fbpx

This topic contains 186 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  PaulBach 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 187 total)
  • Author

MTSweger
    Participant

[QUOTE=sweetpea »]Debbi and Gordan Boltz worked relentlessly at the RA rally last year in Canaan Valley. [/QUOTE]

Agreed. Having worked a few Registration shifts and the Black Eagle Shop at Houghton and Canaan Valley, I’m here to tell you that these fine folks (and other club leaders) work their a**es off to put on great events for the RA membership. One can gain a true appreciation of their collective efforts only by volunteering to help during a rally. Even then, I suspect that the “casual” volunteer sees only the tip of the iceberg. It still boggles the mind to witness how smoothly these events run on volunteer efforts, given the logistical complexities involved. :thumb

The way I see it, we can either sit here and P&M about the occasional glitches or step up and offer our assistance to help improve the rally experience for all, if only in some small way. Oh, and let’s not forget that sometimes the “glitches” are the best part of the adventure! 😎

-MTS

Mike Sweger
    2004 K1200GT
    Charlottesville, VA

nplenzick
    Participant

[QUOTE=MTSweger »]
    The way I see it, we can either sit here and P&M about the occasional glitches or step up and offer our assistance to help improve the rally experience for all, if only in some small way. Oh, and let’s not forget that sometimes the “glitches” are the best part of the adventure! 😎

-MTS

Mike Sweger
    2004 K1200GT
    Charlottesville, VA[/QUOTE]

I really don’t think people are P$M over this, instead what I’m seeing is frustration. Many people like my wife need to have their vacation dates in pretty soon and their frustrated that they have no dates for the RA rally because they want to attend. It’s really as simple as that. I think it is a testament as to how much some really want to attend this rally. But as every day goes by less and less people will be able to attend and the bottom line is with not enough people attending the RA could lose money by staging this rally.

CTYankee
    Participant

[QUOTE=parkec »]East of the Mississippi is good.

How about south of the Mason Dixon Line:)[/QUOTE]

East of the Mississippi is GREAT news, especially given that the MOA rally is in Oregon. I vote for NORTH of the Mason Dixon. How about VT or NH? That’d be righteous!

I agree – Sept or Oct would be killer.

FREDERICK CURTIS
    Participant

It will be a great rally! Only retirees and unemployed persons will be there.

PRETZL ANDREW
    Participant

1+ for North of the Mason Dixon line.

MARK FLANAGAN
    Participant

[QUOTE=mapman »]Someone had to drop the ball. It has to be very difficult to book a rally in a tourist area like the Catskills for the summer when we are within 6 months of the event. The booking of the event should have happened a year ago for 2010 and should be happening right now for 2011. To delay and you are at the mercy of every wedding,family reunion and craft show imaginable.

[B]I wish the RA would go back to a fall event and you might be able to book for Sept-Oct now[/B]. If they insist on summer rallies then more advanced planning is required. Personnally, I like the RA Rally better than the MOA, but options are limited when vacations have to be booked before rally dates are announced.

[B]I don’t think we should let the commitees off the hook for a lack of planning[/B]. We need te following years rally booked and announced at the Rally closing ceremony as Boise was handled a few years ago.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the Fall Rally idea

What are u gonna do? Fire them?

ackgs
    Participant

[QUOTE=MarkF »]What are u gonna do? Fire them?[/QUOTE]

No its a club, members will vote with their feet if they are disatisfied and not renew. With the two BMW organizations I have belonged to the rally and the magazines or club newsletters appear to be the most important reasons for memebership. For me it is mostly the club newsletters as I have not been able to attend any rallies so far. I really had no desire to attend the other clubs rally when I was a member there but had thought about the RA rallies in the past. That said I was hoping that this year the RA rally would not be an extension of the MOA rally and it might be somewhere I had the time to ride to. I like the idea of a fall rally too but time will tell I guess as to the location, dates, or even if.

DAVID REYNOLDS
    Participant

OK incase i missed it in 0tl……………………………………whenz the rally……………..i gotta have vacation request in this week

Roy Jackson
    Participant

I don’t mind south of the Mason-Dixie,except in July. Way to hot down there. In Sept. no problem. JMHO 😎

vetbmwrider
    Participant

[QUOTE=vetbmwrider »]I heard that the rally will be either the last weekend of July or the first weekend in Aug, I would guess the last weekend in July would be my pick.[/QUOTE]

take a hint…… in the northeast US. Great roads that all I can say for now.

MTSweger
    Participant

[QUOTE=nplenzick »]I really don’t think people are P$M over this, instead what I’m seeing is frustration. Many people like my wife need to have their vacation dates in pretty soon and their frustrated that they have no dates for the RA rally because they want to attend. It’s really as simple as that. I think it is a testament as to how much some really want to attend this rally. But as every day goes by less and less people will be able to attend and the bottom line is with not enough people attending the RA could lose money by staging this rally.[/QUOTE]

Point taken, nplenzick. I can certainly understand the frustration, as my own vacation plans for 2010 hinge on the “when and where” for this year’s RA rally.

So, can someone explain the [U]process[/U] that RA uses to select rally sites? (Assuming there [I]is[/I] a process.) What can we, as club members, do to help ensure that the rally dates/locations are locked down sooner next time around and for subsequent events? I’ve only been a member of RA for a couple years, but I’d be willing to help with any research or other actions required to find and reserve a suitable venue for future rallies. Does RA have a Rally Committee like the MOA? Are there specific regions defined for RA rallies? Are rally locations planned for the out years or does this club settle for a “shoot from the hip” approach each time? (NTTAWWT)

In any case, I think effective communication is key. Proper planning can improve the rally site selection process, but it’s understandable if such plans are not always optimized in a volunteer-run club. I have no idea if there is a defined process or what the existing timeline and decision points are. Site criteria? Undoubtedly, there are many factors to consider, which only underscores the importance of advanced planning. Of course, even the best laid plans can be derailed from time to time, such as when a contract negotiation falls through or is delayed due to some unforeseen circumstance. I suspect that’s what might have happened in this case….

-MTS

Mike Sweger
    2004 K1200GT
    Charlottesville, VA

KENNITH OSBORNE
    Participant

[QUOTE=CTYankee »]East of the Mississippi is GREAT news, especially given that the MOA rally is in Oregon. I vote for NORTH of the Mason Dixon. How about VT or NH? That’d be righteous!

I agree – Sept or Oct would be killer.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn’t late September or October in VT or NH be awfully cold for us normal people? I remember it being cold in Shelbyville, TN a few years ago.

Dutch
    Participant

Hey all; How ’bout Barber Motorsport park to coincide with the vintage days? THAT would be both way cool, and (temperature wise) a bit cooler then in July or so. I am all for a fall rally south of the Mason-Dixon. Someplace in the mountains would be nice as well. Just my 2 cents worth. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

OU812
    Participant

[QUOTE=doggettbeemer »]I’d really love the Ozarks! Haven’t been there since I’ve been a kid.:o[/QUOTE]

I have done a small Bash two years there. GREAT ROADS!;)

OU812
    Participant

I am with Rick^.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.