Anti Noise Group Raises Ruckus Over Harley Riders

Home Forums General discussion Motorcycle Talk – General Topics Anti Noise Group Raises Ruckus Over Harley Riders

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  brewmeister 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

doggettbeemer
    Participant

Interesting article from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

[url]http://www.jsonline.com/business/79369242.html[/url]

womanridge

Reving your throttle in a parade on a Saturday afternoon is one thing. Blasting your pipes at midnight in a residentrial neighborhood is another.
    I put those morons in the same category as those idiots that have those bag thingy’s hanging from their pick-up trailer hitch.
    I’m sure their mothers are really proud of them.

Dutch
    Participant

Hey all; Back in the 80’s, we used to have a DOT head named Claybrooke. She was responsible for such things as the (im)famous “backwards” motorcycle that the DOT funded and then found that it couldn’t be ridden. We used to call the folks who sang her praises “caccoon people” becuase thay seemed to want to wrap themselves in a coccoon and hide.. It seems that they are back!! The artical complains about not only loud pipes (here they could have included just about any bike, rather then pick on Harley) but train whistles and such. While loud pipes are a pain in the… Uh…ear, they are far down on my list of things to worry about. It’s not the bikes, (All bike must meet tough anti-noise laws) but the attitude that the dealers seem to be selling. I went into a H-D dealer about a week ago to look at a used superglide sport. The bike I wanted to look at was very clean, very low miles and (best of all) cheap for a Harley. I thought It would be agreat addition to the garage until the dealer fired it up… Yikes!! That puppy was LOUD!! I asked the dealer if the stock pipes came with the bike and he just looked at me as though I has just offered to buy his mother… He questioned wether I had the proper “attitude” for a bike like that. Frankly, so did I…. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

marchyman
    Participant

[QUOTE=womanridge »]
    I put those morons in the same category as those idiots that have those bag thingy’s hanging from their pick-up trailer hitch.
    I’m sure their mothers are really proud of them.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh, what if they were a gift from mom? 😉

selyab
    Participant

Loud pipes are kind of like loud kids. They are especially irritating when they are not yours.

brewmeister
    Participant

I have a good solution,When (if) a leo pulls over a loud piped bike ,the leo puts a say 30 day TAG on his drivers licence to repair the noise problem and bring it in to ANY leo den.NO FINE WHATSOEVER,just if nothing is done his licence will show that and the guy will be pulled over again if a leo hears the guy again. This time with a SMALL fine and 30 days to fix it. Then the third strike on the same machine and your out ,take the bike off the road by pulling the plates and have NO registration for the bike untill its fixed and checked by a leo. But I don’t feel it”s necessary to fine the crap out of you for this type violation just get the bike off the road untill it’s fixed ,Done

Merlin III
    Participant

Sure there is abuse, but in no way do I want cops pulling over bikers on a probable cause fishing expedition because they think the bike may be “too loud”. If you want to pass maximum decibel registration fine, but unless every cop has a decibel meter in his cruiser and can make a legitimate case for a violation, he shouldn’t be pulling bikers over.

brewmeister
    Participant

That’s exactly what the wisconsin DNR does with ATV’s and they each carry a meter and have a set distance and angle they hold the meter from the tailpipe to measure the sound. I had it done several times. We(I) am talking about the obvious loud cases and there would’nt be any fine anyways,just a get it fixed order with a time limit with 3 strikes and then the registration gets pulled. Hay ,leave it stock as is and it IS quiet or else get your arsch (bike) off the road. If you do, you don’t have anything to worry about anyways.Keep your excuses,loud pipes suck for ALL of us motorcyclists! It’s always the few that screw it up for the rest of us.They don’t do a thing for performance and if you believe that then you have drank the coolaid on loud pipes.

Merlin III
    Participant

brew
    All I am saying is that too many bikers get stopped for no valid reason. We have “road checks” for bikes only in my State, where the police make every biker pull over for a “fishing expedition” exercise. The way I see it, the best way to deal with it is to have decibel readings part of the MC yearly inspection process, that is if your State has an inspection process. Other than that, if someone is riding with no muffler, fine, pull them over. I personally hate the excessive noise some bikes make, but I dislike “fishing expeditions” even more.

brewmeister
    Participant

Yes we do’nt have check points here in wisconsin,only a great few because its safty month or something like that.I see no valid argument for (mostly) Harley guys putting loud pipes (the look at me crowd)on there bikes as being a valid thing to do for any reason. That’s what I,m concerned with,not check points ,which is what I thought this thread was about ? LOUD PIPES
    Not check points.
    Still if you’re going down the road legal you should not have anything to worry about. If you do’nt like check points you need to get POLITICALLY involved with your local polititions (not here on the web).Regardless ,loud pipes hurt all motorcyclists .

Merlin III
    Participant

[QUOTE=brewmeister »]Yes we do’nt have check points here in wisconsin,only a great few because its safty month or something like that.I see no valid argument for (mostly) Harley guys putting loud pipes (the look at me crowd)on there bikes as being a valid thing to do for any reason. That’s what I,m concerned with,not check points ,which is what I thought this thread was about ? LOUD PIPES
    Not check points.
    Still if you’re going down the road legal you should not have anything to worry about. If you do’nt like check points you need to get POLITICALLY involved with your local polititions (not here on the web).Regardless ,loud pipes hurt all motorcyclists .[/QUOTE]

I don’t think it is your place to tell me what I can or cannot say in a post. Loud Pipes and the enforcement of the loud pipe laws is a legitimate subject of discussion in this thread. The legality of the methods of enforcement of the loud pipes laws is a hot topic nationally.

I am curious where you got your information that all police officers carry decibel meters? I did a search of the Wisconsin statutes and I see nothing in the law citing a maximum decibel level? Are you sure that ALL police vehicles have decibel meters in their vehicles??? They don’t here because of the “prohibitive cost” of doing so. Oh well, I’ll move on.

brewmeister
    Participant

Sir ,I am NOT telling you what to say in a thread only my dislike for LOUD PIPES .Harley people are the most apt to change out there stock pipes for aftermarket pipes more often and road check points are often political in nature cause of a law to be enforced or in the name of safty. If a person is riding legal, as he/she should be, then there should be no problem. Please carry on.Loud pipes or not.

As I said the wis.DNR does carry decibel meters with them not policeman, to be more clear.

Merlin III
    Participant

I’ll try one more time to make myself clear. The issue to me is not loud pipes. I do not like loud pipes or the people who have them. My concern is the method of enforcement. Having a police officer arbitrarily decide that your pipes are too loud may work if the rider has extremely loud pipes or no pipes at all, but what about all the area in between legal and maybe not legal. Unless there is a specific decibel level stated in the law and law enforcement has decibel meters, then enforcement is arbitrary and most likely will be thrown out of court like they have been here in Maine.

A much better approach is having a specified allowable decibel level and having it checked each year at inspection time. If the level is higher than the maximum allowed by law then no inspection sticker issued. If the rider is stopped by law enforcement and he has no inspection sticker then he is in violation of the law and will face the consequences.

The problem with not having a specified decibel limit is that what is loud to one person is not loud to another. For example, one of my neighbors has complained to me about the noise from my stock 1150GS. I am quite sure she, if given the opportunity, would call law enforcement and claim excessive noise from my GS. The courts here have recognized this and in some cases have thrown out summons on the basis that the law is too arbitrary. Because of this, the legislature has just re-written the law, as I understand it, to mandate that if a police officer gives a summons for loud pipes the offender is obligated to go to a motorcycle dealer who has a decibel meter and prove otherwise, then send the certification to law enforcement within a certain time period.

This new law, as I understand it, is also problematic, but certainly an improvement over the old one. I am still a little put off that it is the riders responsibility and expense to prove their innocence. Like I said earlier, if someone has cut off pipes or no baffles, there is no issue, but I do have a problem if those of us who are legal are harassed in an arbitrary fashion. Over and out.

brewmeister
    Participant

What I read there are doing in California is useing the DOT stamp put in the muffler by the manufacter that IS approved by the Dept. of Transportation for a set level of noise and if ,when pulled over and your missing this stamp or your PO had them changed before you bought the bike, then you ARE in violation of the law. If you think your STOCK pipes are to loud then the DOT needs to be imformed about this matter AT ONCE. A citizen can go political contacting his/her local government official/s to get LEO”S to back off. But when anyone lodges a complaint the LEO has his duty to check it out one way or the other. There are lots of over zelious LEO storys out there already,the power of the badge often can go to there head.Maybe don’t get out of bed in the morning?? HA Ha Ha!
    As for a bad neighbor”s that IS another thread indeed. LOUD PIPES STILL S%*K. carry on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.