Big Ear Brand Plugs

Home Forums General discussion Bike Gear and Farkles Big Ear Brand Plugs

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  COOK KENT 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

What bike, what radio, and how are you hooking in with the earphones?

Johnny_Boy
    Participant

Hi,
    The bike is an ’03 K1200LT, BMW radio & communications, standard plug for communications output.
    :confused:

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

I’ve spent a lot of time chasing down noise issues on older bikes. I would first try other earphones just to compare. If only the BigEar ones are noisy, then BigEar needs to tell you what’s wrong and how to fix it.

If all earphones are noisy, then the BMW dealer should have an idea. The main cause I encountered was the fuel pump, and by putting a capacitor across the fuel pump leads I cut out a lot of noise. However, that was RF noise that the CB was picking up; in your case it’s probably not an EMI issue but rather it’s just simple noise within the wiring of the bike. A whine that changes speed slightly when you apply throttle is likely the fuel pump, while a buzzing sound is usually from the ignition.

Johnny_Boy
    Participant

Hi All,

I just got a pair of BigEar ear plugs today. These are the fitted style with speakers in them. Has any other member tried these?

As soon as I plugged them into the bike, I was hearing engine noise…without the radio on. Turning on the radio cut some of the noise out but there was still a lot of background buzzzing. This is only in the garage, I’ve yet to try them on the road.

The bigear company representitive said “I need to have my “Harley” dealer add something to my radio.” But the problem is there before the radio is on. Jim at Nick’s BMW didn’t know of any quick fix.

If any one has tried these and had a simular problem or has an idea for a fix, please reply. These are a sizeable investment, which I would like to enjoy. I was sent the wrong cable…no mic attachment. So before I spend some more money on a return/exchange, I would like to get this problem fixed.

Thanks for your input and help.

Johnny_Boy
    :confused:

Paul_F
    Participant

With respect to your buzzing noise, I have two IPODS. The older one had a lot of buzzing while being used on the bike but the newer one did not. Hence I put it partially down to the hard drive on my older unit. Unfortunately my Big Ears do not block as much extraneous noise as do my regular disposable earplugs. That requires turning up the music volume to compensate for the wind noise, which in turns just compounds the riding noise problem. I haven’t used mine for a couple of years as they were never properly fitted to my ears, despite two molds being made. I would never recommend this company.

COOK KENT
    Participant

Most common cause is ground loop caused whenever the audio components are powered by the motorcycle’s electrical system. If you want to investigate to make sure of the source, use your new in-ear monitors on a battery powered music source (ipod, or smart phone); and get a cheap earbuds and try them on your motorcycle with the engine running. That should confirm if you have a ground loop issue. If so, you can buy or make an inline noise isolation device such as this one ([URL]http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/autocom-single-stereo-isolation-adapter.html[/URL]).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.