F800 GS – Stalls in the RAIN

Home Forums General discussion Motorcycle Talk – General Topics F800 GS – Stalls in the RAIN

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ackgs 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ackgs
    Participant

Did it restart after it dried out? Sounds water related but maybe not.

marchyman
    Participant

Good point. Your bike died. Bummer. It was raining. That does not mean the rain killed your bike. It might have. Or it might have died on a sunny day, too.

solohvs
    Participant

Sorry – during my rant I forgot to mention how things turned out. After a few minutes the engine restarted. I was able to ride home with some loss of power and miss firing.

Once the weather cleared and the engine dried out it started again and ran perfectly. Like nothing ever happened. I will take this up with the dealer when my next service comes around.

Brian

ackgs
    Participant

I’m guessing water related for sure then. Let us know what you find out from you dealer. Glad you were able to get back on the road. And yeah having your new bike drown out in the rain has got to suck. I see you are from Valley Forge, I grew up in Berwyn -moved away from there a long time ago. Nice country for sure and good riding.

solohvs
    Participant

ackgs – hey guy….

It’s a small world. My father ran the Upper Main Line YMCA. I used to hang out with all the Conestoga kids!

OK – water related stalled engine and it’s mentioned in a few other posts online. I better get used to it!

Brian

dpryan
    Participant

Hello solohvs, and welcome. Glad the bike sorted itself out.

Hopefully it’s not something you’ll have to get TOO used to; I would expect any of these bikes, old or new, to handle most weather conditions that might arise (especially one with ‘GS’ at the end of its name!).

I’d be interested to hear what the dealer determines when you check in with them.

solohvs
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Guys.

Hey Dennis,

I agree with you – GS – should mean something. I don’t want them to put a snorkel on the bike, I just want it to run in the bad weather. If it’s an adventure bike you can’t sit OUT when the rains hit.

Enough said.

Brian

ackgs
    Participant

Brian – Sent you a PM

solohvs
    Participant

I hate to open my BMW RA experience with a complaint, but I’m wondering if anyone has the same problem I had yesterday.

I didn’t want to be a thousand miles from home and NOT have any experience riding my new GS i the rain. So when the clouds rolled in I went out for a spin. I was riding when a thunderstorm dumped heavy rain and the “go anywhere” and “do anything” combat touring GS DIED and I was left standing on the side of the road.

It happened when I pulled the clutch in to gently round a corner. The tach went to ZERO and when I tried to let the clutch out the bike didn’t restart – the engine compression started a skid at 40mph so I rolled to a stop. 😡

My Honda 750 was never effected by rain; the Honda 919 was happy to be out in anything the mother nature could thrown down and my Honda VFR went through thunderstorm after thunderstorm on my last tour of North Carolina and Virginia – and that was on the interstate with marginal driving conditions.

[B]Does anyone want to comment?[/B] I know, I know – if it’s raining that hard I should have been at a coffee shop waiting out the storm. I kept the bike upright, my rain suit kept me dry and I was riding with EXTREME care. The only thing that failed was the most expensive motorcycle I have ever owned !

Brian

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.