I’m finally a BMW owner! Whoohoo!

Home Forums General discussion Motorcycle Talk – General Topics I’m finally a BMW owner! Whoohoo!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  MSteven 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

MSteven
    Participant

I grew up riding bikes, starting with a Honda 90 in the late 60’s dirt bikes (motocross, enduro and trail riding) and bought a poor man’s BMW, a ’77 Yamaha XS750. Well that’s what it was billed as anyway!:) I always wanted a BMW but couldn’t afford one.
    I put lots of miles on that bike, 34000 in 5 years, if it wasn’t raining when I left for work or play I rode. I know that’s not impressive compared to some of the real riders I’ve met, but it was a lot of riding for someone with 7 1/2 months riding season.
    Kids and money crunch caused me to sell all 5 bikes in 1982, and I didn’t ride till 4 years ago when a friend sold me his 83 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special cheap!

My wife took to riding passenger immediately and this year the old 650 didn’t appeal to either of us.

I started looking in classifieds and Craigslist here in Michigan, and last weekend drove South to Grand Rapids and rode four different bikes.
    Two mid 80’s Yamaha 750 Seca’s with tour packs, a ’91 K100/RS and last an
    ’85 K100/RT with Cycle Burro single wheel trailer.

My wife spoke over my shoulder as we finished our ride on the K100/RT that “She wants this one”.
    Funny, before we rode this one she had been quietly campaigning for one of the Yamaha’s (because they were 1/2 the cost of the BMW’s) but 10 minutes on the K100/RT with it’s Corbin seat and she was hooked.
    Obviously the K100/RT is in our garage today!:D

Very nice condition, 59,000 miles and just a few scratches.

I really wish the ’91 K100/RS was more comfortable for two-up riding, it was a real peach! Pearl White and only one scratch I could find, 44,000 miles and a nice price at $3500. I just could not rationalize buying the RS when an RT is the configuration we needed.

We won’t be using the trailer, and it will be going down the road, as soon as I can find someone who can’t live without it.

Anyone in the Midwest area interested in a trailer?

Anyway, this is a long and rambling first post, but I thought some might be mildly interested in how I got here.
    Mark

dpryan
    Participant

Welcome Mark, and good luck with your new ride!

ROY JACKSON
    Participant

[SIZE=”4″]Welcome aborad, and Ramble on, it was a good read.[/SIZE]:cool:

MSteven
    Participant

Thanks folks, I’ve put 245 miles on it since Sunday when we put 63 miles, and that’s around working 10 hour shifts! The long way to work is now the norm.:D

We took our first night ride yesterday, and I find I need driving lights.
    I’ll start a new thread.
    Mark

Maylett
    Participant

[QUOTE=MSteven]I grew up riding bikes, starting with a Honda 90 in the late 60’s dirt bikes (motocross, enduro and trail riding) and bought a poor man’s BMW, a ’77 Yamaha XS750.[/QUOTE]
    Your history is similar to mine. I started out on a Honda Trail 90 and graduated up through larger Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha trail, motocross and road bikes. My BMW RT sits in the garage right next to my ’81 Yamaha XS 1100 Special that I bought new way back in college (they actually get along just fine).

Despite my love for that motorcycle, one good thing about your new BMW is that with 59,000 miles you’ve still likely got more miles left on the bike than if you’d gotten a brand new Yamaha. So from that standpoint, it was money well spent. Good luck to you and your wife riding the Beemer.

Dutch
    Participant

Mark; As a fellow Wolverine,(and a first time BMW owner), WELCOME!! Send me a P.M., as I might be interested in the trailer. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

lineman29
    Participant

Congrats on the new to you ride. The RT is a pretty sweet machine. I had a 04 RT that I sold 4 years ago. I do miss that bike. My 89 GS and 76 R60/6 keep me happy though.;)

CTYankee
    Participant

Congrats and enjoy the ride!!!! Welcome.

MSteven
    Participant

[QUOTE=Dutch »]Mark; As a fellow Wolverine,(and a first time BMW owner), WELCOME!! Send me a P.M., as I might be interested in the trailer. Vaya con Dios, Dutch[/QUOTE]

Dutch, pm sent.
    Mark

MSteven
    Participant

[QUOTE=Maylett »]Your history is similar to mine. I started out on a Honda Trail 90 and graduated up through larger Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha trail, motocross and road bikes. My BMW RT sits in the garage right next to my ’81 Yamaha XS 1100 Special that I bought new way back in college (they actually get along just fine).

Despite my love for that motorcycle, one good thing about your new BMW is that with 59,000 miles you’ve still likely got more miles left on the bike than if you’d gotten a brand new Yamaha. So from that standpoint, it was money well spent. Good luck to you and your wife riding the Beemer.[/QUOTE]
    ++++++++++++++++++++++
    I always liked the Yamaha XS1100’s brute force motor and civil shaft drive.

People have commented on the fact that this BMW K100/RT is a 24 year old bike, but it’s been really well care for and like you say, should be good for a long time.

Mark

Dutch
    Participant

Mark: Thanks for the P.M.. The trailer looks pretty nice!! Don’t worry about the age of your “new” Beemer, my is a 1976, and until just recently, it was running fine… Pentwater is about 80 miles or so from Grayling. About 15 miles south of Ludington and 40 miles north of Muskegon. I too, own a Yamaha as well as a BMW. Although my is a 750 Maxim attached to a Velorex side car. The two bikes seem to get along just fine….(So far!!) Let me check the pocket book and I’ll talk to you later about the trailer. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

MSteven
    Participant

You aren’t too far away, a little over 2 hours.

I may not get a chance to check this forum too often, late Summer is busy time. Give me a call on my cell phone or E-mail me, I do check that every day.
    Mark

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.