This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Beemer-me-up 11 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

JohnM
    Participant

Can’t seem to find it on the site.

TY
    Nearsighted John

pswarren
    Participant

I also read in the OTL about how voting on line would more simple & instructions are on the website. I can’t find them, where are they? :confused:

AntonLargiader
    Participant

[QUOTE=pswarren »]I also read in the OTL about how voting on line would more simple & instructions are on the website. I can’t find them, where are they? :confused:[/QUOTE]

I don’t know where we said ‘simple’ 🙂 but at the bottom of the [B]RA Election 2008[/B] article on page 10 the voting URL is given. And the reference to “instructions on the website” actually says “…on the ballot and at the website”; indeed on the ballot we again provide the URL.

We very specifically did not want to attract every wannabe hacker by plastering the voting URL all over the web. In a concession to those who didn’t see either of the URL listings in the OTL, we did ultimately add it at the top and bottom of the candidates’ position page, which is in turn linked from the BMWRA home page, so if you’re reading this you can indeed get there without typing a single character. Click the BMWRA logo at the top of the page to get to the home page, then click on the link in the first news blurb which will take you to the candidates’ position page. Once you have read them and know your choices, use one of the provided links to get to the voting page.

We’re not trying to be ultra-paranoid about this. Nuclear missiles won’t hit the USA if someone enters a bad vote, but if some bad votes get entered then all of them are suspect. Then we have nothing. So for the first time out (how many other BMW clubs you know have tried this?) we’re taking the conservative route and making people follow some instructions IN THE MAGAZINE. This way people who don’t have the magazine don’t have the instructions. That’s the whole point. On the voting page of the website you’ll find the instructions for completing the electronic ballot.

pswarren
    Participant

Thanks Anton, I found it and cast my vote. Worked very well.:)

Beemerbutt
    Participant

I love the ease of e voting. I think they’ll be a lot more votes posted this year. I had no problem and it saved me a stamp.

AntonLargiader
    Participant

We’ve been talking about the number of votes. No one seems to have a firm grasp on how many votes were cast in previous elections, but you also have to remember that uncontested elections are bound to draw very few votes, especially if someone is expected to spend a stamp on it. This year we have a slight contest in the Trustees positions, at least.

It’s really been pretty trouble-free. We’ve seen some ‘user issues’ which actually seem to be browser issues in one or two cases, and a few cases where the database of potential voters was not up to date, but otherwise it’s been decent.

I’m looking forward to writing a brief article on this when we’re done, and collaborating with a few interested chartered clubs on improving the system for their use in the future.

Dan Wright
    Participant

I just e-voted. Worked fine, very easy. Thank you to all who worked on this project.

AntonLargiader
    Participant

It’s over! The election’s over and e-voting is gone.

I have a little write-up in the next mag saying how it went and how it all worked out. I gotta say, it was pretty fun to set i up and it’s kind of a shame that we don’t have another election for two years. I’m offering the e-voting program (with improvements) to the chartered clubs for their use. We’ll even host their election if they want.

Beemer-me-up
    Participant

[QUOTE=Dan Wright »]I just e-voted. Worked fine, very easy. Thank you to all who worked on this project.[/QUOTE]

+1 😀 This is the way we will be voting from now on I think..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.