fbpx

Dual Sport rides at the Rally!

Home Forums BMWRA International Rally Info Previous years… 2010 Rally – Pownal, VT Dual Sport rides at the Rally!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    PaulBach
    Spectator

[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/PaulBach/RA%20Shots/0c5d70b5.jpg[/IMG]

Don’t bring a knife to a gunfight. Come prepared. Stagehand aka Desert Fox and Steve Malk are among the best GS riders you will find anywhere!

ron scorese
    Spectator

I am new to site, so forgive me if I missed something. I am well versed in off road riding and a new GSA rider.
    I am planning on attending rally for dual sport rides and meet other GS /GSA riders.
    Will there be GS rides for standard enduro tires? I have some long distance paved trips planned leading up to rally. I will attempt to plan a knobbie swap out prior to as the hard core rides sound great, timing is just really bad for me with paved road trips.

By the way, the information on site is great.
    safe riding
    Ron
    GSA/09

Stagehand
    Spectator

Hi Ron!

Yes, there are several different versions of Dual Sport rides available- all of varying intensity, if you will, and I think the worst of the bunch will be on Saturday Morning. Short Ride of Great Difficulty πŸ˜€

All week long prior to that, though, Route sheets will be available from Steve Mauk at Max BMW motorcycles. Something for every skill level and every tire.
    Looking forward~
    Jason

lineman29
    Spectator

Sounds like a good time. Just might have to buy some knobbies while I’m there and change them out. Nothing like changing tires around a campfire I always say.

PaulBach
    Spectator

All – Stagehand is being modest. Steve Malk and stagehand are gnarly dudes who will take you on a hell of a ride. Will street tires do it? Remember – never bring a knife to a gunfight!

ron scorese
    Spectator

Good morning all and thanks again for the tips and info.

Due to work related issues and other travel plans, I can only attend event Saturday and will arrive hopefully by 8:00pm Friday night.

I am well versed and expeirenced in off road riding, with that said, I will only have Torrance EXP ties. I am a believer in having the right tools and equiipment for planned ride or exploration in some cases. I will not have time to mount knobby tires πŸ™ ,

Do I need to consider not going on Saturday morning planned dual sport ride due to lack of knobby tires?
    I do not want to hold up group due to “lack of proper tires”. Again with that said, I really would enjoy a “GSA” ride with experienced GSA riders on a “more agressive ride” as I totally get the hint all play hard. If I can join group, where do I meet? I will be staying in Williamstown, I think Willows motel but need to check my resveration when home. I am all ready pre-registered for event.

safe Riding

Ron
    GSA/09

PaulBach
    Spectator

Call Steve Malk at Max BMW in Troy, NY.

518-279-3040

MAX BMW will have a BIG presence at the rally.

ron scorese
    Spectator

Thanks, I spoke with Steve. He was very helpful.

Looks like I am good to go for “not for fait of heart ride”. EXP tire is Ok with consideration of my experience “if really stuck with EXP tires” I will avoid a few mud pits Steve has planned.

Steve offered some great advice and I will work on a few knobby swap options to more enjoy the agressive ride and mud pits!!!

I’ll meet up Friday night to catch up and Staurday morning for ride.

PS: Unrelated: Steve stressed interest so I though I share. I recently completred a 600 mile off road and trail Grand Canyon trip, mainly Strip District region. Made it to river in 3 different locations on GSA. I be more then happy to share information on routes, logistics and planning.

Safe Riding
    Ron
    GSA/09

PaulBach
    Spectator

Could you do a one hour seminar describing the route, adventure and just general show and tell for the faint of heart like myself who own a GS but will never use it for a Grand Canyon adventure?

All I can offer is a beer or two but would love to hear about the adventure.

Paul

ron scorese
    Spectator

beer works! I would be happy to share info on my Grand Canyon trip. I look forward to sharing with other adventure riders.

I keep digital pics, I’ll try and bring a laptop or print a few sheet pictures. Topo maps and routes I have printed as back up to my GPS.

I am planning on leaving NYC at 3:15pm Friday July 30, I will be returnign from London on Thursday so timing is tuff. I’ll ride to Williamstown motel and unload bags then head to event. Letme know what day time works, I’ll be at event and hopfully riding off road! If I can obtain knobby I’ll try out teh GS challange.

Safe Riding
    Ron
    GSA/09

lineman29
    Spectator

I’ll give and drink a few beers over that discussion as well.

ron scorese
    Spectator

I’ll have Guinness beer with me, always travel with 6 pack πŸ™‚ I’ll make it 12 pack for all. Looking forward to event, bummer my time is limited. I’ll have top plan better next year.

Ron
    GSA/09

PaulBach
    Spectator

[B]Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight![/B] MAX BMW is building one of the gnarliest GS courses to be found at any rally; the biggest, the best the most challenging. Included in this GS (Guts & Sinew) course are:
    [IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/PaulBach/RA%20Shots/05c6ad9c.jpg[/IMG]
    Sneak Preview from previously classified documents
    [B][LIST]
    [*]Yumps
    [*]Wood Pile
    [*]Small Mountains of Dirt
    [*]Tire Wind
    [*]Mud Pit
    [*]Sand Bar
    [IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/PaulBach/RA%20Shots/c2cf0a33.jpg[/IMG]
    [*][SIZE=”3″]The Teeter Totter[/SIZE]
    [/LIST][/B]

A few more “planks” will be added to the Teeter Totter but think of this:
    [INDENT][LIST]
    [*]ride up entry
    [*]stop in middle
    [*]ride down front slope
    [/LIST][/INDENT]

[B]Don’t bring a knife to a gunfight![/B]

lineman29
    Spectator

Looks like it’s gonna be fun.:hurray

PaulBach
    Spectator

I know MAX personally. He does not do things half way. By the time he is done this will be one of the best GS trials
    anytime
    anywhere

GS riders will be talking about it for years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.