fbpx

2007 BMW RA Rally Announcement!

This topic contains 31 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  ANTON LARGIADER 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

scbmwrider
    Participant

[QUOTE=Pillion »][URL=”http://www.smokeymountainrides.com/rides.html”]More curvy roads around here than you can shake a stick at.[/URL]

[IMG]http://www.i-bmw.com/gallery/data/558/medium/US74a.JPG[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Great pic 276???

c_liner
    Participant

Looks more like route US74 Alt between Asheville and Lake lure.

scbmwrider
    Participant

[QUOTE=c_liner »]Looks more like route US74 Alt between Asheville and Lake lure.[/QUOTE]

I think it’s close to Caesars Head on 276 could be 74….oh such problems to have…..so many roads so little time 😀

Pillion
    Participant

[QUOTE=scbmwrider »]Great pic 276???[/quote]
    US 74A between Bat Cave & Fairview, just above Gerton, up the road from Chimney Rock.

scbmwrider
    Participant

[QUOTE=Pillion »]US 74A between Bat Cave & Fairview, just above Gerton, up the road from Chimney Rock.[/QUOTE]

Give C-Liner the prize. The last time we were on that part of 74 we followed a semi and about 80 cars 🙁 NOT FUN!

Great road though

bmwloco
    Participant

O.k… I’m local. I’ve owned 31 BMWs, I’m down to two, and the RA Rally is going to be in my backyard. I’m also a dedicated Airhead.

First thing: the Wing Rally ended in Asheville because of two things: 1) Gold Wings clogged the roads of Downtown Asheville 2) Wing Riders are cheap. They bought nothing and took up all the parking spaces.

As a result, the City Council and Mayor said “hey, if it goes to Tennessee, fine”. Good riddance. If I want to see chubby people on big motorcycles with stuffed toy animals lashed on, I’ll go to a Wing Rally.

Things you should know before you come:

1) Asheville used to be pretty cool. Now it’s full of “Money from Other Places”. Like Boulder, Moab, Bozeman and other good places, it’s in the process of being “loved to death”.

2) Take no notice of the mountains that have been cleared to build McMansions.

3) I-26, the Interstate running roughly north and south, is deadly. There is no run off room, traffic moves fast, uniform, and over badly worn roadway and the lanes are narrow. Expect heavy traffic between Asheville and Hendersonville. Be particularly careful if heading into town on I-240. The West Asheville Bridge is the only way to transition through Asheville heading North or South. It requires a 4 lane lane change into one single lane and a hard left hand turn. Locals fly. Those that do not know slow down, and then it gets really fun.

4) Expect to see dirty clothed hippies in the same place you see wretched American excess and trendy bars/galleries/clothing. The people that made Asheville the interesting and eclectic place it was are being “disappeared” by people with lots of money. Condos downtown start at $300,000. Be sure to not park where Escalades and Hummers can’t turn “right”. Your bike may well be hit.

5) There are good bars. Most are not on the main drag of town.

I’ll add more later. Ask any question. I’ll shoot straight.

ANTON LARGIADER
    Participant

[QUOTE=bmwloco »]Asheville used to be pretty cool. Now it’s full of “Money from Other Places”. Like Boulder, Moab, Bozeman and other good places, it’s in the process of being “loved to death”. [/quote]
    …and Charlottesville…
    [quote]Take no notice of the mountains that have been cleared to build McMansions. [/quote]
    Talking about up around Woodfin and north of there? Yeah.

I don’t find I-26 to be so bad (as interstates go). The worst in the area seems to be I-40, and the pavement really sucks westbound between Hickory and Statesville. I came home yesterday on I-26, heading north, and it was a great drive. Pavement seemed fine to me. Don’t know much about the southern part, though.

scbmwrider
    Participant

[QUOTE=AntonLargiader »]…I came home yesterday on I-26, heading north, and it was a great drive. Pavement seemed fine to me. Don’t know much about the southern part, though.[/QUOTE]

The pavement on I 26 between Hendersonville and Asheville really sucks. And the traffic is also kind of heavy.

North of Asheville it’s a fairly new road.

Can’t wait for spring to recon the good roads around the area.:D

bmwloco
    Participant

You should see it now. The roads north of Asheville are devoid of vegetation. The MacMansions are naked. It’s ugly.

scbmwrider
    Participant

[QUOTE=bmwloco »]You should see it now. The roads north of Asheville are devoid of vegetation. The MacMansions are naked. It’s ugly.[/QUOTE]

That’s one of the reasons that we tend to keep south-west of Asheville. As long as you spend as little time on 64 and the Davidson river side of 276 as possible in RV season very nice roads!

bmwloco
    Participant

This was posted on the WNC Riders list mail board. If you’re coming to the BMW RA Rally, ride and be aware!

Posted by TN Highway Patrol Officer Cagle on his myspace page

“EVERYONE WHO GOES TO DEALS GAP——PLEASE READ THIS—–I’M TRYING TO HELP YOU ALL OUT”

“Hey, just to give you a heads up for next season. We have a new
    captain in the Knoxville District which covers Blount County. He has already told us that we will put a stop to the “race track driving” up on the dragon this year. So far what they have said is that the speed limit is 30mph and “ANYONE” caught going 50mph and up will be charged with reckless driving and will be jailed and their bike/car will be impounded

I am telling you this because i am trying to put the word out to everyone I
    know, or to people who know people that go up there. I don’t want to
    have to take people to jail for this, however I have bills to pay and I kind of like having a job, so never the less I have to do what i am told to do. So the way i see it is that.

If killboy.com knows and you know and dealsgap.com knows and whoever
    else can find out can pass this along, it will benefit
    everybody. Feel free to copy and pass this to let everyone
    know. If you get caught up there it is only your fault
    because i am trying to pass the word along for everybody’s sake.

We are not just going to come up from the bottom like in years
    past. They are gonna have us go through Cherohala Skyway in North
    Carolina and come from the top down to the bottom, so no more
    free rides on your way back to the state line.

They are gonna bring unmarked cars with radio’s and have unmarked bikes up there. This will be a joint effort with Blount County and the
    Tennessee Highway Patrol.

The entire THP motor unit will be brought in 2 people at a
    time(for a week long assignment) to be paired up with the local
    car. They plan on busting tail at least 3-4 times right off the
    bat, then they will sit back and see what takes place. These orders
    came from Nashville Headquarters.

We have a complete brand new higher ranking structure from the very tip top spot down. They have said we will work until the problem is solved just
    wanted to give you and your friends a heads up

SIGNED

Trooper Cagle with THP assigned to Blount County Division
    (don’t come crying to me if you get busted—-cause I’m telling you now)

So… watch your tail if your riding Deals Gap or the immediate area. The Blue Ridge Parkway is also a 45 mph only zone. The Porsche Club came up a couple years ago and really showed their asses. With that, the National Park Service said enough is enough. If you’re stopped for speeding, it’s $500. Second time, $1000. You’ll stand before a Federal Judge too.

No fun, so if you want to hoon around, don’t go to the expected places.

Ride safe, ride far,

Dean aka BMWloco 😎

gigantor
    Participant

Hey,

Do we have any intel on the camping facilities? My biggest question would be centered around [B]shade [/B]- is there any? 😎

Will there be any indoor [B]showers [/B]and [B]bathrooms [/B]or will it all be trucked in? 😀

I’m really looking forward to this rally. Ok, sure, it’s single digits here in NY and my electric heating isn’t working so I’ve been grounded for two weeks as I try and sort it out. But I think it’s more than that. I had a pretty good time at Shelbyville. I didn’t have as good a time in Vermont last year but that was prolly my fault – spent too much time volunteering w/ Bob & Naomi w/ the vintage bikes. Anyway, time to start dreaming.

dalemyersmacon
    Participant

New Member here and a big hello to all who love to move about on two wheels!
    I am looking forawad to the Rally at the Biltmore. This shoud be a great event! I’ve been many times and have always enjoyed my visits. So, see you in June!
    Dale in Macon, Ga.

bmwloco
    Participant

I found out the post I put up by the “TN Trooper” is bogus.

Sorry.

But the ‘jest of it is real. Speeding on the Parkway or anywhere near Deals Gap is a bad idea.

Have a good time, enjoy the roads, and try your best not to get hit by the many denizens of Asheville who have recently moved here and brought their “we do it this way at home” driving skills with them.

In other words, ride like everyone wants to kill you and you’ll have a good time.

KENNITH OSBORNE
    Participant

[QUOTE=bmwloco »]In other words, ride like everyone wants to kill you and you’ll have a good time.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Ride paranoid as I have for 40+ years. Keep in mind that Asheville has attracted many retirees who don’t see as well, can’t judge distance as well as they could when younger and aren’t used to the large number of motorcycles.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.