Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

2012 Rally Announcement

150 posts / 0 new
Last post
doggettbeemer
2012 Rally Announcement

Save the Date! International rally is June 14-17, 2012 in Copper Mountain, Colorado. This will be a very special 40th Celebration Rally. It will be a very different rally. Bring the family. Copper Mountain is located 12 miles from Breckenridge. Relax and Ride. This will be a vacation to remember.

Can't wait to share more information.
Tina and Mark Doggett
2011 Rally chairs
2012 Rally chairs

Edited by: Anonymous (not verified) on 2014-01-17 22:05
JohnM

Good selection! Been wanting to ride out to Colorado for a long time.

Gizmo
Gizmo's picture

Very cool, I'll plan to attend and will be my first since I just became a member.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.

doggettbeemer

coppercolorado.com.

Here's a link for the resort. GS rides will be set up at different skill levels and great rides for everyone else.

GS George

i think i will be heading to my first RA rally next year. CO is very beautiful and it sounds like it will be a great ride to get there.

kewlmoose
kewlmoose's picture

Woohoo! Off to Colorado!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

rickks
rickks's picture

Oh, Yeah! Colorado is close!!

womanridge
womanridge's picture

Whooppie!! Colorado is far away for me. That's what I like!

manic mechanic
manic mechanic's picture

Already making plans!

1976 R90/6, 2015 R1200GSA(W)

Rounder #6

Wisconsin Region Rep, MOA Ambassador

doggettbeemer

Breckenridge, Colorado is 12 miles from Copper Mountain and selected as one of 10 great mountain towns.

"Gold seekers founded this Victorian mining town in 1859, and many of the original buildings that housed hotels, dance halls, and saloons still stand. The new occupants—quirky boutiques, restaurants, outfitters, and microbreweries—capture Breckenridge's pioneering spirit and down-to-earth character. It's an unpretentious Rocky Mountain high 90 miles west of Denver.

Do: Meet local sled dogs in their off-season and hop on a dogcart for a backcountry tour. Check out the whimsical, handmade clothing at Magical Scraps. Try Breckenridge Brewery, the Breckenridge Distillery, or the Blue River Bistro for drinks. For dinner, indulge in locally sourced cuisine in a historical Victorian house at Hearthstone Restaurant. Lucha's breakfast burritos are legendary."

This is from SmarterTravel.com

Visian
Visian's picture

sweatpea... i sent you a private message.

ian

Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
'86 R80 G/SPD+ | '00 R1150 GS | '06 R1200 HP2e

doggettbeemer

Would it be a bad thing if I went whitewater rafting in Colorado during the rally? It's on my bucket list.

manic mechanic
manic mechanic's picture

Only if you don't take me with you!

1976 R90/6, 2015 R1200GSA(W)

Rounder #6

Wisconsin Region Rep, MOA Ambassador

Gizmo
Gizmo's picture

No it would not be a bad thing to honor one's bucket list. I say go for it.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT

Shelley
Shelley's picture
Re: 2012 Rally Announcement

Hey Bruce, I'm already planning a rafting trip for the club (BMW RimRiders of Arizona) on are way up to the RA Nat'l Rally in Co. We may even do two rafting trips! Hope you and Lin An will plan on riding with us to the rally! Here's a picture of RimRiders rafting in Redmond at the MOA Nat'l.

doggettbeemer

The village is quaint and has a european feel to it.
Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture

We need a 2012 Rally Section

Gizmo
Gizmo's picture

Hi Shelley, I am planning to go, already put my leave request in, Lin An at this point is uncertain. Would love to go rafting.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT

doggettbeemer

I don't always navigate through the forums well. I thought I set this up as a new topic. Then saw that it just continued onto the 2011 rally. I sure would welcome someone setting this up as a New Topic. Otherwise, when I have time, I'll figure it out.

marchyman
marchyman's picture

You did set it up as a now topic. What you want is a new forum. I believe the forum moderators/administrators have to do that. When they do they can move this topic to the new forum.

Merlin III
Merlin III's picture

Someone in another forum had a question about camping accommodations at a ski resort. I know the answers will come in good time, but I was just wondering?

doggettbeemer

We have 3 designated camping areas. The main one is at the base of the resort. It is a soccer field and totally flat. At the soccer field is also a big parking lot for RV's or trailers that do not require electric. Bathrooms are located here. Camping will be allowed here no earlier than Wednesday before the rally. On Thursday, available camping is also available inside the ski resort.

AZgman
AZgman's picture

I'll be there with friends in tow!

'17 R1200GS

MOA 107139

RA 28511

Gizmo
Gizmo's picture

sweetpea » wrote:
We have 3 designated camping areas. The main one is at the base of the resort. It is a soccer field and totally flat. At the soccer field is also a big parking lot for RV's or trailers that do not require electric. Bathrooms are located here. Camping will be allowed here no earlier than Wednesday before the rally. On Thursday, available camping is also available inside the ski resort.

Excellent! Thank you for all you do.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT

doggettbeemer

Thanks for your support. Had a great time planning this years rally and look forward to next years vacation rally.

doggettbeemer

One really cool thing is that the neighboring town of Frisco has bus service that comes to the resort. It is free and is running until about 1:00 am. So if you want to go somewhere and not ride, just hop the bus. Great for families that want to go explore too. I'll put info on it in an upcoming OTL.

*SHAG*

Thanks for all your hard work, Tina !!

2005 GS Rock Red 81k miles

doggettbeemer

Sound familiar Shag? "When I snap, you'll be the first to go!". LOL. Hope you're planning on coming to the rally. Mike Rand is putting together 12 GS rides of varying degrees of difficulty. Of course, for the rest of us, I have 10 different rides set up courtesy of my Winger friends who live there.

Merlin III
Merlin III's picture

sweetpea » wrote:
One really cool thing is that the neighboring town of Frisco has bus service that comes to the resort. It is free and is running until about 1:00 am. So if you want to go somewhere and not ride, just hop the bus. Great for families that want to go explore too. I'll put info on it in an upcoming OTL.

That is a major plus.

Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture

Crud! Barley and I probably won't make this one. I smashed my right hand and used so many days off for the surgery and recovery that I will most likely have less than 10 days on the books when summer comes. Bummer - I always wanted to share the Rockies with my dog and our RA family!

doggettbeemer

Sorry to hear about your hand and missing this rally. Barley would not get overheated at this one.

doggettbeemer

If you are bringing your family to Copper Mountain, Summit County has FREE buses that run from 6 am - 1:30 am through Breckenridge, Silverthorne, Dillon, Keystone and Copper Mountain. I'll have more information posted on this in future issues of OTL.

flat_twin

sweetpea » wrote:

We're overdue for a trip to the rockies! Sounds like a great place for a rally. Can you point me toward a local map that would show the proposed rally site, camp areas etc? thanks!

karlh

This thread has already discussed camping, but what about non-campers? What facilities are available at Copper Mountain for those of us who don't want to camp.

Karl

2007 R1200ST

doggettbeemer

We have special lodging rates just for our group. Extremely affordable and on site. This information will be provided in the December OTL. If you would like to make your reservations earlier, drop me an email and I would be happy to send you the information and the Group Code Info to get the special rates.

My email is: tinarashell333@yahoo.com

doggettbeemer

flat_twin » wrote:
We're overdue for a trip to the rockies! Sounds like a great place for a rally. Can you point me toward a local map that would show the proposed rally site, camp areas etc? thanks!

My map exceeds the limit for this. Please email me and I will email you a layout of the rally site. Thanks!

Merlin III
Merlin III's picture

sweetpea » wrote:
We have special lodging rates just for our group. Extremely affordable and on site. This information will be provided in the December OTL. If you would like to make your reservations earlier, drop me an email and I would be happy to send you the information and the Group Code Info to get the special rates.

Sweetpea, thanks for the info. I know I am pushing it, but I already have "cabin fever". I am now looking at Google Earth and wondering where the camping inside the resort is? Also, I am wondering about those reasonable rates? Unfortunately, what is reasonable Michael Bloomberg definitely isn't reasonable for me. Smile

(edit) I see someone beat me to it. Could you email me the site map also? philip.reed04074@gmail.com

BeemerArp

YES!!! I am so there! With a side trip to Beartooth Pass, Glacier National Park, Cody, WY - Chief Joseph Hiway, route 12 from Missoula, Mt over Lolo Pass and points Northwest. Two weeks, 7K miles I am so psyched. I should have it all planed out by Christmas. Let's see, BunBurner 1500 Gold to Billings, MT ....

K8ARP

2009 Silver BMW R1200RT
2010 Red Honda Elite 110
1989 Blue Schwinn LeTour

BMW Motorcycle Owners of Cleveland #196

doggettbeemer

Are you doing this on your 1989 Blue Schwinn LeTour? LOL.

doggettbeemer

Beautiful Frisco, 6 miles from Copper Mountain. FREE bus travel from Copper Mountain to Frisco, Breckenridge and other nearby towns. They travel from around 6 am to 1:00 am. Gotta love it.

drsales
drsales's picture

I will also be coming out from Cleveland. But my route will take me to Southern Colorado before the rally. Goals are Pikes Peak, 4 Corners, Million Dollar Highway and more.

doggettbeemer

The Million Dollar Highway is a must do. Also, Torrey, Utah has Cafe Diablo.
cafediablo.net/

We were sent here by other bikers. The food is over the top. The view is spectacular. Mark and I really hope to get back there again.

beemeup
beemeup's picture
Colorado

I'm tentatively planning to come from Maine, this sounds like a great time. I'm hoping to hook up with
some other people who are making the trip from my area. Anybody out there that would like to
ride together from northern New England? Send me a PM. Don

doggettbeemer

Lodging information is on the website now.

Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture

beemeup » wrote:
I'm tentatively planning to come from Maine, this sounds like a great time. I'm hoping to hook up with
some other people who are making the trip from my area. Anybody out there that would like to

Boy, I'm tempted to take Barley in the sidecar rig so we can enjoy the cool nights! (We can handle daytime heat if the night temps are sleeping weather cool.) But with those kinds of distances and my max two week vacation limit at one time it would mean slabbing it at least one way in order to have enough time to explore the area. Probably stay in hotels as well to maximize our daily travel time, and that can get expensive.

Barley is a very mellow dog who's a lot of fun to travel with, but with pee and play breaks his daily max is about 500 miles

AntonLargiader
AntonLargiader's picture

For people who don't mind getting their GSes banged up a bit, there are plenty of Jeep trails for every skill level. I've never been over Mosquito Pass; might have to do that this time.

Or I could cheat and bring the XR400. Smile

Anton Largiader

Charlottesville, VA

www.largiader.com

HUD

Great choice for a rally. Does anyone know where the main rally site is located? Also, which lodges do the special rates apply?

doggettbeemer

The site is breathtaking. Please go to the home page of the forum and click on the "National Rally" link on the left. It will bring up the information. Lodging is listed. We are at Copper Mountain, Colorado. It is a resort village. We will have camping too. Info about that will be in future issues of OTL.

John Lang

This Rally site will be fantastic, great work Tina! And the riding into, around, and from the RA cant be beat. Especially AFTER the Rally; we are cautioned this is near "shoulder season" of summer weather in the mountians. I've noticed some comments mention routes to the event that are high elevation, and MAY NOT be passable yet. LoLo Pass, Glacier NP, Independance Pass early 1st week June??? Bring all the warm "gear" you got!
Sleeping cool, you bet! Those 1st two weeks of June you may get anything; its like APRIL east of the Mississippi River, and I'm not talking about down south! But I still want to be there! Yesnod

doggettbeemer

We are really fortunate to have Mike Rand setting up the GS and touring rides. He lives in CO, knows the roads well and will monitor where we will be able to ride. The temps for the middle of June are low 70's during the day and upper 30's at night. Wow - just a little over 6 months away.

Merlin III
Merlin III's picture

beemeup » wrote:

As of now, I am definitely going subject to unforeseen circumstances. Maybe it is a pipe dream, but once I get out there, I may want to keep going and tour some other western States. Maybe we should talk a little further down the road.

Pages

Join the BMW Riders Association