fbpx

Location of 2009 Rally

Home Forums General discussion Motorcycle Talk – General Topics Location of 2009 Rally

This topic contains 26 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  ANTON LARGIADER 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

MARK FLANAGAN
    Participant

[QUOTE=Beemer-me-up »]I’ve fired all my contacts and shot the moles. Hey it will be announced when its announced. I believe last year was not announced until Dec or Jan. Just because the MOA announces the next rally before the start of that years rally does not mean that the RA has to. All good thing come in time. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I could care less about where. East, west, north, south is enough. I just need to know when.

mrich12000
    Participant

[SIZE=26][COLOR=magenta]Toronto would be a very nice place to have it 😀 [/COLOR][/SIZE]

RUSSELL SHAG
    Participant

[QUOTE=MarkF »]I could care less about where. East, west, north, south is enough. I just need to know when.[/QUOTE]

I wish someone would say something about the date and maybe the general area:confused:

GATINEAU GERARD
    Participant

Judging by the post rate here, I’d say “someone” is busy doing other things!

One of the things that seems to be attractive to most about the RA, (the looseness of the organizational structure), is also the reason why there is a little more “flexibility” in when the rally info is firmed up and communicated to the constituency!

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

[QUOTE=jeremell »]I’m wondering, does the RA consider the location of the MOA rally?[/QUOTE]
    I think both clubs try to establish their location before the other announces (usually the announcement is at the previous rally, the RA hasn’t managed this since Shelbyville) so it would be tough.

I haven’t been on the rally committee but the driving force behind the RA rally location is the riding. Being a smaller rally we can get into places that the MOA no longer fits, so we have a bit more flexibility as far as staying near good roads.

The other factor related to your question is that the RA only goes out west once every 3~5 years. Those have been great rallies but are never well attended.

So the location depends those (and other) things and we try to decide (or at least be well on the way through site selection) before the MOA announces. I guess the answer is no.

KENNITH OSBORNE
    Participant

Anton, I would thing a location around Lexington would be a good choice or maybe around Blacksburg. I don’t think it would be big enough for the MOA (I’m shocked it will be just down the road in Gray, TN this year). I would think a ski resort in Central Virginia or Southern West Virginia would also be a good choice. Hard to beat where we live.

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

[QUOTE=osbornk »]I would think a ski resort in Central Virginia or Southern West Virginia would also be a good choice. Hard to beat where we live.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. Snowshoe, Cass, those are my favorite riding areas when I have time for a full day ride! 33 to Elkins, 219 south and then loop out through Helvetia, Hacker Valley and Webster Springs, back to Valley Head, 219 down to Snowshoe, Cass, then 250 back home again. A rear tire-shredder of a day.

Oh yeah, the rally. We could have a rally anywhere in that area. As for Lexington, personally I’m very wary of having one in Virginia because of the smothering police presence and bulls**t enforcement mentality here. I love the Old Dominion and don’t plan to leave but in all fairness to our members I could never support an RA rally in this state.

KENNITH OSBORNE
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader »]Oh yeah, the rally. We could have a rally anywhere in that area. As for Lexington, personally I’m very wary of having one in Virginia because of the smothering police presence and bulls**t enforcement mentality here. I love the Old Dominion and don’t plan to leave but in all fairness to our members I could never support an RA rally in this state.[/QUOTE]

The police might be a problem in Uppityville and north but it is the opposite west of Roanoke. It might have to do with it being a college “town” and the influence of celebrity residents.

A friend and I recently led a ride through the mountains of riders from New Mexico and Texas. The Texas rider passed a car at 60 MPH in a 35 MPH speed zone using a left turn lane. He did it with a state trooper sitting on the opposite side of the road watching. The trooper had to respond and stop him because there were many witnesses. The trooper gave the rider a choice of three tickets. He could choose reckless driving, speeding or the improper use of a lane. He was guilty of all three but the trooper explained the best choice was the speeding ticket. The trooper let him accept the least penalty. That doesn’t happen everywhere.

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

[Political stuff spun off to its [URL=”http://www.bmwra.org/forum/showthread.php?t=325″]own thread[/URL] in regionals]

TIMOTHY BARD
    Participant

Wow, we still haven’t heard yet. An unnamed person “in the know” told me back in September that the 2009 rally date and location was close to being finalized and announced. The only thing I can figure is the deal fell through and negotiations are ongoing at that location or elsewhere. I still have a some time before I need to schedule vacation time. Would be nice to know though.

Roy Jackson
    Participant

[QUOTE=beemerphile1 »]Wow, we still haven’t heard yet. An unnamed person “in the know” told me back in September that the 2009 rally date and location was close to being finalized and announced. The only thing I can figure is the deal fell through and negotiations are ongoing at that location or elsewhere. I still have a some time before I need to schedule vacation time. Would be nice to know though.[/QUOTE]

I agree, as where I work we have to start picking our vacations in January. I’m still thinking the location will be know by then. Hope its worth the wait as the MOA May have picked a good site for a change. 😮

DOGGETT MARK
    Participant

It has been said that the RA is “laid back” which can be a good thing but your positives can also be your negatives. Many people need to plan vacations early in the year. It would be nice to know the next rally site sooner than later. It isn’t nearly as difficult to find a site for 1,200 to 1,500 people as it is for 6,000 to 10,000.

It would be nice to move to a new level above “laid back”.

jeremell
    Participant

[QUOTE=doggettbeemer »]It has been said that the RA is “laid back” which can be a good thing but your positives can also be your negatives. Many people need to plan vacations early in the year. It would be nice to know the next rally site sooner than later. It isn’t nearly as difficult to find a site for 1,200 to 1,500 people as it is for 6,000 to 10,000.

It would be nice to move to a new level above “laid back”.[/QUOTE]

+1 for a new level above laid back!!!

Roy Jackson
    Participant

From one of my many, many cotacts and moles, located at the highest positions possible inside of the RA, I have learned that the location for 2009 Rally will be announced in approx. two weeks. It will be east of the Mississippi, and in a very 😎 location. Stay tuned, more info is soon to come.

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

OK, the decision is made and I think it will be announced Real Soon Now, as in maybe today or at the very least this week.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.