Best cruise/throttle control?

Home Forums General discussion Motorcycle Talk – General Topics Best cruise/throttle control?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  chewbacca 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

JerryB
    Participant

Any opinions on cruise/throttle controls?

lkchris
    Participant

Tell us which bike you have

JerryB
    Participant

I have a 1990 R100GSPD with the stock heated grips. Years ago I found that the bar end ones wouldn’t work on the GS because of the heated grips.

marchyman
    Participant

They work, you just have to be careful. Loosen tension, turn on heated grips, wait until they get hot, then tighten tension.

However, does your R100 have the threaded opening for the throttle stop screw? If so then get this: [url]http://store.bobsbmw.com/product/throttle-stop-screw[/url]

JerryB
    Participant

Thanks but I have tried the throttle stop screw and various palm rockers and don’t care for either.
    I’ve been looking more online and to install the one I want (the “Breakaway” type) I will have to eliminate the heated grips and possibly the whole throttle assembly.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkirNlWpTHw[/url]

chewbacca
    Participant

Had a Breakaway on an FJR and Sprint ST, it was OK but definitely not perfect, you would have to adjust them every so often. Did NOT like the Throttlemeister at all. Triad those throttle clamp types several times without any success. Have both the palm rocker type and a Kaoko on my GS they give my a hand a break on long runs but unless you are on a slab they don’t cut it either. Only system I thought that has real potential costs $1000.

JerryB
    Participant

I’ve left my privacy settings wide open on Google and man are they getting to know me!
    One day not long ago they threw this video ad up in the side bar for a break away type cruise control. I watched the video and was intrigued by how it worked but didn’t note the brand as I wasn’t interested at the time. That video got me thinking…..

With that one you could fine tune your speed by turning the throttle, even with the flip lever engaged. But… what really intrigued me was when they turned the throttle (with the flip lever engaged) it made a clicking sound…… that gave me the impression it didn’t work on friction but rather had some kind of fine spring loaded ratcheting mechanism?

It’s going to be a pain but I’m going to do a search on my Google history and see if I can find where I clicked on that video.

JerryB
    Participant

I couldn’t find the link to that cruise control video in my Google search so I went to YouTube and although it’s not the same video, the Vista Cruise might be what I saw.
    I also stumbled on this one for $25 that looks interesting.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZCvZvIec_k[/url]

chewbacca
    Participant

If it was a Vista Cruise, save your time and money. There is a similar one called a NEP. The Go Cruise works on a similar principal but I’m never tried that exact one. Lots of guys like the Vista Cruise / NEP but they really depend on the bike. Never could get any of those to work consistently for a long period of time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.