for me; I’m ecstatic with my pair of GS’s, one for street, one for dirt. Both have bags and are high mile bikes. I’m the “old school”, verified by my R69US which is not a restored show bike; it has the patina of 86,000 hard miles and I love that. But I’m also enthralled with the technology I’ve witnessed unfold over the 46 years I’ve been riding. It’s a great time to be an OPEN MINDED motorcyclist!

But evolution is inevitable. So is the fact that if BMW don’t get a piece of the younger demographic market, all their customers will disappear. They’ve done the math and so have we. OTL has something for everybody, unless readers simply decide that they choose to dislike the BMW direction altogether.

Deans BMW
    Participant

Well stated Adam and 100% on the money. I think OTL has shown vast improvement and like its renewed direction very much. By the way, I first started riding two wheeled motorized vehicles in the mid 50’s, bought my first new Beemer in 1972, a ’72 R75/5 Blue Toaster and have owned more than I can count since, currently have two and will pick up a new 2010 GS fully equiped the 10th of next month.

Thanks for what you are doing.

ackgs
    Participant

[QUOTE=Adam Arcane »] The S1000RR issue was for a purpose.[/QUOTE]

Which issue was the S1000RR issue? Aren’t they all lately.

Radar41
    Participant

Marty, It would be interesting to know what you thought of the press coverage of the R90S back in the day!! It too was a “game changer”. Had OTL or ON been around in those days, I’m sure they would have devoted as much or more space to it – lots of mags did :yesnod. As an old “fart” who loves Airheads and motorcycles in general, I still get excited about the “new stuff” and like to read about “how’d da do dat”? Just one opinion of course :-).

[QUOTE=Marty Cover »]I couldn’t disagree more about the direction of OTL.
    While it may be true that the S1000RR may be important to the survival of BMW Motorrad, I do not have much interest in a publication that devotes 17 of its 60 pages to one bike / style of riding to the excludsion of everything else. If MOA has 40000 members and RA 4000 creating a “sport bike” magazine is not going to do much to increase membership. It appears to me that OTL is moving in a direction that will ignore the majority of the BMW Motorrad family.[/QUOTE]

Deans BMW
    Participant

Just recieved my March issue of OTL yesterday, Sat April 3, takes a long time for mail to get up here in the Boonies.

All I can say is outstanding. A definite improvement, eagerly looking foward to further issues.

Thanks to the new editor.

ackgs
    Participant

I guess we should be thankful that BMW did not showcase all this tech on a reintroduced cruiser. I think wall to wall OTL coverage of that would be even more boring, not much but some. For me anyway. I am curious as to how many issues can be all S1000RR all the time, unfortunately I think I am going to find out. I guess I am just not opened minded enough. While interested in the tech to some extent and not interested in racing really at all I am not excited to read about it to the exclusion of everything else

Deans BMW
    Participant

[QUOTE]Dean was the March issue you posted about in your thread starter of March 26 any different than the one you received and read yesterday? [/QUOTE]

If you go back to the first post in this thread you will notice that I did not start it, my first post in this thread was March, 31st.

There is no doubt that in future OTL issues there will be content for all tastes……perhaps even yours. You can not argue the fact that David Bromfields article in the March issue is the harbinger of things to come in all motorcycling regardless of brand. Kent Cooks article is germain even if you ride a scooter or a CLC.

ackgs
    Participant

My mistake on the posting I’m sorry for that.

In regard to David Bromfields article I found it interesting but just more S1000RR from a slightly different angle. The article by Kent Cook was good and situational awareness articles are always informative. I have read many over the years as they are a staple of bike magazines. Aside from Cook’s article and the jeans review the issue was all sportbike. Hopefully you are correct in your assumption that in the future there will be content for all tastes, perhaps you are privy to information not available to everyone.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.