Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Complaints from Veterans

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
vetbmwrider
Complaints from Veterans

Finally arrived home, the rally was great Debbi H and the Ashville club worked their rear end s off for the last year to provide one of the best rally’s the RA has done for a while. I have been receiving several complaints from members of the BMW Club Veteran Riders International as to why the men and women of our countries armed forces were not recognized for their service at closing ceremony. Myself and Debbi H did our best to give these men and women of our military the respect by inviting the Disabled American Veterans service officers out to our rally to provide their knowledge of help to our service personal. The BMW Club Veteran Riders International served up over 100 Hot Dog and Brats to any veteran or service personal and their family that wanted a free meal on Friday out in the camping area. So why did our current President not recognize the Veterans and current service members of our countries at closing ceremony? I would have sent this directly to him but past question I have ask him. He has refused to answer.
Michael Johnston
BMW Club Veteran Riders International
Retired Military
Disabled Veteran

Edited by: vetbmwrider on 2013-10-27 09:21
chewbacca
chewbacca's picture

Michael,
I'm a life member of DAV and I put a USMC seal on my bike. (Wife was a jar head too, son is currently in the USAF) It's funny, when someone says "I appreciate your service" I really don't know how to reply. Normally I just say thanks and move on. I do have a lot of issues with our government providing inadequate support to returning, disabled vets. In a country that spends more money on defense than the next ten countries COMBINED!, I have issues with building and maintaining new ships, planes, etc while freezing pay and promotion on the guys they routinely send into harms way over and over again. If the President of this motorcycle club didn't pay any respect to vets, it means to me that he doesn't have any idea what these guys have and had done for this country; therefore, I recommend just dropping the subject because anything said from this point on is meaningless.
Rod

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE getting there!

vetbmwrider

Rod
I waited over 3 weeks to see something from the RA President. Like normal he failed to reply back. Yes this a dead issue, but I will say to all veteran and service members that severed in country military thank you.

Michael Johnston

Gr8Dane

Hey Guys, gotta chime in here. My name is Erik Munck,- I'm the newly minted westcoast rep for the RA. Probably because nobody else volunteered to work without getting paid, LOL. Here's a plausible explanation: There's a problem with the RA webmail. I can send, but don't receive ANY emails as of lately. As far as the Veterans not being mentioned, I'm sure that's an unfortunate oversight. So may things go on at the same time, you can't expect everybody to remember everything. That's why we need you, Michael, to make sure that doesn't happen again. Thanx for pointing that out.

Erik Munck

manic mechanic
manic mechanic's picture

Speaking as a veteran, I keep finding it a bit trite to constantly hear, "Thank you for your service." Especially considering the time frame when I served-the 70's. I served, did my time(10 years), did my job, got out and got on with my life. I take sufficient pleasure in that. Yes, I know/knew friends who didn't come home, whose names I found on The Wall.

Can we please let it rest! Remembering those who have served and are serving now is good, but to continue to beat the drum about it is getting a bit old, Michael.

1976 R90/6, 2015 R1200GSA(W)

Rounder #6

Wisconsin Region Rep, MOA Ambassador

tmcgee

After 40+ years since getting out, somebody thanked me for the first time. I wasn't expecting my emotional reaction since many of us were verbally abused by civilians in the late 60's and early 70's.

-Tom (a beemer, a vstrom, a couple of hondas...)

bmhappy
bmhappy's picture

mr. mechanic Nono as you can see this is my FIRST post, i can tell by your statement you did not see the elephant or hear the owl !!!!! michael, his wife and daugther maybe the first people to say thank you to me and really mean it. glad you GOT ON with your life, after 45 yrs many are still looking for a life. im not a rally chair, bartender , representative or a fan of jane fonda but if i were i would never use the word "trite" to a combat veteran. my name is bernie hoffmann and i hope to meet you some day face to face, hope you have your drum, ill bring the stick usmc 1965-1969 simper fi

Stopwatch
Stopwatch's picture

As a Viet Nam era vet, I'm often amused by today's veterans expecting then demanding "thanks" for doing that which they volunteered. After some 50 years, nobody as said anything to me about my service, and I don't expect it. I did what I though was right in lieu of either going to prison or to Canada.

As a country -- especially one with a VOLUNTEER military -- was are dumb as mud not to honor our commitments to those who serve and served honorably. What we as a country weasel out of is disgraceful.

chewbacca
chewbacca's picture

Stopwatch » wrote:
As a Viet Nam era vet, I'm often amused by today's veterans expecting then demanding "thanks" for doing that which they volunteered. After some 50 years, nobody as said anything to me about my service, and I don't expect it. I did what I though was right in lieu of either going to prison or to Canada.

As a country -- especially one with a VOLUNTEER military -- was are dumb as mud not to honor our commitments to those who serve and served honorably. What we as a country weasel out of is disgraceful.

I agree with almost all of what you say. These guys did volunteer but a lot has changed since the draft days. These guys first got hit with "stop loss" where they could not leave the military at the end of their enlistment. Lots of folks volunteered to go back to RVN but these guys don't have that option. They keep sending them back. Yes, in RVN there were rules of engagement, but nothing like what these guys have to put up with. Our wonderful "leaders" serving in the Capitol and Whitehouse are quick to send these guys into harms way but take a look at how they are being ignored when they get home. Sure, Vietnam vets were treated like dirt when they got home taking the blame for Govt that screwed up everything they touched. We send guys to fight now and leave their families on food stamps. In RVN there was always the question of "what are we fighting for?" When you dig into both Iraq and Afghanistan, nothing has changed.

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE getting there!

Join the BMW Riders Association