Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

2012 Rally Announcement

150 posts / 0 new
Last post
beemeup
beemeup's picture

Currently I've got one other member from the BMWRSM riding with me and we are planning a 2 week trip that would include Mt.Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone and Grand Teton as part of our loop in addition to the rally. Pretty ambitious with some hard riding for sure. We would welcome additional riders. We would likely be doing a combination of camping/hotels and would have a GS 911 on board in case of problems. Let me know and we'll all plan it out a bit more as we get closer. Don

doggettbeemer

6 months from now we will be enjoying the splendor of Copper Mountain, Colorado. Yippee.

Adam Arcane

AntonLargiader » wrote:
For people who don't mind getting their GSes banged up a bit, there are plenty of Jeep trails for every skill level. I've never been over Mosquito Pass; might have to do that this time.

Or I could cheat and bring the XR400. Smile

Yes, sling that Honda on davits on the stern of your Bagger. I don't recommend Mosquito Pass; you will drop your bike. Everybody does. Don't ride solo. See the photos in OTL recently showing Mosquito Pass during the RawHyde Continental Divide Ride? Buy MedJetAssist! But, I'd gladly ride YOUR GS over Mosquito Pass...

The CO rally will have many GS routes designed according to your skill level and how much you want to be challenged. Even the "easy" routes will be 100% action-packed and photo ops will unfold constantly! OTL has a GS expert guy in CO who's mapping all these world class rides. This could very well be the best RA rally ever experienced. This is going to be a real world adventure-riding BMW rally, to be sure.

doggettbeemer

I just found out some more exciting news. When you arrive Thursday and want to kick back and relax, hop the FREE Summit Bus to Frisco (6 miles away). They are having the 19th Barbeque Cook Off. Music all weekend. The is the biggest barbeque event in Colorado. How cool is that? Take advantage of this Thursday night so we can all hang out at Copper Friday night and see the vendors.

Get your fill of barbeque before you get up and do the twisties on Friday.

Gizmo
Gizmo's picture

This just keeps getting better & better.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.

doggettbeemer

Enjoy cool nights of camping and wake each morning to the site of breathtaking mountains. If you’d like more amenities, Copper Mountain is offering special rates just for our group in the lodges. Maybe you’d like to room with a few friends.
In order to take advantage of group rates or find out more information please call Copper Mountain’s toll-free conference/groups reservation line at (866) 837-2996. Reference Group Code “349” and or group name “BMW RA Rally”. For more information, go to bmwra.org and look under “National Rally” for room rates.

This will not be your traditional rally. We will not have any seminars this year. We’ve changed the vendor hours so that some evening hours are available. Vendor hours are tentatively Thursday 10-5, Friday 4-9 and Saturday 9-1.

Gizmo
Gizmo's picture

I was looking forward to some seminars, oh well can't everything... still looking forward to it.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT

brprider679

Will there be electricity available for tent campers?

doggettbeemer

We will have electricity for tent campers with special needs. Look for preregistration to open mid-Feb. Here's the logo

HUD

Just made my lodging reservation for the rally. I couldn't find a link on the RA website to prepay for the rally. I assume there is a charge. Looking forward to a great time!

Lisa_ST
Lisa_ST's picture

Just made my reservations for a room at the rally and I was very UNIMPRESSED. The person I talked to knew about the rally but there aren't pictures available (that I can tell) for all of the room types. And even though the website says FREE WIFI, it isn't guaranteed. I'm planning to vend at the rally so I know I'll need internet in my room. I would like to provide this feedback as I was quite disappointed with the person I talked to on the phone. Needless to say that I tried to do it via the website link provided first but couldn't see all of the room types available there either.

Hope the rally is better....

Lisa Malachowsky

Owner, Dive N Ride Adventures

lisa@divenrideadventures.com

http://www.DiveNRideAdventures.com

doggettbeemer

I am sorry that your experience was unimpressive. I will be contacting Copper Mountain immediately to address this. I have also found that the website really doesn't have room photos. If my recollection is correct, I posted links I found on youtube on fbook. I will find those and post them here. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're planning a fabulous rally.

Tina Doggett
2011 Rally Chair
2012 Rally Chair

doggettbeemer

Here is my response from Copper Mountain.
Tina,

Thank you for the feedback, I have forwarded it along to the call center supervisors.

Please note that we do have pictures of the lodging buildings as well as descriptions of their units and amenities on our website. We do not post pictures of individual units on our website, as they are all individually owned and vary in appearance and décor. All gold level lodging does have WiFi as well as a number of additional amenities, most of the silver level have either WiFi or eithernet, generally there is not internet access in bronze level lodging.

If you need any additional information on our lodging options please let me know, I want to work with you to ensure your guests have all the information that they need.

Again, thank you very much for your feedback.

I will post youtube info that will show a typical room.

doggettbeemer

http://youtu.be/DeAmb7Nq-Es

Here's a room at Copper Mountain. Hope you can open this.

Montauk

Tina, I am very excited about this rally, to get forthcoming OTL I just sent in my dues to become a member of BMW RA. How can I get one or two past issues that have articles pertaining to this 2012 rally?

Also any extra info that you may have, can you email me that you couldn't post.
bmann 100 @ nik ko . ca
Join all those words up.

doggettbeemer

Thank you for your enthusiasm. The RA has a great magazine. You'll really enjoy it. I will have all the info that you need to know in the March issue of OTL. I also will have info here on the forum and on facebook. If you plan on staying in the lodges, please go to the home page, go to "national rally" on the left menu and go to the lodging. Otherwise, we do have camping. Also, any questions, please feel free to email me at tinarashell333@yahoo.com. Welcome to the RA. Glad to have you.

Tina

doggettbeemer

Rally Weather: I checked with a local resident regarding the weather at rally time. He said to plan for fall like weather; which can be a bit unpredictable. Temps could be 70's and even 80. Evenings upper 30's or low 40's. Bring your Gerbings for early morning riding and a light jacket for evening. We could have snow in the higher elevations (9,000 feet and up) but our ride coordinator will know how the weather looks in May and plan the rides accordingly.

Outback Ufo

sweetpea » wrote:
Rally Weather: I checked with a local resident regarding the weather at rally time. He said to plan for fall like weather; which can be a bit unpredictable. Temps could be 70's and even 80. Evenings upper 30's or low 40's. Bring your Gerbings for early morning riding and a light jacket for evening. We could have snow in the higher elevations [="#FF0000"](10,800feet and up[/]) but our ride coordinator will know how the weather looks in May and plan the rides accordingly.

Finally remembered my login....

Bring a good mix of clothing and riding gear... then you will be fine riding in any type of weather or temps... In June by 9 am it starts to get hot in the sun... the summer showers normally start to pick up by early afternoon. Where Copper Mtn Ski Area sits it can be a bit funny with weather at time since the Ten Mile range is just a mile to the east and the continential divide is just up the road on CO 91 at Freemont pass. Normally if it does snow high up above tree line it will be melted off by mid morning if anything gets low down. Dress in layers... easier to strip a layer on or off if needed. Most of the rain storms are hard and fast... they can pass within a few minutes.. my normal summer riding gear has a top rain jacket i can just throw on in a couple minutes over my jacket... DONT FORGET... your sunscreen... you will burn up here a lot quicker then down at lower elevations due to the drier thinner air.... lots more UV

Remember for all flatlanders... you will be staying at 9700ft in elevation... so please take care not to push it too hard and depending on your age and physical "in-shape-ness" There will be a thing i will put together with the rally organizers for when you check in about the signs of Altitude Sickness... it normally is not an issue for most but the first day can wear you out a bit... so you will sleep like a baby Biggrin most AS issues are easily fixed with drinking water and just going not as hard as you normally would. Just drink a lot of water and eat regurally or carry small snacks with you when you ride... nice thing to do is pull over for a snack and enjoy the scenery. I am also looking if I have the time with getting some different routes paved and dirt together for people for some different hiking trails for people also.

If you fish there is a lot of great fishing (gold metal waters) everywhere... most are catch/release... you can get your fishing liscense at most tackle shops... There will be more when you get there... I am currently looking are suggestive routes on dirt roads.

doggettbeemer

Glad you remembered your login!!! You've brought up some great points. We'll make sure they're also in OTL.

doggettbeemer

Make no mistake, the 2012 RA Rally will be a riders’ event. The site and surroundings will present a plethora of roads and scenery for every rider, street and dirt. This will be unlike any previous RA rally and luckily it coincides with BMW’s focus on the off roading aspects of their GS line of motorcycles. There will be rides laid out for everybody’s delight, whether you’re two-up on your K1600GT or on your knobbied and armored GS. Difficult and easy treks will be highlighted, so there’ll be something for everybody, from mildly daunting ascents on graded dirt trails or canyon carving with your audio system turned up! All motorcycle makes and riders are welcome. Expand your horizons and plan on being there!

Copper Mountain is a visual delight and is unique in lots of ways. Prepare to be comfortably ensconced within a luxury resort if you wish, with shopping and culinary delights available all day long and into the well-lit night. Long time serious GS adventurer, pro photographer and CO native Mike Rand knows the territory by memory, has ridden in places seldom seen, and has designed our routes for us all, from K1600GT to G650GS.
Make sure you have the proper tires if you intend to enjoy the more difficult paths. And bring your camera! This is going to be a great time for all.

George Nyktas

Tina,

Thanks for all the good information. This is going to be a great rally.

flat_twin

Tina, I heard a rumor there would be no beer garden. Will there be an alternate social gathering place indoors or otherwise? Also, any word on above ground fires in the camping area? Thanks!

doggettbeemer

The rumor is correct. We don't have a beer garden this year. Our gathering place is going to be at the Burning Stones Plaza. It's a beautiful outdoor area. Friday night and Saturday night we have bands playing outdoor there. Tables and chairs are all around. Restaurants and bars also are right there. All of this is in the same area as the vendors.

Fires-as is the rule with most of the national rallies, no fires in the camping areas. Too many people. Hope to see you there! Did you read the all the info in your latest OTL? We gave a lot of different ideas "out and about" and a great article was written by Mike Rand about Colorado.

Outback Ufo

Dont forget Glenwood Springs is a bout 1.5 hr drive where there is the Fairy Caves and Glenwood Adventure Park.... the world's largest outdoor hotsprings pool... Yampha Vapor Caves... Glenwood Brew pub... though there is the Dillon Dam Brewery and the Breck brewery in Breckenridge closer for gourmet brews... plus the Minturn pub and grill for a real locals experience...there is also a great place to graba cold drink and some grub up at State Bridge on CO 131 north of Walcott on the way to Steamboat Springs..

Petemiko

flat_twin » wrote:
Tina, I heard a rumor there would be no beer garden. Will there be an alternate social gathering place indoors or otherwise? Also, any word on above ground fires in the camping area? Thanks!

IMPORTANT! Colorado sells 3.2% beer at grocery stores. If you want to buy real beer for you camp or condo gatherings, you must go to a liquor store to get it.

Sqhunter

Will there any vendors selling and mounting tires at the rally?

womanridge
womanridge's picture

We're still working on it. Check out the Rally Vendor Page to see who's signed up already.

doggettbeemer

Petemiko » wrote:
IMPORTANT! Colorado sells 3.2% beer at grocery stores. If you want to buy real beer for you camp or condo gatherings, you must go to a liquor store to get it.

Copper Mountain establishments have a great variety of beer for sale at reasonable prices.

Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture

Yes, beer is always a critical factor. Bow Trying the local microbrews is one thing I look forward to on longish trips.

doggettbeemer

If you're up for the micros and don't want to ride, hop the free shuttle and go to Breckenridge to the Breckenridge Brewery. They offer colorado ales and seasonal brews. They have food too.

Gizmo
Gizmo's picture

Dang this just gets better & better... now if you roll the calendar by a little faster.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT

Thickasabrick

Does anyone know if RVs will be allowed in any of the parking lots at Copper Mountain? I read on the OTL that an RV park was recommended near Breckenridge. It would be nice to be on site if possible.

doggettbeemer

At the entrance is parking for your RV if you do not need any hook ups. I couldn't obtain RV parking with hook ups because it is a resort. Sorry. The neighboring town is Frisco. Maybe they have an RV park.

If you find something closer then Breckenridge, please post here. Would appreciate it.

Thickasabrick

Thanks for the reply. We won't need hookups. Just a place to crash at night.

doggettbeemer

Great. It's at the base of the village. Shuttle goes through every 10 minutes from around 6 am to 1:40 the following morning. Registration will be open in a day or so. Please do me a favor and preregister if you know you're going. It's going to be important to make sure I have a good head count for the caterers. Thank you all!

Big-O

Woooohooo, just registered, I can't wait. This will be a great ride from NY and I can't tell you how happy I'll be to get out of here!

kewlmoose
kewlmoose's picture

Registered online, plant a tree for me!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

doggettbeemer

We'll plant a tree for you Kewlmoose. Thanks. For those that are camping we have 3 designated camping areas. The main one is at the base of the resort. It is a soccer field and totally flat. At the soccer field is also a big parking lot for RV's or trailers that do not require electric. Bathrooms are located here. Camping will be allowed here Wednesday before the rally. On Thursday, available camping is also available inside the ski resort.

doggettbeemer

Independence Pass is at 12,095 feet in the central Rocky Mountains - the highest paved pass in Colorado - at the center of one of the most spectacular stretches of road in the state, between US 24 and Aspen, passing clear rivers, beautiful valleys, steep peaks and extensive aspen forests.

East of Aspen, Highway 82 climbs steadily next to the Roaring Fork River towards the Sawatch Range in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, then descends into the even more beautiful valley of Lake Creek, eventually joining US 24 fifteen miles south of Leadville. The scenery at the pass and all along the 44 mile route is some of the most spectacular in all Colorado, and perhaps the finest viewable from a major highway - the road runs right beneath many great mountains including the highest in the state (14,433 foot Mount Elbert), and rises well above the treeline into the stark Alpine tundra zone, while also passing lakes, rivers, steep-sided valleys, thick forests of fir and extensive aspen groves - so in fall, the yellowing leaves make the landscape even more colorful and photogenic. Independence is the highest paved mountain pass in Colorado, though there are several higher unpaved passes (such as Mesquite and Cottonwood), while three paved roads climb further (Pikes Peak Highway, Mount Evans Byway, Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park), but these are not passes. Highway 82 is usually open for only six months of the year, from late May to late October, and the trip between Aspen and US 24 takes at least 90 minutes.

Info from this site.
http://www.americansouthwest.net/colorado/independence-pass/index.html

BMWGSRider

I came here to read information about the rally... I find that you need to have access to OTL instead! Why is that? Is it a secret to share information on here and just to those who are actual members and having access to OTL to find out actual information? How do you expect to have or get more riders attending if not much information is shared on forums? This is suppose to be The MOA isn't this way in which you can gain a lot of information off the forums and not having to be directed to BMW ON... Discouraging to see...And this is suppose to be a big 40th celebration!

2006 BMW F650 GS

womanridge
womanridge's picture

I hope this helps, BMWGSRider;
If you are looking at the RA Homepage, you will see a tab on the left labeled 'National Rally'. By clicking on it, you will see information on the rally, a list of vendors, Rally Village map, volunteers, camping, lodging and registration info. More information is available within this thread, if you go back to the beginning of it. There is an RA Facebook page as well. I welcome you to post here, any questions you might have or click on the 'contact us' button on the home page. Someone will gladly get back to you. The RA has no paid staff, so the forum, Rally chairs, board and administration work comes from volunteers. Thanks for your intereset in this years rally. If you are a GS rider, you couldn't find a better place to be than Copper Mountain in June.

BMWGSRider » wrote:
I came here to read information about the rally... I find that you need to have access to OTL instead! Why is that? Is it a secret to share information on here and just to those who are actual members and having access to OTL to find out actual information? How do you expect to have or get more riders attending if not much information is shared on forums? This is suppose to be The MOA isn't this way in which you can gain a lot of information off the forums and not having to be directed to BMW ON... Discouraging to see...And this is suppose to be a big 40th celebration!
BMWGSRider

womanridge » wrote:
I hope this helps, BMWGSRider;
If you are looking at the RA Homepage, you will see a tab on the left labeled 'National Rally'. By clicking on it, you will see information on the rally, a list of vendors, Rally Village map, volunteers, camping, lodging and registration info. More information is available within this thread, if you go back to the beginning of it. There is an RA Facebook page as well. I welcome you to post here, any questions you might have or click on the 'contact us' button on the home page. Someone will gladly get back to you. The RA has no paid staff, so the forum, Rally chairs, board and administration work comes from volunteers. Thanks for your intereset in this years rally. If you are a GS rider, you couldn't find a better place to be than Copper Mountain in June.

Thanks Karen.

2006 BMW F650 GS

womanridge
womanridge's picture

We have awesome bands booked for both Friday and Saturday evenings.
Can't wait for June in the Rockies.

doggettbeemer

We are sure lucky to have Carl Thomte find our bands for Friday and Saturday and Mike Rand to plan our rides. Thank you both!
If you spend $30 anywhere at Copper Mountain you get a pass to take a round trip ski lift ride to the top of the mountain. It's beautiful up there.

doggettbeemer

The volunteer section is open! Go to the National Rally and click on "volunteer". Sign up for your time slot early. Thank you! We need our volunteers to ensure a successful rally. Meet new friends and old.

doggettbeemer

Thanks to Carl Thomte we have a "blues rock alternative country slam bam thank you mam no whining allowed band from Denver" - Reckless Red. They are the Saturday night band. We're styling!

vetbmwrider
Fly and Ride BMW RA Grand National

Fly and Ride BMW RA Grand National

Hello,

Let's talk about travel in Copper Mountain, Colorado for the BMW RA Grand National

June 14-17, 2012

First, would you like to just fly to the rally and have your bike delivered to you? Here's your chance.

FEDERAL COMPANIES PROVIDES UNCRATED MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORTATION

Federal Companies, agent for Allied Van Lines, has been providing motorcycle transportation in the continental US since 1991. They transport between 10,000-12,000 bikes per year, for people buying, selling, moving, vacations and those having restoration work done.

Maybe you'd like to ride the Rockies, but live on the East Coast and vacation time is limited. Did you know you could ship your bike to Denver, CO and fly in and ride your own bike where you want instead of spending most of your time getting there? Allied Van Lines transports the motorcycles on 8x4 wooden pallets, secured with 4-tie downs in an enclosed air-ride trailer. Normal transit time is 2-3 weeks, but can take as little as 1 week.

Visit their website at funtransport.com or email motorcycles@federalcos.com. You can also call at 800.747.4100 ext 2217 for the first available coordinators. Hours are 7-6pm central time Monday-Friday and 10-2 central on Saturday.

Or maybe you'd like to fly out and rent a bike.

tourbikes.com

Colorado tourbike rentals and sales. Phone: 720.231.6349 or 866.337.7810

They have BMW's to rent.

Mission Statement
To provide high quality motorcycles for accomplished riders at reasonable prices. We operate by appointment from 8:30 AM until 9 PM. The address of the shop is 11801 East 33rd Ave., Unit B, Aurora, CO 80010. Call first.

Focus
Colorado Tourbike Rentals was created to provide high quality motorcycles for accomplished riders to use while visiting and exploring Colorado, and all other U.S. destinations and Canada. We are family owned and operated and this is our eleventh year of business. We have hundreds of satisfied customers. Bikes are rented on a daily or weekly basis. All bikes have luggage. Raingear and helmets are available free of charge. We have GPS units available for use with most of our bikes at an additional charge of $20/day or $100/week.

Getting around at the rally is going to be effortless. The Summit Stage is FREE, FREE, FREE. It travels from Copper Mountain throughout the entire county. This includes Breckenridge, Frisco, Leadville. Take a look at the link to see the schedule. Don't feel like riding? Hop the Stage and go exploring. You want to ride but someone else in your group doesn't? Let them hop the stage. Oh and it's FREE!

http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/the_mountain/transportation

After all, this is the "all about you" rally. Enjoy!

manic mechanic
manic mechanic's picture

Good grief, what do we have to do to generate a little enthusiasm around here? It's just two short months until the RAlly in ColoRAdo and it seems awfully quiet here.

Maybe everybody's just too busy riding and getting their gear together for the trip. See everybody there!

1976 R90/6, 2015 R1200GSA(W)

Rounder #6

Wisconsin Region Rep, MOA Ambassador

womanridge
womanridge's picture

manic mechanic » wrote:
Good grief, what do we have to do to generate a little enthusiasm around here? It's just two short months until the RAlly in ColoRAdo and it seems awfully quiet here.

Maybe everybody's just too busy riding and getting their gear together for the trip. See everybody there!

+1 manic, I know we'll have even more vendors than last year. My room is booked and I preregistered a few Weeks ago. I think this will a very special rally.

AZgman
AZgman's picture

YEEHAH!!!!!!! i'll be there! How's that? Smile

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

Pages

Join the BMW Riders Association