fbpx

Get there on the Blue Ridge Parkway

This topic contains 33 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  BERT BRUMFIELD 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

Not bad at all. I forget if I mentioned Willville campground; that’s roughly in the same place. Fancy Gap is about mile 198 if memory serves correctly.

Look on the rally site; I think there are some mile markers listed there. It also has a link to the mile-by-mile BRP listing.

No matter what, it’s a bit under 200 miles I think.

JIM BAKER
    Participant

[QUOTE=WVCajun »]would it be from Fancy Gap down to the Biltmore? I have never been on the BRP so I don’t know the mile marker. I’m a Cajun transplanted from south Louisiana to Charleston, WV and I know it is an easy 5 hours from Chas to Asheville via slab. Would it be a hard or easy day if I picked up the BRP at Fancy Gap?

Thanks
    wvcajun[/QUOTE]

Easy day ride. Fancy Gap is approximately 200 mile marker and I believe you exit at marker 390 for Biltmore. By far the best way if you’ve never traveled the parkway. As others have stated, watch your speed, especially in congested areas such as Mabry Mill and the Linn Cove Viaduct areas. Extreme speeding will get you an “extreme” ticket. However if you keep it below 60 (speed limit is 45, some areas 35) you probably won’t have any trouble. A friend and I were stopped a year or so ago at close to 70 and just told to cool it. The ranger stated that most rangers will give you up to 60. Of course you may get the one that won’t tolerate 50 so…no garrantees. It’s a great ride that can be enjoyed at or near the posted limit though. See you there.

Jim

JAMES KNICKERBOCKER
    Participant

I agree it’s a pretty ride lay back and enjoy it around 55 I’ve been doing it since 84 and it gives me piece of mind. Remember you are sharing it with a large number of bicycleists that may be tired and alot of RV’s on a narrow twisty road for the first time plus wildlife that doesn’t get out of the way (turkeys can do almost as much damage to a bike as a deer can)

Jim Post / Bones
    Participant

Be aware of the Wildlife on the Parkway! I have almost hit Coons, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Possums, Dogs and two legged creatures in the Day light hours.
    Nights can be worse!

Also, the are not Mile Markers, they are Kilometer Markers-Km ! An easy mistake.

As mentioned before, tikets are Federal! It use to be that you could not paya ticket, you had to Appear in Federal Court. Not sure if this is still in affect.

Most of the roads off the BRB will give you a fun twisty ride. At Km47 (US-60) 2 miles dow the mountain is Beuna Vista, VA and Glen Mary Park Campground if you have had enough for the day. Stay up the hill past the swimming pool.

Most of all Enjoy the Ride, Jim Post / Bones

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

[QUOTE=Jim Post / Bones »]Also, the are not Mile Markers, they are Kilometer Markers-Km ! An easy mistake.[/quote]
    Jim, whatcha smokin’?!?!

[quote]As mentioned before, tikets are Federal! It use to be that you could not paya ticket, you had to Appear in Federal Court. Not sure if this is still in affect.[/QUOTE]
    Last I knew, you could mail it in just like anywhere else. This was maybe four years ago?

bmwloco
    Participant

First offense is $500 now. No if, and’s or but’s.

Speeding on The Blue Ridge Parkway is a bad idea. 50-60 is o.k. but you’re pushing it if you meet the wrong Ranger.

So, in the end, YMMV.

BERT BRUMFIELD
    Participant

Markers on the parkway are in MILES, not km.

Yea, a ticket on the parkway is a federal offence [federal court, if you want to contest it] BUT, 😀
    The good part is that they do not notify the states of the offence and you get no points [go figure??]:confused:

Roy Jackson
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up. I haven’t been on the parkway for several years. Maybe this time I will get to enjoy some of the scenery.

scbmwrider
    Participant

For those comming from the NE this is a great ride if time allows!

Exit I81 at I77 south go about 30 miles to Fancy Gap and get on the Parkway MM 199.5. You are about 190 miles and a great ride from the Rally, US 25 exit at MM 388.8.

It’s around 5 hrs without stops but a great parkway section.

Also lots of good info at [URL=”http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/”]Blue Ridge Parkway.ORG[/URL]

slashfive
    Participant

I will be meeting my brother in Northern Jersey from R.I. and we are looking for a good 2 day route to the rally.

Looks like we can pick up the blue ridge at its northern point.

Any suggestions on routes to that area?

Thanks! This is the first rally for both of us and we are greatly looking forward to the journey!

Eric.

scbmwrider
    Participant

[QUOTE=slashfive »]I will be meeting my brother in Northern Jersey from R.I. and we are looking for a good 2 day route to the rally.

Looks like we can pick up the blue ridge at its northern point.

Any suggestions on routes to that area?

Thanks! This is the first rally for both of us and we are greatly looking forward to the journey!

Eric.[/QUOTE]

If you want to slab it to the BRP it’s hard to beat I81 then just a little ease on I64

bmwloco
    Participant

If you hit the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, make sure it’s in the morning. It takes a good 8 hours or more (at the posted 45 mph speed limit) to get to Asheville from the Northern Virginia area.

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

Slab to VA on I-81?!?! Are you kidding?

From very northern NJ, take 209 south through the park to Stroudsburg, then take I-80 west to I-81 south for about 20 miles to PA61. Go west to Centralia and ride out on the aabandoned road to see the smoke coming out of the ground from the underground coal fires. Then go west to Shamokin and down 125. When you get to a crossroad with SR4011 and 125 goes left, go straight and follow that around to 125 again north of Ravine. 125 south to Pine Grove, 501 south to Lancaster, turns to 272 and then west on 372 across the Susquehanna. Take the Maryland Scenic Routes (there is an excellent MD state website for these) to the vicinity of Frederick, then SR17 south and cross the Potomac at Brunswick. Various roads to Purcellville, Marshall, then 647 to Flint Hill and US522 south to Sperryville. Cross over the mountain on 211 and then turn around and come back. Continue south out of town on 522 and take 231 south to Madison, US29 south for a few miles, 230 south to Stanardsville and 810 south to Crozet.

That was a full day. Maybe you only made it as far as here (Charlottesville) but anyway you now have about 400 miles of BRP to go the next day. It’s quite doable but you need to start early. Breakfast at Peaks of Otter (the restaurant at Otter Creek was closed last I knew) or maybe in the Crozet area, then lunch at Meadows of Dan maybe. At the rally in the evening.

Start with fresh tires. 🙂

I have ridden these roads many times. It’s totally doable in two days without sitting on the slab, but you have to get a good start both mornings.

KENNITH OSBORNE
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader »]Start with fresh tires. 🙂

I have ridden these roads many times. It’s totally doable in two days without sitting on the slab, but you have to get a good start both mornings.[/QUOTE]

You’re right about the tires. My first round trip-tip to tip adventure on the Parkway aomost got me in trouble. I thought my rear tire was good for several thousand miles but it was so worn by the time I got home, I thought the cords were going to be showing. The pavement is very hard on tires. I live about 45 or 50 miles from the Parkway and most of the calls we get from folks who call us from the Anonymous book is related to worn tires.

slashfive
    Participant

Thanks! Just what I was looking for!
    Will get out the map soon and mark the route, See you all there!!!

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader »]Slab to VA on I-81?!?! Are you kidding?

From very northern NJ, take 209 south through the park to Stroudsburg, then take I-80 west to I-81 south for about 20 miles to PA61. Go west to Centralia and ride out on the aabandoned road to see the smoke coming out of the ground from the underground coal fires. Then go west to Shamokin and down 125. When you get to a crossroad with SR4011 and 125 goes left, go straight and follow that around to 125 again north of Ravine. 125 south to Pine Grove, 501 south to Lancaster, turns to 272 and then west on 372 across the Susquehanna. Take the Maryland Scenic Routes (there is an excellent MD state website for these) to the vicinity of Frederick, then SR17 south and cross the Potomac at Brunswick. Various roads to Purcellville, Marshall, then 647 to Flint Hill and US522 south to Sperryville. Cross over the mountain on 211 and then turn around and come back. Continue south out of town on 522 and take 231 south to Madison, US29 south for a few miles, 230 south to Stanardsville and 810 south to Crozet.

That was a full day. Maybe you only made it as far as here (Charlottesville) but anyway you now have about 400 miles of BRP to go the next day. It’s quite doable but you need to start early. Breakfast at Peaks of Otter (the restaurant at Otter Creek was closed last I knew) or maybe in the Crozet area, then lunch at Meadows of Dan maybe. At the rally in the evening.

Start with fresh tires. 🙂

I have ridden these roads many times. It’s totally doable in two days without sitting on the slab, but you have to get a good start both mornings.[/QUOTE]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.