Main Megamenu

  • OTL Magazine
  • The Club

    View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

    News of the RA World

    What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

     

    You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

    Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

    Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

    Membership Has Its Benefits

    And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

    Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

    Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

    Stay
  • RA Community

    View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

    Rallies and Events

    Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

    Local Chartered Clubs

    The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

    RA Regions Program

    RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

    Classified Ads

    Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

    The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

    The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

    Selected BMW Links

    Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

    Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

gastank photo with nazi swastika and palm tree?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
NCRider
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 2013-02-25 00:00
gastank photo with nazi swastika and palm tree?

A friend who was visiting was browsing the new OTL and pointed out a photograph where a gastank had a swastika in the middle of a palm tree. Needless to say we had a lively conversation with our non-BMW mc riding buddies. Wtf were you thinking? Is the majority of the membership in agreement with what the "symbol" signifies? I may have to reconsider my support for the RA. I'm hoping there's a good explanation and I'm over-reacting. So?

<p></p>

Edited by: NCRider on 2013-12-25 04:57
Emoto
Emoto's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 2005-06-24 00:00

Was it a restored WWII-era bike with Afrika Corps(sp?) markings? Would that not be historically accurate?

chewbacca
chewbacca's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 2013-02-26 00:00

I tried finding the pic in question, what issue??? Never mind, I found it. In any event BMW, a company that produced motorcycles in Germany built motorcycles for its country's military. I have seen several articles on the motorcycles built for the German military in WWII. There are collectors of motorcycles, medals, uniforms, etc from that period. They do have the swastika on lots of them. They would not be authentic if they did not. Those collections do NOT imply that the collector was a Nazi nor do they imply that the collector supported the beliefs of the Nazis. The emblem you mentioned was that of the Africa Corps, that's all. That's the explanation and in my opinion it is over-reacting. After seeing the pic in context, I'm certain this is a tempest in a teapot.

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE getting there!

NCRider
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 2013-02-25 00:00

I think at the least its in poor taste. Forget the fact that the image, let alone the bike, may be illegal in Germany and other countries. The purpose of the photo was to point out that the bike the image is on shared much with a KS750. The pic does nothing to show that fact as it clarly focuses on the swastika. I was pretty surprised when it was pointed out by my friends, in a very unflattering way to the Marquis, and had nothing to say in reply as I hadn't read the mag yet.

I'm sure some think I'm hypersensitive about this. Don't mean to be. Maybe if it was a historical reference with some background info but it wasn't. So what was the focus then?

Emoto
Emoto's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 2005-06-24 00:00

NCRider » wrote:
I think at the least its in poor taste. Forget the fact that the image, let alone the bike, may be illegal in Germany and other countries. The purpose of the photo was to point out that the bike the image is on shared much with a KS750. The pic does nothing to show that fact as it clarly focuses on the swastika. I was pretty surprised when it was pointed out by my friends, in a very unflattering way to the Marquis, and had nothing to say in reply as I hadn't read the mag yet.

I'm sure some think I'm hypersensitive about this. Don't mean to be. Maybe if it was a historical reference with some background info but it wasn't. So what was the focus then?

You really need to furnish a link to the picture or a precise description of where to find it. You're asking us to debate the merits of something we have not seen an asking us if this unseen image means anything. This is like asking us to review a movie we've never seen, or a book we haven't read. Kind of unfair, don't you think? Are you an RA member?

NCRider
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 9 months ago
Joined: 2013-02-25 00:00

Sorry emoto yes I'm an ra member, about a year. Its on pg 23 of the Nov/ Dec issue. Not trying to start anything. Usually refrain from posting much, here or elsewhere but it surprised me, especially with no background. I had to go google a little research. I guess that's a positive.

Anyway ive said my piece. Feel free to debate the merit of the photo or my post if it adds any value to the community.

On a positive note I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas or at least Happy Holidays and get to ride many new roads in 2014.

Emoto
Emoto's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 2005-06-24 00:00

NCRider » wrote:
Sorry emoto yes I'm an ra member, about a year. Its on pg 23 of the Nov/ Dec issue. Not trying to start anything. Usually refrain from posting much, here or elsewhere but it surprised me, especially with no background. I had to go google a little research. I guess that's a positive.

Anyway ive said my piece. Feel free to debate the merit of the photo or my post if it adds any value to the community.

On a positive note I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas or at least Happy Holidays and get to ride many new roads in 2014.

Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can find it. Smile

Forgive me, but you did know that sometimes people restore vehicles so that they are historically accurate right down to the last little detail, right?

Emoto
Emoto's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 2005-06-24 00:00

Apparently, I have already recycled that issue. Can you scan and post it?

Was it like this one? I took this shot at the 2007 MOA rally in Wisconsin. I think it is a WWII bike.

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 1998-09-26 00:00

I saw the photo in question. Looks like a restoration to me. I don't see the big deal.

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

 

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 1998-09-26 00:00

Saw this on the MOA facebook page today. Not related to the above discussion.

Attachments: 

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

 

Emoto
Emoto's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 2005-06-24 00:00

My OTL magazine just arrived today and it was the one the OP was talking about. (I had thought I already recycled it, but was mistaken).

The image was clearly labeled that it was a restoration of a WWII Wehrmacht bike. Why was this an issue? Did the OP and his friends not understand which side Germany was on in WWII or how they marked their vehicles, or did not understand what "restoration" means? Frankly, it is insulting to be asked the questions that the OP posed.

chewbacca
chewbacca's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 2013-02-26 00:00

Emoto » wrote:
My OTL magazine just arrived today and it was the one the OP was talking about. (I had thought I already recycled it, but was mistaken).

The image was clearly labeled that it was a restoration of a WWII Wehrmacht bike. Why was this an issue? Did the OP and his friends not understand which side Germany was on in WWII or how they marked their vehicles, or did not understand what "restoration" means? Frankly, it is insulting to be asked the questions that the OP posed.


Thumbsup XACTLY!!!

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE getting there!

Join the BMW Riders Association