This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bmwloco 12 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

bmwloco
    Participant

Be aware when you come to Asheville: it’s the highest cost of living in the state (and probably the entire South) . It’s also the lowest in wages. This is mostly attributable to The Grove Park Inn and Biltmore Estate, both who set wages in the area.

Some say it’s becoming like Vail, Aspen, Bozeman, Moab or other places in the US that are loved so much they’re turned into something else.

If you want to see some of Vox Humana in Asheville, check out:

[url]www.freakinasheville.com[/url]

[url]http://asheville.craigslist.org[/url]

Asheville is a town in transition.

alien
    Participant

Asheville is indeed a town in transition. I’ve been living here since 1989 and began visiting even earlier. I still consider it to be one of the best places in the southeast, and it remains a rider’s paradise.

Culturally, this town has stood apart from the rest of the Appalachians ever since the Vanderbilts and their entourage established it as an outpost for the trend settters of the Gilded Age. This is part of what makes it such a great place. Asheville is every bit as cosmopolitan as much larger cities.

My take on the current situation is that the same folks who helped make Florida what it is today have now turned their avarice toward this region and are trying to do for the mountains what they did for the everglades 😮

Growth has outpaced infrastrucure and the place is feeling almost a bit too busy. But I’m still tickled to be here and I still know plenty or places just a few miles from my front door where I can own the road.

I keep thinking a rainy summer followed by a hurricaine or two will slow the pace down a bit. Once a few McMansions slide down those steep mountain slopes on a wave of mud and rocks some of the developers might start to look elswhere. Yeah baby!!!

bmwloco
    Participant

Touche’.

You summed it up quite accurately and have a good grip on why Asheville is in peril.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.