Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Rally rides

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
AZgman
AZgman's picture
Rally rides

I read that one of the locals has put together some rally area ride routes for us visitors. Care to share on this forum?

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

Edited by: AZgman on 2012-06-10 20:14
womanridge
womanridge's picture

I don't want to give misleading info, but I believe Mike Rand, from Colorado, has mapped out 10 rides of varying skill levels. I believe there's an article from him in the May OTL.

AZgman
AZgman's picture

Thanks... Reading it now... No routes or details... Frown

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

Outback Ufo

Okay here is a bit of the details... It me Mike Rand... We have gotten permission to use the Wingers road routes... very nice of the them... the rally coordinator has maps for all the paved recommended routes at the rally... i was putting together the paved routes and the Wingers helped out... i recommend most of what they have mapped out. I can also help you with places to stop and eat at along the way.. at least one good place per town for the most part.

As for the dirt.. this is what i was really asked to do. Currently we will have some printed maps at the dirt routes presentation i will be giving sometime Thursday evening... i will very briefly go over my three favorite paved rides... then into the dirt rides... I have mapped out around 10 beginner dirt roads in the surrounding central mountains... and a few intermediate rides.... total around 15-18 routes or combinations... Advance rides will be my discretion to discuss with individuals that have the experience and proper cycle set ups...

Hope that helps... come by the presentation of Thursday.

AZgman
AZgman's picture

"the Wingers" routes? They own the roads in CO? I don't understand the reluctance to publish some suggestions on this forum, but Ok, I'll go with the flow.

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

Outback Ufo

BMWPhreak » wrote:
"the Wingers" routes? They own the roads in CO? I don't understand the reluctance to publish some suggestions on this forum, but Ok, I'll go with the flow.

The Wingers are a Gold Wing riding group/association. They had GPS mapped a good deal main paved roads routes based out of the Copper Mtn area when they were there sometime in the recent past years. I was in the process in doing the same but it was already offerred to the rally to use.

For some of the paved routes as i will suggest are: The Independance Pass (Co82) OVer to Aspen and back through Glenwood Springs with a side ride up the Crystal River Valley (Co133)

I will list a few more paved routes later today... it was late night for me last night..

womanridge
womanridge's picture

Thanks for jumping in, Mike.

AZgman
AZgman's picture

Thank you Mike. I don't mean to sound angry, i'm not, it just seems that since this was promoted as a "riders" rally, there should be more info on suggested routes. Your help is appreciated!

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

Outback Ufo

BMWPhreak » wrote:
Thank you Mike. I don't mean to sound angry, i'm not, it just seems that since this was promoted as a "riders" rally, there should be more info on suggested routes. Your help is appreciated!

No worries... i have been very busy with all the rest i have to do... i was just saving discussion for routes even paved for the rally... but if this helps you and others...

Okay .... as i said i would here are some of the other paved routes to think about Hope this helps... i could not get the maps to copy over but you can look at a map yourself and think about what routes to ride:

[="#FF0000"]RMNP[/][="#FF0000"][/]
Version 1 -- Prepare for a most awesome day if you do this ride to Rocky Mountain National Park and ride Trail Ridge Road, the highest continuous paved road (over 12,000 feet) in the Continental United States. You'll head east from Frisco on I-70 and then head north on the Peak-to-Peak Highway. The P2P Highway runs through the higher foothills with beautiful views of the high peaks to the west. Upon arriving in Estes Park you can take either US-36 or US-34 into RMNP (both are beautiful and US-36 joins US-34 in the Park), then taking US-34 Trail Ridge Road, hopefully seeing some nice Fall Aspen colors, to the RMNP high-country. Soaring to an elevation of 12,183 feet, Trail Ridge Road seems to leave the earth behind. It slices through the heart of RMNP, entering a world of rare alpine beauty. Distant peaks loom in all directions, perhaps with some fresh snow covering the highest peaks. Sharp-eyed observers can usually spy elk, bighorn sheep, and other wildlife traversing the meadows and crags. Higher than any paved through-road in the country, this cliff-hugging highway is as impressive for its engineering as for its stunning vistas. You cannot find a road like this one anywhere outside of Colorado. A beautiful ride continues as you drop down into Grand Lake, always a great place for lunch (or perhaps you did lunch in Estes Park). If you do this as a loop ride, you will then continue a nice ride along Shadow Mountain Lake and Lake Granby, then following the headwaters of the Colorado River and the Blue River as you head back to Copper Mountain. At the end of the day you'll still be saying Wow, Wow, Wow!!!
Version 2 -- For this version you do not do this ride as a loop, but instead enter Rocky Mountain National Park from the west (Grand Lake) and then reverse your track after lunch in Estes Park, riding back west over Trail Ridge Road, taking US-34 or US-36 (whichever one you did not do earlier in the day), back to Grand Lake, and on to Copper Mountain. If you did US-34 in the morning and do US-36 in the afternoon, you may have time to take the side leg off US-36 up to Bear Lake, a very beautiful and most special spot.
Directions:

Copper Mountain > I-70 east > CO-119 north (Blackhawk/Exit 244) > Blackhawk > Nederland > CO-72 north > Raymond > CO-7 north/west > Estes Park (lunch in either Estes Park or Grand Lake; take either US-34 or US-36 into the park -- they combine into US-34; if time permits, a side trip to Bear Lake is recommended) > US-34 west > Trail Ridge Road > Park exit > CO-278 into Grand Lake (lunch if you did not do it in Estes Park) > return to US-34 west > Granby > US-40 west > Hot Sulphur Springs > Byers Canyon > Kremmling > CO-9 south > Silverthorne > I-70 west > Copper Mountain

[="#FF0000"]100K vertical Ride[/]
SUMMARY: This ride is an excellent opportunity to discover what Colorado has to offer on a day ride, mind you, a long day. Only in Colorado can you accomplish such a challenge. Imagine, ten mountain passes, ascending over 100,000 feet total elevation in a single day on a motorcycle, all paved roads with some of the best scenery in the state. The ride is easily accomplished without excessive speeds. You just need to start early and keep moving. It’s not a Deals Gap or a Coronado Trail, but you’ll get your fill of twisties and sweepers, plus see some of Colorado's beautiful mountains and outstanding scenery -- and perhaps some nice Fall colors! You'll also get a pretty good thrill!
Keep in mind, this will be a long day (8-12 hours, so get an early start) and about 450 miles, but there are a couple of opportunities to reduce the overall distance and cut the ride short. Since most of the ride is above 8,000 feet elevation, remember to apply lots of sunscreen and drink lots of water to guard against high altitude headache. There are several locations along the route for gas, food and rest stops. Don’t forget your camera and bring your rain suit plus some warm clothing for extra layers to be safe--sometimes it can be rather chilly at these elevations. Another note of caution, watch for rocks and sand on the roads and many of the roads do not have guard rails and … let's just say, pay attention. There are plenty of areas to stop and enjoy the view.
After the ride and over dinner, think about your accomplishment. Ten mountain passes with a combined total elevation of 104,243 feet -- that's something that few folks can boast about. Colorado: Life (and Riding) Is Good!!!!
Directions:

Copper Mountain > I-70E > US-6 east > Loveland Pass > I-70 east > Idaho Springs > CO-103 south (Mt. Evans) > Echo Lake (Mt. Evans road is closed after Labor Day) > Juniper Pass > Squaw Pass > Evergreen Parkway north > CR-65 > US-40 west > I-70 west > US-40 west (Empire) > Berthoud Pass > Winter Park > Hot Sulphur Springs > Byers Canyon > Kremmling > Muddy Pass > Rabbit Ears Pass > Steamboat Springs (perhaps a bite of lunch in Steamboat Springs) > US-40 east > CO-131 south > Yampa > CO-134 east > Gore Pass > US-40 east > Kremmling > CO-9 south > Green Mountain Reservoir > Silverthorne > I-70 west (if one wishes to cut the route short they could return to Copper Mountain at this time) > Vail Pass > Vail > US-24 east (Minturn) > Minturn > Camp Hale (worth a stop at the VU point) > Tennessee Pass > Leadville > CO-91 north > Fremont Pass > Copper Mountain

This route is included in the GPS files in both a clockwise and counter-clockwise direction -- both are very good.

[="#FF0000"]Though i would not recommend the section over Echo... too much traffic... really slow speed limits... and always some LEOs on the road[/]

[="#FF0000"]Butt Kicker[/]
SUMMARY: Mountains and Canyons are the key aspects of this great ride!!! Join your Gold Wing friends for one heck of a "Taste of Colorado" Ride, or as many of us Colorado Riders also call it, the "Butt-Kicker" Ride. This will be a long day with lots of great views, twisties, sweepers, and spirited, but safe, riding. Those uncomfortable with taking lots of twisties and sweepers, or long rides, should skip this ride. However, for those up to the task this will be a great day of riding taking in some of Colorado's best roads and scenery. You will cross the Continental Divide four times on this ride: Fremont Pass, Independence Pass, Monarch Pass, and Hoosier Pass. You will also travel via the beautiful spots of Twin Lakes, Aspen, Redstone, McClure Pass, North Rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Blue Mesa Reservoir, and South Park -- this ride has a little bit of everything. Lunch could be in either Redstone or Crawford depending upon the timing. When riding CO-92 along the North Rim of the Black Canyon, be sure and stop at the "Pioneer Lookout" and do some walking around the trails -- magnificent views. The ride will be about 415 miles, so bring plenty of liquids to drink along the way, and be sure to bring the camera!!!!
Directions:

Copper Mountain > CO-91 south (Leadville/Exit 195) > Fremont Pass > US-24 east > Leadville > CO-82 west (Aspen) > Twin Lakes VU > Independence Pass > Aspen > CO-133 south > Carbondale > CR-15 into Redstone (perhaps lunch) > CO-133 south > McClure Pass > Paonia Reservoir > Paonia > Hotchkiss > CO-92 east > Crawford (perhaps lunch) > CO-92 east (do not go to the Black Canyon North Rim National Park, but continue on CO-92) > perhaps stop at the Morrow Point overlook and definitely at the Pioneer Lookout > Blue Mesa Dam > US-50 east > Dillon Pinnacles VU > Gunnison > Monarch Pass > Poncha Springs > US-285 north > combines with US-24 east near Buena Vista > Trout Creek Pass > South Park > (US-24 east splits off; stay on US-285 north) > CO-9 north > Fairplay > Hoosier Pass > Breckenridge > Frisco > I-70W > Copper Mountain

[="#FF0000"]Though i dont think this is a butt kicker... i have done this loop in around 7 hrs -8 hrs depending on lunch break a few times[/]

Outback Ufo

[="#FF0000"]Independance Pass Loop[/]
SUMMARY: Doing Independence Pass from Frisco makes for a pretty leisurely ride. This route includes some exceptional riding and views, with a mix of mountains, passes (several times over the Continental Divide), lakes, trees, streams, and above timberline riding. You'll cross Fremont Pass on the way to Leadville and then along the headwaters of the Arkansas River down to Twin Lakes. You might want to hit the photo spot (see GPS waypoint) for some nice photos of the lakes and mountains (especially if the Aspen are turning golden) before beginning the great ride to the top of Independence Pass, over 12,000 feet. An awesome ride as you drop down the west side of the pass (more great fall colors as you drop down towards Aspen) to Aspen before continuing along the Roaring Fork River to Glenwood Springs. Lunch could easily be done in Basalt, or perhaps one of the many places in Glenwood Springs. You'll have some interstate riding after you depart Glenwood Springs, but the ride through Glenwood Canyon may be one of the most beautiful stretches of interstate in the United States (and it was the last stretch completed). If you do the "Independence" route you'll continue on I-70 over Vail Pass and back to Frisco. However, the better route would be the "Independence-Tennessee" route, taking US-24 east/south (before Vail) towards Minturn and Leadville. A beautiful ride above the Eagle River canyon, on to Cape Hale (be sure and stop at the VU point on the left -- winter training camp for the 10th
Mountain Division during WWII). You'll then continue on to the top of Tennessee Pass before dropping down (yeah, down to 10,000k) near Leadville. A nice, easy ride from there over Fremont Pass back to Copper Mountain. A very nice day with beautiful scenery making for a beautiful and fun Colorado day.

Directions:

Copper Mountain > CO-91 south (Leadville/Exit 195) > Fremont Pass > US-24 east > Leadville > CO-82 west (Aspen) > Twin Lakes VU > Independence Pass > old mining ghost town of Independence > Aspen > Roaring Fork River > Glenwood Springs > I-70 east > Glenwood Canyon > US-24 east (for the Indy-Tenn ride; continue on I-70 east to skip Tennessee Pass) > Minturn > Camp Hale > Tennessee Pass > CO-91 north (just north of Leadville) > Fremont Pass > Copper Mountain

[="#FF0000"]This is one of my most favotire "quick" loops... 3.5 hrs for me... more like 5 for anyone else... also add in CoHwy 133 to top of McClure's Pass south out of Carbondale for even more fun.... I do live on this route[/] Biggrin
[/B]
[="#FF0000"]
Cottonwood Pass[/][/B]
SUMMARY: If the leaves are turning at the higher elevations, then you might want to include the Kebler Pass ride in your plans. Kebler Pass, west of Crested Butte, traverses some of the largest groves of Aspen in Colorado, along with providing some magnificent scenery. This route does include two sections of unpaved road (13 miles on the west side of Cottonwood Pass and 40 miles between Crested Butte, over Kebler Pass, to Paonia Reservoir). If recent rain you would probably not want to do this ride, but if the weather has been good this is quite doable since they put down dust treatment and it turns the dirt into a hard surface (except for spots in turns). If you don't think that you are up to the Kebler loop and the additional 40 miles of unpaved road, you might want to do this ride with just the 13 miles that are unpaved.
Nice ride over Fremont Pass to Leadville, then a gradual drop from the Leadville high country along the headwaters of the Arkansas River to Buena Vista. Beautiful ride west out of Buena Vista to Cottonwood Pass -- the road starts gradually, then climbs sharply with lots of nice twisties to the top of Cottonwood Pass (Continental
Divide). Awesome views to both the east and west from the top of the pass, with Taylor Reservoir visible to the west in the valley. West of Cottonwood Pass the road includes the 13 miles that are unpaved, but they are very doable with a little caution. After riding along Taylor Reservoir the road travels below the dam, with lots of nice turns and views along the Taylor River -- during the last few miles watch for Big Horn sheep along the river (to your right).
Nice sweepers as you ride south to Gunnison (you might want to stop in Gunnison for lunch), continuing east on US-50 towards Monarch Pass. Beautiful ride up the west side of Monarch Pass with lots of twisties while using the horsepower of the Gold Wing to make the rather steep climb -- be sure to watch of possible loose gravel in the turns. Nice gift shop at the top of Monarch (Continental Divide once again) and a pretty ride down into the Arkansas River Valley. North along the Arkansas River to Buena Vista, but instead of heading north towards Leadville, this route will cross a little farther east into South Park to Fairplay, then over Hoosier Pass and on to Frisco and on to Copper Mountain.
Directions:

Copper Mountain > CO-91 south (Leadville/Exit 195) > Fremont Pass > US-24 east > Leadville > along headwaters of Arkansas River > Buena Vista > CR-306 west/right (stay on the main road) > Cottonwood Pass > becomes CR-209 dropping down to Taylor Reservoir (13 miles unpaved -- GPS tries to route to old roads in this area; stay on the main road) > left/west on CR-742 > along the Taylor River > Almont > CO-135 south/left > Gunnison > US-50 east > Monarch Pass > Poncha Springs > US-285 north > US-24 east combines with US-285 > Trout Creek Pass > South Park > US-285 north > Fairplay > CO-9 north > Hoosier Pass > Frisco > I-70W > Copper Mountain
[="#FF0000"]
Even with the short dirt section... which is a mag cloride sealed road very good route for road bikes... the dirt section is not to be done if it is wet... very messy and slippery with the MagClrd. But if drit the dirt is very smooth.[/]

[="#FF0000"]
Up to Steamboat[/]
SUMMARY: Want to take a nice, leisurely ride to a great location for lunch -- then consider the Steamboat ride. This will be a loop trip to Steamboat Springs, or perhaps even on up to Steamboat Lake, for lunch. You do not have to start so early and can enjoy a nice ride north along the Blue River with the Gore Range on the left. You will note that almost all of the Pine tress have now died (and are doing so all around Colorado and the western US) -- the result of the Pine Beetle, a lack of beetle control years ago when they were just starting (thanks to environmentalists that knew not about what they were pushing), forests that were much too dense (thanks to environmentalists that knew not about what they were pushing -- more than 1000 tress/acre when much better would have been less than 100), weakening of the trees during the bad drought in the early 2000's (not the fault of anyone, but it made the trees more susceptible to the spread of the beetles), and a forest service that failed in protecting our forests. Disaster looms on the horizon as the dead trees are not being cleared (thanks to environmentalists that know not about what they are pushing); a few good bolts of lighting and the fires will be the worst in US history. Not good! [Okay, I've said enough!!!] Continuing along Green Mountain Reservoir to Kremmling, and then a very nice ride over Muddy Pass (Continental Divide to eastern drainage) and then almost immediately Rabbit Ears Pass (Continental Divide to western drainage again). Rabbit Ears Pass area runs for several miles with a eastern summit and a western summit. (A winter war [well, almost] between cross-country skiers and snowmobilers
in the early 90's resulted in the area being divided for their use.) Dropping down into the Yampa Valley and Steamboat Springs you will find many possible places for lunch in downtown Steamboat Springs -- you might even do a little shopping while here also. Or, you can take the nice ride up to Steamboat Lake, perhaps having lunch at Steamboat Lake Outfitters Restaurant (quite good), before returning to Steamboat Springs. From there you'll head back to Frisco by riding along the headwaters of the Yampa River before dropping down to the Colorado River for some very nice riding. On south to Walcott, and then back to Copper Mountain via I-70, Vail, and Vail Pass. A very nice day!
Directions:

Copper Mountain > I-70 east > CO-9 north > Silverthorne > Blue River > Green Mountain Reservoir > Kremmling > US-40 west > Muddy Pass > Rabbit Ears Pass > Steamboat Springs > CR-129 > Steamboat Lake > CR-129 > US-40 east > Steamboat Springs > CO-131 south > Yampa > State Bridge > Wolcott > I-70 east > Vail Pass > Copper Mountain

[="#FF0000"]I would recommend that one just north of Kremling, Co turn west on to CoHwy 134 over to Toponas, CO... then back down CoHwy 131 back to I70... the part from Kremiling to Silverthorne is nice... but not as nice or curvy as COHwy134... plus you hit the curves back down to I70 on 131 the reverse direction.[/COLOR]

Join the BMW Riders Association