fbpx

Do you service you own bike?

Home Forums General discussion Motorcycle Talk – General Topics Do you service you own bike?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  JACOBS KAREN 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

WREYFORD DONALD
    Participant

:)It is interesting that those of you who do your own maintenance, feel much as I (probably many others) that if we do it – it will be done correctly!! In my case it is both that and an economic issue.

sdpc2
    Participant

I do my own minor servicing and farkeling, as well as tire changes and balancing. If i had someone nearby who could watch over my shoulder and give a few tips, i would do more… but the valves are something that i don’t feel comfortable with yet.

BLALOCK BENTON
    Participant

I did it all on my ’05 LT and now on my ’09 LT. I’ll be doing the full 24,000 this weekend. I also install all my farkles. When I need extra help I go to a tech session in Myrtle Beach, SC. I have the Clymer and Paul Sayah’s vids for the LT.

Roy Jackson
    Participant

[QUOTE=sdpc2 »]I do my own minor servicing and farkeling, as well as tire changes and balancing. If i had someone nearby who could watch over my shoulder and give a few tips, i would do more… but the valves are something that i don’t feel comfortable with yet.[/QUOTE]

Try this site. [url]http://www.advrider.com/Wisdom/OVADv2.2.pdf[/url] Helped me a lot. First time I did mine, years ago, I must of adusted them 20 times to make sure I did not screw it up. Now I adjust, recheck and done. So easy, give it a try..good luck.

marchyman
    Participant

Yes, I service both my ’66 R69S and my ’05 GS. I was forced into this when I got the R69S almost 12 years ago… no-one else was going to do it 😉 When the GS went out of warranty there was no reason not to service it, too.

I do normal service and tire changes. On the R69S I can do everything that doesn’t require a machine shop except for transmissions. I don’t have the experience or tooling to feel comfortable digging into my transmission. I do have the experience (and tooling) for the R69S FD, though.

On the GS I’d likely stop at anything that requires me to open cases as I don’t have the needed tooling. I would feel comfortable pulling heads or cylinders and replacing seals, though.

The modern bikes are easier to maintain than the older (with the exception of the brakes). Plus I have to service the older bike 5 times as often.

Navy CWO
    Participant

I feel more secure knowing that everything has been done correctly so I do all maintenance, less transmission or engine overhaul, on my bikes (1991 R 100GS & 1967 BSA 441) as well as my wife’s Honda Rebel. My Dad taught me at an early age to work on Ford model A’s and B’s as that was his hobby and I never got away from “wrenching”. Also, as a young sailor I really couldn’t afford to pay someone to work on my bike. BTW, I also maintain my 1946 Ford 2N tractor as well!

RICHARD SANDERS
    Participant

[QUOTE=Radar41]Questions?

1. How many of you service the motorcycle(s) you ride??

2. What level of maintenance are you comfortable with??

[/QUOTE]

Yes to oil/filter changes, valve adjustments, most minor maintenance, mount and balance tires, brakes, etc.

KENT DONALD
    Participant

I have owned 2 BMWs, the first was a 2001 R1200C and I learned how to do all of the routine maintenance from this site: [url]http://www.pokiespages.com/pokie/index.htm[/url]. I did
    all of the routine maintenance, but didn’t do any tire changes as part of that. My current BMW is the 2009 R1200RT and I just did most of the 12,000 mile regular service work myself, I didn’t do the valve adjustment, but will be doing that the next time myself. I found Jim Von Baden’s video very helpful for this along with tech information from the RA and MOA websites. I recently purchased a GS 911 and was able to check the faults and reset the maintenance alerts myself and will be picking up a Twinmax so that I can do the valves and balance the carbs myself. I found that the most time consuming part of doing the routine maintenance on an RT is taking all the tupperware off and putting it back on, the rest of it is pretty straight forward and easy so far……………Don

Oaktree
    Participant

Cool – I just read the PDF, and it jives fairly well with my own experience. I’ve been wrenching my 2000 R1100R since about the 100k mark seven years ago. I do minor and major services, changed the clutch… some other stuff. I haven’t ventured into rebuilding engine / tranny / FD. Regarding the valve adjust PDF document – I do use a torque wrench to torque the 10mm keeper nut, and remeasure the valve clearance after torquing. I use a ‘slight’ drag feel on the gages – and strive to have the EXACT same drag on all of the valves. The better they’re all matched, the better the carb balancing goes… and she runs SO smooth. No dealer tech ever tuned my bike like I’m willing to do it. And, yes, they respond SO well to the RIGHT tuning. Taking your time and doing it well is a good investment. She will pay you back and then some.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.