Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

R100 Rear Wheel Off Center

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bruce Carlton
R100 Rear Wheel Off Center

My R100 rear wheel is off center from fender and can not figure out how to get it centered.  Swingarm is lined up properly and wheel is up close to rear drive housing.  Can not see a way to move wheel to the right.  Had bike towed once and can only think that the frame was bent when securing on flatbed tow truck?  Any suggestions welcome?  Look at pictures.

kocook
kocook's picture
Re: R100 Rear Wheel Off Center

As I remember, they were off center.  My 1977 R100RS with Lester wheels was off center.  Don't remember if the 1976 one with wire wheels was or not--didn't have that one for very long.  I know the rear on the race bikes were off center so that the fatter rear slick would fit past the swing arm.  If I come across a R100 at the local BMW shop, will have a look.  They sell a lot of older BMWs and usually have a few around.

Kent
R1200RS Wasserboxer

Bruce Carlton

Thanks for reply.  I have had a number of these bikes and never noticed this before.  Maybe in my old age I'm paying more attention.  I do have the fatest tire available for this model.  Someone thought if I had a narrow tire on bike it would not be noticeable.  Do not want to go there but that does make a little sense.

kioolt

It may not be your wheel that is off center.  Have you considered that your fender may be off center?

2004 R1150RT 177,400 miles

1991 K100LT 128,700 miles

1982 R100RT 106,900 miles

Total 413,000 BMW miles

AMA, BMWRA, BMWMOA, BMWBMW, OILHEAD

Bruce Carlton

It is not the fender.  Have tried a spare.

Lowndes
Lowndes's picture

I've heard that several older models came that way from the factory.  My brother's '76 RT is that way.  There is even a spacer avaiable to move the hub over to accommodate a wider rear tire, too.  

A very good way to check the alignment is to put the bike on the centerstand and sight along the edge of the rear tire to the front tire.  The front tire is most often narrower so you have to split the difference to get an accurate read.  Chain drive bikes need to be aligned this way when adjusting the chain, mostly because of obsessiveness (which beemer drivers are VERY good at), and maybe chain life.  Belt (Gilmer) drive shives must be properly aligned.

My experience is that any misalignment, unless extreme, is impossible to even notice under normal, even "spirited sport" riding.  

Lowndes

Join the BMW Riders Association