fbpx

Garmin Nuvi 550 anyone?

Home Forums General discussion Bike Gear and Farkles Garmin Nuvi 550 anyone?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vuduchld
    Spectator

Hey, I’m looking at adding a Nuvi 550 (waterproof, MC friendly) to my 2010 RT. I just need basic GPS functions. I will stream music from a bluetooth MP3 player and talk to passengers or bike to bike via a helmet mounted comm system, (Sena SMH10), bluetooth.

Does anybody have or use one of these GPS’s and if so, I’d like to hear about it and see some pics of how you mounted it.

I’m not talking about a Zumo 550 BTW…

ANTON LARGIADER
    Spectator

We used one of the Nuvi units (dunno which one) on our recent car trip. The big complaint was the touch screen – it took a lot of force to drag stuff, and it was really difficult to drag the map without having the GPS act as though we’d tapped something that wasn’t even close to where we had touched.

Routing was pretty rudimentary. It was nearly impossible to make it avoid the interstate. It would take us WAY out of our way just to get onto one. When we did get it to avoid the interstate, it was by making it choose “shortest route” which meant theoretically spending an extra 20 minutes in traffic to save half a mile. There was no easily discernible middle ground.

Once we could talk it into agreeing to a reasonable route, the navigation was mostly good except… when you overshoot a turn, it will take you to the next navigable turnaround which might be miles up the road, rather than telling you to just turn around (this was all with the voice turned off). This happened on the way to the RA rally, on a deserted 2-lane road I had overshot a turn and it was still telling me to go straight so I could make some series of turns MILES away and then come back. Having the GPS tell you to keep going in the wrong direction (with the colored line on the map leading you there) is pretty dumb. Once I figured it out, I just turned around.

There were definite advantages to having it, mostly the ability to get street-level nav for anywhere in the US, but with two of us in the car we found the good old US Atlas to be far easier for most things.

RRNONE
    Spectator

This model is not optimized for motorcycles.
    Among other things:
    It has no audio plug in, doesn’t support Bluetooth.
    Also, it is not meant to be operated with gloves on.

You could mount it on an RT with a reservoir ( clutch or brake ) cover by RAM MOUNT.

I also have a 550 Nuvii on a 76 R90/6.

Yes it’s tough to operate with gloves on however you’re supposed to be riding, not poking with the toys.:)

It works great for me………….Rod.

APELIAN ED
    Spectator

I have been using a 550 Nuvi on my GS now for about a year. It works GREAT. I use the battery power only and do not have it hard wired. Battery life is listed as 8 hours and I get well over 6 hours. In addition I have an extra battery (buy them on Amazon for about $20) and can get more than a full day. It is VERY waterproof! [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALDiGADCl9c[/url] . It does a great job and you can get RAM mounts to mount it most any place you like. For about $200 I think it is a great alternative to a ZUMO. I do have a ZUMO 450 on my RT and it is a wonderful unit … but costs about twice as much. As others have noted … Nuvi is not as easy with gloves … but then I try and NOT use it while riding and simply pull over when I need to enter info. Just my $.02.

michel105
    Spectator

I have had the pleasure of testing the Nuvi 550. It’s an excellent unit that can be used on your boat, in the car, or on a short walk through the bush. However it does not have all the common functions of a marine or hiking GPS so if you plan to use the unit often in these circumstances you may want to get a regular handheld (60csx) and a separate car navigator(nuvi).

Merlin III
    Spectator

It works great for me. No problems using the touch screen with gloves. You can also burn in routes from other mapping programs so that there is no being pulled on to interstates that you don’t want to be on.

Brisco
    Spectator

I use a Nuvi 550 on my bike. It worked well for a 9845 mile ride to the Artic Circle from Kansas earlier this year.
    It’s water proof, relatively low cost and I can use it fine with gloves on.

If you don’t need bluetooth or audio output, (I don’t) it works well on a bike.

You may be aware of this, but the Nuvi 500 and 550 are the same hardware. Different maps loaded. The 500 has 48 states + Topo maps installed. The 550 has 48 states + Alaska and Canada, but no topo.

Vuduchld
    Spectator

[QUOTE=Brisco »]I use a Nuvi 550 on my bike. It worked well for a 9845 mile ride to the Artic Circle from Kansas earlier this year.
    It’s water proof, relatively low cost and I can use it fine with gloves on.

If you don’t need bluetooth or audio output, (I don’t) it works well on a bike.

You may be aware of this, but the Nuvi 500 and 550 are the same hardware. Different maps loaded. The 500 has 48 states + Topo maps installed. The 550 has 48 states + Alaska and Canada, but no topo.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Brisco. This was what I was thinking about. Some have said it’s a pain but sounds like you made it work for you just fine. I was thinking, for the price, you can’t beat it.

Lisa_ST
    Spectator

This is my current GPS and it works great with my Autocom and my iPhone all bluetooth’ed:

[URL=”http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-660.html?afcode=0T6065CCV”]http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-660.html?afcode=0T6065CCV[/URL]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.