Get there on the Blue Ridge Parkway

This topic contains 33 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  BERT BRUMFIELD 12 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

KENNITH OSBORNE
    Participant

If you’re coming from the north, you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway at the top of Afton Mountain at I-64 between Charlottesville and Waynesboro, Virginia. Asheville is 380 miles down the parkway and there is plenty of camping areas along the way. Once you get to the Rally, you can do the rest of the parkway and complete the 469 miles of the parkway. The ride to the Rally can be one of the best experiences of your summer.

[url]http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/[/url]

MARK FLANAGAN
    Participant

I was thinking of Sherando Lake Campground as a night before rally point. It’s only a day on the BRP away from Ashville. I know a local BMW club hold an annual rally there.

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

I live about 25 minutes from Afton Mountain, and we ride the BRP frequently. Although there have been some crack-downs on speeders, it’s still one of my favorite roads and enforcement is usually very light during the week.

We’ll be riding down all the way to Asheville, probably staying at Willville for the night (at least one slow bike in our group). There may be an organized “Rolling Rally” like Steve Coburn organized in the past which would be this same route but maybe a day later (if we end up going down a day early; haven’t decided yet).

A favorite detour of mine is to take a left at Cannaday’s Gap Road (right would be Starbuck Road) at mile 155.3. Take that down to VA40, go right (south) and you have a wonderful twisty section whereas the BRP is rather dull in that area. When you get to Woolwine, go right on VA8 back up to the BRP.

Several BRP-related links at [url]www.blueridgerunners.org[/url] including PalmOS versions of the mile-by-mile.

scbmwrider
    Participant

Just to let all who do not know.

A ticket on the parkway is a FEDERAL ticket.

KENNITH OSBORNE
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader »]I live about 25 minutes from Afton Mountain, and we ride the BRP frequently. Although there have been some crack-downs on speeders, it’s still one of my favorite roads and enforcement is usually very light during the week.

We’ll be riding down all the way to Asheville, probably staying at Willville for the night (at least one slow bike in our group). There may be an organized “Rolling Rally” like Steve Coburn organized in the past which would be this same route but maybe a day later (if we end up going down a day early; haven’t decided yet).

A favorite detour of mine is to take a left at Cannaday’s Gap Road (right would be Starbuck Road) at mile 155.3. Take that down to VA40, go right (south) and you have a wonderful twisty section whereas the BRP is rather dull in that area. When you get to Woolwine, go right on VA8 back up to the BRP.

Several BRP-related links at [url]www.blueridgerunners.org[/url] including PalmOS versions of the mile-by-mile.[/QUOTE]

To me, the worst part of the parkway is the stretch through Roanoke. The houses and development along there makes it anything but special. I sometimes get off (or on depending on which way I’m going) where the parkway crosses 460 and taking I-81 to route 8 (or the reverse) and get on the parkway near Floyd.

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

Federal offense basically means it’s cheap and doesn’t go on your record.

The road for the Biltmore Estate is about mile 389 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, for those planning trips. A great resource for locations and distances is [url]http://ncnatural.com/Parkway/[/url] and especially the [URL=”http://ncnatural.com/Parkway/MilebyMile.html”]mile-by-mile[/URL] listings.

MARK FLANAGAN
    Participant

[QUOTE=osbornk »]To me, the worst part of the parkway is the stretch through Roanoke. The houses and development along there makes it anything but special. [/QUOTE]

How come I don’t remember that. I love the mountain section but enjoy the rolling farmland much better.

KENNITH OSBORNE
    Participant

[QUOTE=MarkF »]How come I don’t remember that. I love the mountain section but enjoy the rolling farmland much better.[/QUOTE]

It’s probably just me. I live deep in the mountains that are much like the area surrounding Asheville without the city and the people. I can see another house from my house only in the winter when the leaves are off so seeing a bunch of houses and development in a pristine forest just turns me off.

It snowed enough here yesterday that I had to use four wheel drive to pick up my new to me R1200CL to go with my airhead. LOVE THE MOUNTAINS.

JAMES KNICKERBOCKER
    Participant

I remember when those places first started going up in Va. I was so upset I didn’t ride that section for a few years. I wish they could put a stand of trees up between them and the Parkway.

KENNITH OSBORNE
    Participant

It’s going to get worse around Roanoke near the Parkway. They have an unsuccessful “Explore Park” near the parkway that is being turned over to a private developer to make a “Destination” attraction. He has been very vague on his intentions but it is expected to something along the lines of a Dollywood. If they do that, the people and traffic will make us all bypass that section of the Parkway.

JAMES KNICKERBOCKER
    Participant

That sucks I’ve been to that explore area not bad. I hope the remoteness makes this outsourced attraction go out of business so they can make it a camp area or just another picinic place where they don’t need service people. Kinda sounds like when Disney wanted to to build next to Manassas.Maybe of more riders would join friends of the parkway we could put more pressure on keeping it pristine.

KENNITH OSBORNE
    Participant

[QUOTE=X-Troller »]That sucks I’ve been to that explore area not bad. I hope the remoteness makes this outsourced attraction go out of business so they can make it a camp area or just another picinic place where they don’t need service people. Kinda sounds like when Disney wanted to to build next to Manassas.Maybe of more riders would join friends of the parkway we could put more pressure on keeping it pristine.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think it would do any good. The local governments control the area and they don’t care what the common people think. They make you appreciate your local government and it doesn’t matter how bad it is. Every once in a while the voters get fed up and vote in the other party but it doesn’t matter, nothing changes. There is a reason they have the highest property taxes west of Charlottesville.

bmwloco
    Participant

Speeding on the Blue Ridge Parkway is no longer a slap on the wrist.

First offense: $500

Second: $1000

You can thank a bunch of Porsche idiots for the new fines. They were the last straw. The Park Service got tired of pursuing bikers and sports car “pilots”

It’s serious. Your bike will be impounded and you will stand before a Federal Magistrate.

Think I’m kidding? Try it.

MARK FLANAGAN
    Participant

[QUOTE=bmwloco »]Speeding on the Blue Ridge Parkway is no longer a slap on the wrist.

It’s serious. Your bike will be impounded and you will stand before a Federal Magistrate.

Think I’m kidding? Try it.[/QUOTE]

Any if you are from Canada you might just spend a night in jail.

MATTHEW GUIDRY
    Participant

would it be from Fancy Gap down to the Biltmore? I have never been on the BRP so I don’t know the mile marker. I’m a Cajun transplanted from south Louisiana to Charleston, WV and I know it is an easy 5 hours from Chas to Asheville via slab. Would it be a hard or easy day if I picked up the BRP at Fancy Gap?

Thanks
    wvcajun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.