This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bmweuro 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

There’s a chance you could find a break in the wire leading to the grip and repair it, but as you get closer to the heating wires (or into them) it becomes a lot more fiddly. No harm checking – take off the bar-end weight and look for broken stuff – but replacement is usually the way to go.

moondog
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader »]There’s a chance you could find a break in the wire leading to the grip and repair it, but as you get closer to the heating wires (or into them) it becomes a lot more fiddly. No harm checking – take off the bar-end weight and look for broken stuff – but replacement is usually the way to go.[/QUOTE]

Well I got lots of time this winter so I can play with it. 😀 I haven’t tried wiggling the wiring with an ohm meter on it yet. I got to think about a new grip also. Something bigger then stock.

bmweuro
    Participant

I have repaired them on the older R and K models by carefully pealing the rubber grip off and re-soldering the broken wire. I have also replaced the rubber grips with the standrad grip and they work fine. You can replace the left side with a right side rubber grip as the ID is larger for the throttle sleeve.

moondog
    Participant

On my 1996 K1100RS my left hand grip has went kaput! I have got 8.8 ohms on the right side and open on the left. What does the element look like? Easy to change? Does the grip get wrecked in the process? I have heard about larger grips so I may go that route also.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.