This topic contains 42 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Firenailer 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

AndrewE
    Participant

My first and only bike was a ’73 R75/5. Sold it about 10 years ago to pay the rent for a couple months, didn’t replace it. As time goes on, I feel it’s more of a luxury for me now, choosing to spend my time in other ways. As my kids get older and don’t rely on me for entertainment or transportation, I will likely buy another one. But for now, I’m content to sneak a ride on my brothers’ 800.

CT-RT
    Participant

I came back last year after about 22 yrs. From talking to people it’s not an unusual one.
    Once during those 22 yrs my wife said she wouldn’t have married me if I had kept the bike. Now she tells me.
    Glad to be back though.
    Got my son into it though I wish he had done it younger.
    Most people I hear who are leaving are for age.
    Saw a lot of limpers at the Finger Lakes Rally.

CTYankee
    Participant

I had an very interesting conversation at a Labor day event. I met a nice guy in his 70s who had just recently given up riding. He spent hundreds of thousands of miles riding all over the united states over the past 50 years. In the most recent 20 or so, he was a self described Honda-guy. He struck up a conversation with me when he saw my red bmw ra t-shirt.

He was t-boned by a car in the spring. And his bike was totaled.

When I asked if he was going to get back on another Honda, his response was that recovery took longer than he thought it should have and during a follow up with his doctor, he was advised that due to his age, future accidents would take as long and longer to heal. “Reflexes and bones aren’t what they used to be” he said. So, after some careful consideration and the advice from his doctor, he decided to (in his words) “Hang up the leather for good. ”

He is a super nice guy, he had a terrific perspective. I hope when the days comes where I give it up, I’m as okay with it as he seemed to be.

MPGOLIGHTLY
    Participant

In my younger days, I rode a 1979 Honda XL-100, had no idea what I was doing, but, I learned as I went along. There was not any rider training in those days.

I crashed and burned 4 different times in those days and always somehow got back up. But, at the age of 19 I seemed to bounce pretty well.

lesson #1 I learned that when the rear brake is locked up, ride it out, the first time high sided me into a barb wire fence, good thing about leather flight jackets, their tough.

lesson#2 Make sure the intersection is clear and traffic approaching from the left can go first even if you have the right away.

lesson #3 when riding side xside, make sure your partner won’t turn into you.

lesson #4 street knobbies will slide out from under you even at low speeds at the university rounding a turn.

close calls, every day. have to ride through todays traffic like tip-toeing through a mine field. Best thing I ever done was take the MSF safety class.

I don’t know what I would do if I could not ride, it’s an addiction.
    A couple of years ago I had a doctors appointment, he must have been standing in the window when I came in, first thing he said “Motorcycles are not Doctor approved” . But, then again what is?:D

Ride safe, ride often

AKBeemer
    Participant

Another guy who took a 20 year break, but now I’m back.

Navy CWO
    Participant

I quit riding in 1982 after a near fatal accident in Homestead, Florida. I sold both bikes I owned and bought a pickup truck. As the human psyche works, I eventually suppressed the bad accident memories and recalled the good ones I had from riding for sixteen years or so. I decided I missed the fun I had riding a motorcycle. Three years ago, I sat down and had a long talk with my wife, who said if I miss riding so much and enjoyed it so much then I should go back to riding as life is too short not to do something I enjoyed so much. Her stipulations were, full gear all the time and that I take a “refresher” riding course. I did so and rehabbed a 1982 Honda GL500, I liked the idea of shaft drive. I rode it for a year and bought a 1991 BMW R 100GS. I love it! My youngest son now rides it up in Colorado. My wife and I are in the process of restoring a 1967 BSA Victor Enduro 441. And, my wife now rides. After taking the Basic Rider Course, she decided she wanted a bike and now rides a Honda Rebel. She’s up to about 800 miles on it and we ride every chance we get! So, I guess maybe you can “go home again”!

popeye
    Participant

I can’t see myself giving up riding anytime soon, and when I am too weak to hold up a 600 pound bike I’ll be shopping for a trike or a side car. I gave up riding for a while when I was in the Navy and missed it ALOT, so when it was feasable to own a bike again I got one. I agree that it is not a good idea to talk someone out of giving it up also. From personal experiance if you quit and it is not the right thing to do, you will be back as soon as it becomes possible to do.

b52g
    Participant

Recently a guy I work with sold his 2 year old HD and bought a new HD trike. Now that was a smart decision because I ride in vehicles with him at work and his driving is scary ,to say the least. I usually scoff at trikes or bikes and scooters with what I call training wheels. Always said I would hang up the helmet before I would ride one of those things. But lately I have thought, what would I really do if I had to give up two wheels. Cycles have been a part of my life for over 43 years. My SO and I put in a lot of seat time every year. Hope I don’t have to make that decision for a while yet. Who knows, maybe training wheels are better than none.

MarkF
    Participant

I’d get a Can-Am Spyder before I’d give up riding.

AntonLargiader
    Participant

There were a few different Spyder-like things at Daytona this year. I think of most of them as oversized quads, which is good and bad. The performance and wind-in-hair factor is there for sure. Having the cornering forces try to toss you off the bike is a bummer, but I haven’t ridden one so I can’t say if that’s really such a big deal.

marchyman
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader ยป]There were a few different Spyder-like things at Daytona this year. I think of most of them as oversized quads, which is good and bad. The performance and wind-in-hair factor is there for sure. Having the cornering forces try to toss you off the bike is a bummer, but I haven’t ridden one so I can’t say if that’s really such a big deal.[/QUOTE]

A friend-of-a-friend is rumored to have put on in a ditch leaving the dealer parking lot on a test ride. He tried to counter steer and missed the driveway. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

// marc

Radar41
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader ยป]When I hear someone say they’re giving up riding, I don’t try to change their mind. It’s what they want, and I just assume they rather not ride than ride, when it comes down to it. They might still like the idea of riding, but making that decision means that not riding is truly their preference, so I just let it go. I’m usually not even sad for them, except maybe in the cases where they can’t afford to ride or something like that. Kids, wife, whatever… it’s that person’s choice.[/QUOTE]

I agree, giving up or continuing to ride at “age” is a personal choice and one which must be considered carefully, based on physical/mental condition. ๐Ÿ™‚ At 68 I will [B]NOT[/B] go quietly, and do everything possible to continue riding! I use diet control and physical fitness, cardio and weight training to stay in shape. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I see a lot of riders my age, who would benefit from a regular exercise program. Yes it takes DISICPLINE, but the payoff is definately worth it.

Ok, getting off the soap box now and going riding :-)!!!

Adam Arcane
    Participant

I’ve been enjoying 2 wheels for 45 years. It just gets better as the machines evolve. That said, I once quit riding after my merciless KTM 950 Adv threw me to the ground in a tight, sandy corner. Rang my bell right proper, it did, and trashed my new Arai and left clavicle, but the bike was fine! That’s what strangely mattered to me, as I had 2 buds help me back on the machine for the 40 twisty mile ride to the ER. That was one ride! Gave up riding for three months that time, and re-broke the bone cutting firewood. Nobody ever said I was smart.

But passionate I am. There is something palpable that goes to the heart of the brain and spirit when you understand the thrill of countersteering along pristine, uncrowded back roads all alone in your helmet. The world rushes into your psyche like supercharged fluid poetry. Life without a contact patch?

I’ll be riding a sidecar rig until they put me away, or I’m just too brittle, or think I’m in the Confederate army. I figure I have two good decades left. Ha!

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.