This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tomstarr 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tomstarr
    Participant

The Integral ABS II is listed as an $1100 option on the R1200R.

Does anyone know how to confirm whether it is actually installed on a used bike?

Thanks in advance!!

–Tom

marchyman
    Participant

Check if the rear brake is actuated when you squeeze the front brake lever.

Or look at the hydraulic lines for the rear brake. Is there a line from the pedal to the caliper or does the line from the pedal go up under the tank with a return line running back to the caliper?

tomstarr
    Participant

Thanks! I know the bike has rear ABS, which the hydraulic line routing confirms, but no caliper action is visible. Need a way to raise the rear wheel, or to let it spin….

Still seems like there should be some easier way to know, maybe I need a shop manual….

ackgs
    Participant

How about the serial #? My ’99 GS has an A after it (as in GSA #####) to designate ABS. or so I am told. A dealer should be able to tell you if that is true.

marchyman
    Participant

[QUOTE=tomstarr »]Thanks! I know the bike has rear ABS, which the hydraulic line routing confirms, but no caliper action is visible. Need a way to raise the rear wheel, or to let it spin….[/QUOTE]

The [B]only[/B] ABS offered on the R1200R is integral ABS. If you know that the bike has ABS then you know it has Integral ABS.

Are you then asking “is it version 1 or version 2”? Turn on ignition. Squeeze brake. Do you hear the whine of the electric power assist motor? Yes: you have version 1. No: you have version 2.

tomstarr
    Participant

Very interesting.

The bike has a “braking failure” light in the upper left which flashes until one starts rolling and there is no electric servo motor noise when squeezing the brake with the ignition on but the engine off, so I’m presuming it must be Integral ABS version 2.

The original intent of my question was something like a serial number mapping my insurance company could use to give ABS credit, but I understand that is not possible.

So Thanks!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.