Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Pics and Comments on New R1200RT

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
chewbacca
chewbacca's picture
Pics and Comments on New R1200RT

As usual the latest OTL was great; however, comparing an R1200RT and FJR1300 is in my opinion not a valid comparison.  BMW left a void in its product line when it dropped the K1300GT and came out with the K1600.  The K1300, C14, FJR1300, Blackbird were the class high speed sports touring machines.  IMO, and a lot of others, neither the RT or K1600 fall into that class.

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE getting there!

ponch
ponch's picture
Re: Pics and Comments on New R1200RT

chewbacca wrote:
As usual the latest OTL was great; however, comparing an R1200RT and FJR1300 is in my opinion not a valid comparison.  BMW left a void in its product line when it dropped the K1300GT and came out with the K1600.  The K1300, C14, FJR1300, Blackbird were the class high speed sports touring machines.  IMO, and a lot of others, neither the RT or K1600 fall into that class.

The K1600GT isn't far off. The C14 and FJR aren't lightweights like the RT. That said, I hear what you are saying. For me, those bikes are too sporty and tight in ergos for me, hence the RT with bar risers and peg lowering kit. Unfortunately, the new RT seems to be a little more compact in ergos and the handlebars aren't adjustable. Frown . It seems like a great bike and I bet they'll sell a bunch. For now, I'll keep my RT until something better fits my ergonomic and financial requirements. 

2009 R1200RT
Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2
chewbacca
chewbacca's picture

Hi Ponch,

Didn't want to say that the RT wasn't a great bike.  I think it is.  The FJR is a great bike too, but they, IMO, are not in the same category.  For ME, my GS is the best bike on the planet for how I ride twisties.  I would love to have an RT as a second bike.  Whenever I want to go for a long trip, and get there in a hurry, I always think about my 06 FJR.  Passing cars was, think where you want to be and then you were there.  Just trying to say bikes and people have different personalities with an FJR being Country and Western, and an RT being Classic Rock.  LOL

Rod

ponch
ponch's picture

chewbacca wrote:
Hi Ponch, Didn't want to say that the RT wasn't a great bike.  I think it is.  The FJR is a great bike too, but they, IMO, are not in the same category.  For ME, my GS is the best bike on the planet for how I ride twisties.  I would love to have an RT as a second bike.  Whenever I want to go for a long trip, and get there in a hurry, I always think about my 06 FJR.  Passing cars was, think where you want to be and then you were there.  Just trying to say bikes and people have different personalities with an FJR being Country and Western, and an RT being Classic Rock.  LOL Rod

It's in the same general category, sport touring, but the FJR emphasis is sport, RT touring. I think the new one closes the gap a bit. May be the best of all worlds is a Multistrada grantourismo or whatever it's called. Lighter than a GS, rational ergos and 150hp. The problem with Ducatis is that we need a PhD is engineering to adust the valves, which means a costly service. I wish I could fit comfortably on an FJR or C14. I might have one instead of the RT. I will say that my first choice was a GSA. My wife said she'd never ride on a dirt bike, so i got the RT. I can count on two hands how many times she's ridden on the RT in over 3 years. Oh well. 

2009 R1200RT
Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2
chewbacca
chewbacca's picture

Hey Ponch,

If you aren't into the high speed thing or a die hard Iron Butt'er, which I'm not, the RT is hard to beat.  I still ride with FJR and C14 drivers quite a bit.  Funny thing is that the "dirt bike"  will progressively start walking away from them when you ride twisties.  Up until the GS there was always some other bike that I thought was the end all, be all.  I'm happy now.

Rod

Just an asside, a guy on a GSA and I went riding with the fast group last spring during a BMW club outing.  The two other bikes there were S1000RR's which, silly me thought were beat up Ninja's of some kind.  These guys were flying, although I'm sure they were not running flat out.  The dirt bikes had no trouble running with them, especially in the turns.  I guess my point is that the raw horsepower of something like a Multistrada or even C14/FJR doesn't get used in the real world as much as one might think.

ponch
ponch's picture

chewbacca wrote:
Hey Ponch, If you aren't into the high speed thing or a die hard Iron Butt'er, which I'm not, the RT is hard to beat.  I still ride with FJR and C14 drivers quite a bit.  Funny thing is that the "dirt bike"  will progressively start walking away from them when you ride twisties.  Up until the GS there was always some other bike that I thought was the end all, be all.  I'm happy now. Rod Just an asside, a guy on a GSA and I went riding with the fast group last spring during a BMW club outing.  The two other bikes there were S1000RR's which, silly me thought were beat up Ninja's of some kind.  These guys were flying, although I'm sure they were not running flat out.  The dirt bikes had no trouble running with them, especially in the turns.  I guess my point is that the raw horsepower of something like a Multistrada or even C14/FJR doesn't get used in the real world as much as one might think.

Well, until I make more money, I'll be riding the RT for awhile. That's not so bad. 

2009 R1200RT
AZgman
AZgman's picture

I think the new RT looks better in person than it does in pictures. They did a nice job with it. My "old technology" 2007 RT still delivers the goods; it is good at just about everything and has been a reliable ride, so it is hard for me to justify getting a new one.  That said, I still would want one!

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

ponch
ponch's picture

AZgman wrote:
I think the new RT looks better in person than it does in pictures. They did a nice job with it. My "old technology" 2007 RT still delivers the goods; it is good at just about everything and has been a reliable ride, so it is hard for me to justify getting a new one.  That said, I still would want one!

Of course it's nice to have something new and cutting edge. Just can't do it now, even if I wanted to. Sometimes I wonder about some folk that seem to change bikes like underwear or have a stable of 4 or 5 bikes. May be it's just that the demographics of BMW riders tends to be different. I am definitely an outlier. May be I'll get another close up when my bike goes in for the fuel pump flange dealio. I didn't sit on the new RT at the show as to not violate Don Eilenberger's second axiom: Don't sit on or test ride a bike you don't intend to buy or something like that. 

2009 R1200RT
kocook
kocook's picture

Most modern motorcycles have sufficient quality suspension, brakes, acceleration, and cornering clearance (cruisers are usually exceptions) to make differentiation on the street more of rider skill / willingness to take risk issue than short-comings of the machine.  Of course, given riders of equal willingness and skills to take it to the edge; a hot rod like the S1000RR will make a significant difference vs. non-race replicas.  But among mature riders with an aggressive streak, the K1600GT and GS can easily match the sport touring offerings from any other manufactuer.  I consider both better handlers than the K1300GT.

Kent
R1200RS Wasserboxer

Join the BMW Riders Association