fbpx

This topic contains 186 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  PaulBach 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 187 total)
  • Author

vetbmwrider
    Participant

Sometime silence is the best policy in handling this problem. I know there is frustration when someone is scheduling their time off and wants to attend an event. The one thing that I have not read in these posting, did anyone contact the RA headquarters and ask when the possible dates of the rally? Because I know if you did contact the RA headquarters Debbi H. would have told the 2 dates that RA was looking at for holding the rally to help you with your scheduling. Because I have been in contact with other individuals that have contacted the RA headquarters because they want to know the dates of the rally to schedule their time off from work to attend this rally. If you real want the answer sometime it is best to go straight to the source to get the answer and not wait for someone to post it if that important to you. Sadly that we as a group had to wait for this information on rally, sometime things do happen that we have no control over and we have to adjust to the changes around us.

BMWGSRider
    Participant

Originally they were going to post the rally announcement in October. October rolls around and no location was disclosed. I kept calling Debbie on a regular basis… she kept coming up with a story. Each time I called, she kept saying call back in two weeks they will know than. When I called back in two weeks, I get told that they are almost done negotiating a deal and that they are making the final wrap up and will be heading back to the undisclosed location to wrap things up. At one point of time, I was told it would be in the Catskills area as they have been wanting to host a rally there for some time now and was given a time frame. Again, I would be told to call back in two weeks which I always did. About a month ago, I was told a different location other than the Catskills and told that time that the board had to review it and it would be approved that week. Its been over a month or so since I’ve called Debbie as its been very discouraging because at one point of time I was planning on attending. Since this whole mess has been happening, my plans have since changed. I decided for the heck of it to call Debbie to find out if they have a location or not to which I have been told yes they have and will be making an announcement here on the forums in the next couple days. She is now claiming its the last week in July and will be in the Southwest corner of Vermont. If there is a location and etc. for a rally, why couldn’t see give me the exact dates let alone state exactly where the rally will be held?

If they had problems getting contract and the deal to go through, why not confess up and tell the truth instead of stringing the whole deal along with some stories and etc.? The truth is better than not telling the truth. Why not confess up? Why not update people on the progress to where they can possibly understand what is happening or why something fell through. Why wait so long to make an announcement?

Its a shame on how poorly this situation has been handled. They sure need to get their act in gear or else they are going to have more unhappy/mad folks than they already have.

I doubt the attendance will be as good… I hope the actual rally itself isn’t poor planned as it has been on making an announcement of this years location. It sure has me wondering…

If anyone ends up attending, hope he/she has a nice time.

The RA needs to be better about getting their act in gear about announcing the 2011 location.

Because of this poor planning, I wonder if I will ever attend another RA Rally. I’ve attended many during childhood and in 2002 but will I in the future????????????????

Dutch
    Participant

Micheal: IF they had announced a date and place, and IF those plans fell through, (by the way, I assume that the word CONTRACT is involved here somehow) we would have been much more understanding. As it is, we haven’t heard word one from the national office. This has been going on since October! As far as contacting the RA offices Why should we HAVE to? They promised to keep us informed, they dropped the ball. AS far as silence sometimes being the best policy, I think that TWELVE pages of upset members puts that notion to rest, don’tyou agree? As I have stated before,the likelyhood of me attending this years rally is pretty slim, but will I attend in the future? Yes I will. I hope that folks learn from this experiance, and keep the line of comunications open in the future. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

vetbmwrider
    Participant

It sound like you had about the same information that I was given. The process to find a rally site can be time consuming and difficult. I will try to explain how it works.
    1. We blind fold someone and give him/her a dart and they throw it at a big map of North America. :wink
    2. We then go to talk with Charter Clubs, people that are members of the RA that live in that area, and go online to try to find locations.
    3. If they have a location we ask them to fill out a packet to see if this location will work. This gives us an idea of what the site has to offer.
    4. Someone from the RA from the rally committee will go out and look at this location and give it their blessing.
    5. Then if the site is good one the site will go in front of the trustees. To give their blessing on going into contract.
    6. Now the fun stuff begins. Determine the budget of the rally, what is needed to hold the rally. Negotiating the rally site, start work on the contract, etc…….. .
    7. Then all of this must be presented back to the trustees before the contract can even be signed. If they do like the budget or the contract information they can reject.
    8. If anyone has ever closed on a house that you just purchased sometime a contract between two parts can be very difficult and time consuming. Now imagine that with going into contract with another party in renting a location. If both parties agree to the contract it is signed.
    9. Now the RA can announce the location.
    10. Note at anytime in this process we can go back to step 1 until a contract is signed.
    Sometimes we forget that things do not happen overnight in this fast pace world. Sometimes the wheel works very slowly but we get there, this is just a very basic outlook at the some of the steps in finding a rally site.

DON WILLIAMS
    Participant

[QUOTE=vetbmwrider »]It sound like you had about the same information that I was given. The process to find a rally site can be time consuming and difficult. I will try to explain how it works.
    1. We blind fold someone and give him/her a dart and they throw it at a big map of North America. :wink
    2. We then go to talk with Charter Clubs, people that are members of the RA that live in that area, and go online to try to find locations.
    3. If they have a location we ask them to fill out a packet to see if this location will work. This gives us an idea of what the site has to offer.
    4. Someone from the RA from the rally committee will go out and look at this location and give it their blessing.
    5. Then if the site is good one the site will go in front of the trustees. To give their blessing on going into contract.
    6. Now the fun stuff begins. Determine the budget of the rally, what is needed to hold the rally. Negotiating the rally site, start work on the contract, etc…….. .
    7. Then all of this must be presented back to the trustees before the contract can even be signed. If they do like the budget or the contract information they can reject.
    8. If anyone has ever closed on a house that you just purchased sometime a contract between two parts can be very difficult and time consuming. Now imagine that with going into contract with another party in renting a location. If both parties agree to the contract it is signed.
    9. Now the RA can announce the location.
    10. Note at anytime in this process we can go back to step 1 until a contract is signed.
    Sometimes we forget that things do not happen overnight in this fast pace world. Sometimes the wheel works very slowly but we get there, this is just a very basic outlook at the some of the steps in finding a rally site.[/QUOTE]

OK, this is the process RA uses and it probably similar to the process most clubs use for a National Rally. The problem that I haven’t heard an answer to is why RA is the only club I know of that can’t get the negotiations done a year in advance.

If RA doesn’t recognize this as a problem we are doomed to repeat this next year. A lot of people are not going to attend this year because of delays announcing date/location. What is RA doing to prevent the problem in 2011? Besides member attendance I’m sure this adds to the problem with vendor participation.

As I’ve said before I like RA Rallies better than MOA so I’m not questioning you to just argue, I would like to see improvements.

vetbmwrider
    Participant

[QUOTE=mapman »]OK, this is the process RA uses and it probably similar to the process most clubs use for a National Rally. The problem that I haven’t heard an answer to is why RA is the only club I know of that can’t get the negotiations done a year in advance.

If RA doesn’t recognize this as a problem we are doomed to repeat this next year. A lot of people are not going to attend this year because of delays announcing date/location. What is RA doing to prevent the problem in 2011? Besides member attendance I’m sure this adds to the problem with vendor participation.

As I’ve said before I like RA Rallies better than MOA so I’m not questioning you to just argue, I would like to see improvements.[/QUOTE]

All I can say is that the RA is trying do it best job in putting on a rally this summer. I can list other organization that also had a hard time finding rally sites but there is no point in listing them. The RA in July had 2 rally locations in the northeast. One was the first choice and the second site was the back up. Now it turned that both sites did not work out in October. I agree this put the RA behind the eight ball in trying to find locations. As it turned we did find a great location in the middle of November. Now by the time the RA went out to looked at this location and notifying the trustees and working on the contract I think everyone has done the best job out there.
    Does the RA recognize that this year there were problems up until now so your answer is yes. So let’s not get ahead of the game and worry about 2011 rally because were not doomed. Let’s focus on having a great time at this upcoming rally. In the next couple of days there should be announcement of the location, the exact dates of the rally and more.

Michael Johnston
    Chartered Club Coordinator

MARK FLANAGAN
    Participant

For the record I’m not upset. If it’s somewhere I want to go and at a time I can get off from work I will attend. If not I will go elsewhere. I appreciate all the hard work Debbie and crew does. More communication and fall dates would be better but lack of either no longer upsets me. Nobody is making a salary doing this stuff. Thanks.

DOGGETT MARK
    Participant

Okay everybody! We’re all excited to have an RA rally to look forward to this year. We’ll know specifics about it in a couple of days (so we’ve been promised). Really too bad that some will miss the rally. The RA is quite a different experience from the MOA national. Much more laid back. When we have the info, we’ll need great volunteers to help make it a success. S—t happens! Hopefully!!!! A site is in the works for 2011 and the contract negotiations will be in the works and completed by the time this rally takes place. As past president and organizer of many events I’ve learned – [B]delegate to those you trust – when you give them the power – let them run with it. They will not let you down and you can take care of the bigger issues[/B]. I’m thinking those in charge at the RA are spread too thin.

PaulZ
    Participant

I am looking forward to the announcement, and attending the 2010 rally. My first was last summer in WV … which was fantastic.

DaveH
    Participant

On the Home Page, in regards to the Rally, it states”. Details are being posted to the rally page as they develop”, but nothing has been posted to the rally page since that statement went up. I really hope that does not mean that no more details are available!
    (I’m working very hard to get my vacation time from work revised so I can go)

PaulBach
    Participant

This rally will be a great opportunity to ride the best of three states. To that end I have posted [B]76[/B] pages of text or 22,455 words under attractions; at least that is what my word processor tells me. And, there is more to come.

[LIST]
    [*]There will be lots of showers.
    [*]There will be plenty of sanitary facilities.
    [*]There will be bands.
    [*]There will be FREE early camping.
    [/LIST]
    We [B]will [/B]have a great time.

PaulBach
    Participant

Three bands have been booked and one of the vendors is providing a German umpah band – on their nickel. The BOD is meeting tomorrow (4/17/2010) and more detailed information will be provided.

This promises to be the premier mountain rally anyplace this year. :thumb

Enfoman
    Participant

Good Evening to all who plan to be at the rally!

I am the Assistant to the Rallymister, Paul and I guess because I wasn’t doing enough or if I just say yes alot,:banghead I have been blessed and anoited to be the Volunteer coordinator for the rally. :hurray So, to Everyone who wants to step up and help out, I will be the go to man!!

I have set up an E-mail account for startup and planning correspondence at…………… [email]RA_GATEWAY10@yahoo.com[/email] So, drop a line, tell me some of your many talents and wishes for assisting this years to remember event and we can get a rolling.

MIME- (motorcycle in motion and enjoyment)

Bob

PaulBach
    Participant

If everyone volunteers to do a little – a couple of hours, no one will have to do a lot. Bob, Enfoman, has already worked many hours on the rally and will now be invaluable in this role but he can use your help.

Please give Bob a hand, not the finger. :yesnod

cousi
    Participant

Rumor has it that it’s going to be really, reeeeeally close to a race track.
    This will my first RA Rally, is there an on-line sign up for volunteering?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.