fbpx

Expanding the Forum Question

Home Forums Members-only forums Region Reps (private) Expanding the Forum Question

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ANTON LARGIADER 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Dan Wright
    Participant

I was wondering if there is any to expand the forums to include a public regions section. I was thinking it would be a nice way for riders to chatter about local stuff. It could also be another way for Region Reps to distribute information. If possible something could be done like this;

Forums
    Sub Forums: Regions

Arizona Region
    Colorado Region
    Metro NY Region
    and so on.

This could direct more interest in the regions program and local happenings. I could also see the creation of new regions when someone says ” How come my area doesn’t have a regional forum?”

Let me know if you think this could work.

MILES ELWOOD
    Participant

Good idea Dan! But it’d save Anton for his OTL duties if each Region Rep simply set up a forum instead under Yahoo Groups, as Ohio has already done.

To do that go to [url]www.yahoo.com[/url] and click ‘Groups’ (6th down on left side). Or to be more direct just go to [url]http://groups.yahoo.com/[/url]. You (and each participating member – you’ll have to coach them in turn) will need to click on the ‘SignUp’ link in the box toward the right (if not already signed up). Then come back and click on the ‘Start your Yahoo Group today, Easy as 1 2 3 then under ‘Select Group Categories’ link and select ‘Recreation & Sports’. From there click on ‘Automotive’ and then select ‘Motorcycles’. I haven’t followed it further but it should be self-explanatory, and perhaps BJ (OH Rep) or Bob will come in at this point and add to the thread (advice on what to use or ignore on the signup might be one comment).

To take a look at the Ohio RA do a search under Yahoo Groups for ohio ra then click on it’s link when it comes up (you’ll likely have to be signed in first).
    That, plus the Ohio page on the members side of the Regions RA page, is the primary way the Ohio Region “gets the word out”. (But I think they may have to use an occasional postcard for the few not online).
    Elwood

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

Oh please, not Yahoo. Anything but Yahoo. This forum is the correct place for it, otherwise no one will be able to easily see that something is happening in a neighboring region.

Basically, you’re thinking something like the Regional Forums on ADVrider?

MILES ELWOOD
    Participant

I just recommended Yahoo Groups because the Ohio Region had done so (before we set up RA forums), and didn’t want to have you go to extra trouble setting up for each as they come along. True, with Yahoo Groups RA members in any one Region would not see postings to other Regions (unless they’re advised of them and wish to subscribe on their own, much as I subscribe to Yahoo’s Ohio RA even tho I live in NC). Dan is wanting a forum for his NYMetroArea members to ‘talk among themselves’. Is this what we feel all RA members across the country would want to see? The Region Rep Forum itself is for Reps only at present, not their members also. I never heard of ADVrider – what’s it about?
    Elwood

Dan Wright
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader »]
    Basically, you’re thinking something like the Regional Forums on ADVrider?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that was what I was thinking.

Dan Wright
    Participant

[QUOTE=Elwood Miles »]I never heard of ADVrider – what’s it about?
    Elwood[/QUOTE]

Have a look here and I think you will see what I had in mind.
    [url]http://www.advrider.com/forums/[/url]

MILES ELWOOD
    Participant

Just took a quick look and it looks good. But. It’s directed toward adventure riders in general and on all brands. That’s fine but, for BMW Riders in one specific area who may be into adventure riding or may just be into touring – it’s too specialized and Reps setting up such forums there might be “watering it down into a different direction”?

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

No one was suggesting we set anything up there.. it’s not even possible. Someone thought you might want to look at the structure and intent of that part of their forum and see if that was what you wanted to do on the RA forum.

As for Yahoo vs. vBulletin, it’s strictly up to the RR what he does. If he wants his forum hosted here, I’ll set it up. Pictures can even be attached if wanted. If he likes Yahoo instead, fine, but it seems to be a more fragmented approach (since the different Yahoo groups would basically be disconnected from each other and from the RA). But as Bob mentioned, the abilty to participate with direct email is a feature which vBulletin doesn’t offer.

FWIW ADVRider is a vBulletin forum just like ours.

BeemerBJ
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader »]Oh please, not Yahoo. Anything but Yahoo. [/QUOTE]

There are may who feel that Yahoo is too commercial or that Yahoo will use your email address for spam. I have not found the latter to be the case. Perhaps the big advantage to using a Yahoo eGroup is the ability of any members in the eGroup to upload pictures for all others in the eGroup to see and/or download, a very nice feature we use frequently.

What I see as the disadvantage of Yahoo eGroups is that those who use it have to set up a Yahoo user profile, as I have done years ago in order to be in the Ohio Region Yahoo eGroup. Be careful to set up your profile so that you do not get any spam, an option easy to set.

The Ohio Region eGroup has always demanded that your real name and your location are required, and some people do not like this at all. However, this policy seems to keep out those who want to use this as a method of dispersion of advertising and/or other spam. I have my way of keeping in touch with those who do not want to use Yahoo, but these people only get e-massages from me and not from others in the eGroup.

I have two Yahoo eGroup profiles, the second of which I will pass on to my successor Ohio Region Rep, when and if that happens:
    [url]http://profiles.yahoo.com/beemerbj[/url]
    [url]http://profiles.yahoo.com/ohrarep[/url]

Notice that I also have the option to let my e-address be public.

Since I do not have experience in moderating a forum on the RA Forums, I cannot compare the RA Forums to Yahoo eGroups, but I suspect the issues and the effort to keep out unwanted messages would be identical. All members in the Ohio Region Yahoo eGroup have to be approved by a moderator.

Bill Johnston

BeemerBJ
    Participant

[QUOTE=Dan Wright »]I was wondering if there is any (way) to expand the forums to include a public regions section. I was thinking it would be a nice way for riders to chatter about local stuff. It could also be another way for Region Reps to distribute information.
    This could direct more interest in the regions program and local happenings. I could also see the creation of new regions when someone says ” How come my area doesn’t have a regional forum?”

Let me know if you think this could work.[/QUOTE]

I think this has great potential. When Ohio went to the Yahoo eGroup, I doubt there was a RA forum mechanism available. Maybe we went the right way at that time by only allowing approved persons into the eGroup, but I haven’t seen big problems with unwanted spam or other garbage on the RA forums. Maybe a moderator of a public RA forum could state how often threads or other messages have to be deleted.

Having open RA Region forums is a terrific idea, Dan. 😎 If Ohio were to do it, I’d like to find two co-moderators to help make sure postings were appropriate. I know with the eGroup, I was extremely busy at work and not being a good moderator and my single co-moderator was off riding when excessively argumentative exchanges started getting unpleasant, so someone needs to be moderating with some frequency. (Fortunately, this only happened once and another member stepped in to stop the flack from really flying.)

BillJ

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

Back to the comparison with ADVRider, I think having smaller regions (like the ones we currently define) will be good. On ADV, the ‘eastern’ forum is just way too big. Lots of Florida and Atlanta stuff, Pine Barrens stuff, all of it too far away to be of interest most of the time.

I still need to check out the pictures issue. I know we can attach images; let me see what other features vBulletin has.

MARK FLANAGAN
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader »]Back to the comparison with ADVRider, I think having smaller regions (like the ones we currently define) will be good. On ADV, the ‘eastern’ forum is just way too big. Lots of Florida and Atlanta stuff, Pine Barrens stuff, all of it too far away to be of interest most of the time.

I still need to check out the pictures issue. I know we can attach images; let me see what other features vBulletin has.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The ST Net forum has large regions, for example the east coast is Maine to Virginia. Ducati MS has smaller ones. But, I agree that the RA forum is absolutely the right place for this kinda thing. I just wonder if enough people have registered to make it useful.

Dan Wright
    Participant

[QUOTE=MarkF »] I agree that the RA forum is absolutely the right place for this kinda thing. I just wonder if enough people have registered to make it useful.[/QUOTE]

If we build it, they will come.:D

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

Well, speak up if you are a region rep and want me to set up a forum for you. You might also include an opening message that I will ‘sticky’ to the top of the list. Then you’ll need to get the word out to the local clubs in your region, to get people to sign up and make the forum truly useful. Oh, and when you do that you might prod the lapsed clubs to renew their charters. 🙂

I’ll set it up once there are two or three. Just having one is a bit lame.

In the opening message, if you want that, I’d really shy away from any statements about what conduct will be tolerated, etc. An authoritative tone will pretty much guarantee a dead forum.

Dan Wright
    Participant

Thank you Anton! I would like to have a forum for the Metro NY Region. This would be the opening “sticky”.

Welcome to the Metro NY Region Forum

Welcome to the Metro NY Region forum. This is the place for riders in the Metro NY Region to communicate about events, issues, and ideas of interest to other riders in our region.
    “Lurkers” are welcome, but posting is strongly recommended. The forum becomes more interesting with your participation. You must register to post.
    So, go register,then pull up a chair and say hello.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.