fbpx

Get there on the Blue Ridge Parkway

This topic contains 33 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  BERT BRUMFIELD 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

scbmwrider
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader »]Slab to VA on I-81?!?! Are you kidding?

I have ridden these roads many times. It’s totally doable in two days without sitting on the slab, but you have to get a good start both mornings.[/QUOTE]

My input is based on 2 things.

I don’t know Eastern PA and VA roads and…

Some folks (like us) just don’t have the time luxury of taking 2 days for the trip. If they can work it out in one direction or the other from Asheville to Fancy gap is a great section of the parkway.

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

[QUOTE=scbmwrider »]Some folks (like us) just don’t have the time luxury of taking 2 days for the trip. If they can work it out in one direction or the other from Asheville to Fancy gap is a great section of the parkway.[/QUOTE]
    No prob, but the guy was specifically asking for a two-day route.

I find that each secton of the BRP has its own personality. Afton to Lexington has good views – make that great views – and a nice mix of corners. Lexington down to Roanoke and then Fancy Gap you get a lot of rolling pastureland. It’s pretty straight, not much in the way of sweeping vistas, but the rolling hills are nice and for some reason I just like the farmland scenery a lot.

South of that, for the next 100 miles or so it gets more wooded and IMO there really isn’t that much of interest until at least Little Switzerland, although some of the side roads are fabulous. Even when you can see the surrounding valleys there isn’t anything to see except woods.

But after Little Switzerland it gets steadily better and better. By Asheville, you have real terrain again, some open views, craggy outcroppings, and the road gets curvier and curvier. The last 50 miles are just fantastic. The worst part is that when you get to the end you’re in Cherokee. Some of my friends go as far as Cherokee and then turn around and go back towards Maggie Vally so that they can a) do that stretch twice, and b) not have to go through Cherokee on their way south.

scbmwrider
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader »]The last 50 miles are just fantastic. The worst part is that when you get to the end you’re in Cherokee. Some of my friends go as far as Cherokee and then turn around and go back towards Maggie Vally so that they can a) do that stretch twice, and b) not have to go through Cherokee on their way south.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. We made that mistake once. HOT day got to the end of the Parkway and turned left into Cherokee.:mad:

I’m also torn on weather to stay on the parkway or take the 276 to 215 loop.

BERT BRUMFIELD
    Participant

[QUOTE=scbmwrider »]

I’m also torn on weather to stay on the parkway or take the 276 to 215 loop.[/QUOTE]

If you have the time definately do the loop and then get back on the parkway, even if you have to double back over some of the same roads. it is worth it.

The 126-126a loop at little switzerland is also a great loop.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.