Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

32 days and counting...

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture
32 days and counting...

Till my dog and I set out in the sidecar for the rally! Biggrin

We're heading north into Ontario, then camping all the way around the Great Lakes and into the UP before dropping down to Chippewa Falls. Not sure if I'm more excited about the trip or about meeting all my new friends, but the entire experience will be fantastic!

See you there!

Pete and Barley

Edited by: Glenfiddich on 2011-06-28 03:46
Merlin III
Merlin III's picture

Glen, All I can say is with a traveling companion like yours you must make friends everywhere you go! : )

Beemer-me-up
Beemer-me-up's picture

[="3"]Hi Glenfiddich, I can't wait, my group is leaving on the 25th going more or less the same route. We plan to continue on to Winnipeg then south into the USA to the Aerostitch open house then on to the rally. Should be a great ride...:thumb [/]

13 R 1200 RT (90th Anniversary Edition) (Gertrude)

04 R-1150-RT (Traveler) Sold 12-7-15

04 R-1100-RS (Pearl )(gone 10-2008)

78 R-80 (Gone but not Forgotten-KIA by a DUI)

Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture

Be sure to introduce yourselves if we meet up. Barley insists on more pee breaks than I'm used to, so our daily mileage is around 350 or so. And that CAB means the beer is on me.

Semper fi,
Pete

Merlin III
Merlin III's picture

Glen, I like Magic Hat #9. We probably can't get it in Wisconsin. : ) Would any of you guys be willing to share your planned route?

Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture

Not sure, but part of the travel experience is trying the local fare. Rumor has it there are some pretty good breweries around Lake Superior!

I've always been one of the rabbits, taking a fast and direct route to wherever I'm going. But this year I'm going to try the tortoise. Well, a bit of it anyway.

Day 1: Cross Lake Champlain, thru the Adirondacks to the St Lawrence. Cross into Ontario at Ogdensburg. Check out Perth and stop for the night.
Day 2: Thru Algonquin Provincial Park to Huntsville, then to North Bay to stay with some friends.
Day 3: Straight shot on 17 to Sault Ste Marie, then up to Lake Superior Provincial Park. Campsite reserved on the shore at Agawa Bay
Day 4: Continue on 17, catching the sights along the way. Camping somewhere between Marathon ON and Grand Marais MN
Day 5: Down 61 to Duluth, then east toward the UP
Days 6-8: Apostle Islands, Copper Harbor, L'Anse, Marquette, Munising, Deer Park, Paradise and on to the rally. No real set plan. Just exploring and having fun.
A day or two at the rally, then on to southern WI to be with friends for Independence Day.

After that I'm not sure. I had planned on crossing northern IL and IN to Ohio, then across northern PA before cutting north to the Finger Lakes, then east thru the Adirondacks and home. But every rider who lives in the northern parts of IL and IN I've spoken with tells me to go a couple hundred miles south, or to cross back into Ontario and go home that way. That's not leaving me feeling very good about the return trip and I might just take their advice and head north again.

What are your plans?

Pete

Merlin III
Merlin III's picture

Pete,
Unlike you, I am a little weak in the planning department. I have only had my 2001 1150GS for 8 or so months. My longest ride so far has been 4 days in duration. I had planned to ride out west on a somewhat similar route to yours. Just recently I have been thinking of attending the Wisconsin rally. Then continuing west for a while and then heading back east for the BMWMOA rally. I am very flexible.
Phil

drsales
drsales's picture

Glenfidich,
I will be leaving from Cleveland heading north to the Mackinac area staying with a friend, leaving here on Saturday the 25th. Leaving his place on Monday 27th and was considering a Provincial campground on the east end of Superior for Monday night. I noticed that you said you have a reservation. Will the campgrounds be that busy to have one?

But I plan to end up in Duluth on Wednesday. Maybe stay near there, then on Thursday head to the RA. I will be riding a 2004 Red 1150RT. Maybe we will cross paths.

Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture

drsales » wrote:
Glenfidich,
I will be leaving from Cleveland heading north to the Mackinac area staying with a friend, leaving here on Saturday the 25th. Leaving his place on Monday 27th and was considering a Provincial campground on the east end of Superior for Monday night. I noticed that you said you have a reservation. Will the campgrounds be that busy to have one?

But I plan to end up in Duluth on Wednesday. Maybe stay near there, then on Thursday head to the RA. I will be riding a 2004 Red 1150RT. Maybe we will cross paths.

I don't think campgrounds will be that crowded the week before the Canada Day weekend, especially at the dry parks, but I wanted one on the lake with a tad of privacy. Barley was introduced to beer at the RA Rally last year by some well-meaning soul, and now recognizes the sound of a bottle cap being removed from a considerable distance. He also developed a hankering for wurst and schnitzel after the last rally, staples he seems to believe every camper carries on their person.

drsales
drsales's picture

For a minute I thought you were talking about me!

BTW my name is also Pete.

Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture

Merlin III » wrote:
Pete,
Unlike you, I am a little weak in the planning department. I have only had my 2001 1150GS for 8 or so months. My longest ride so far has been 4 days in duration. I had planned to ride out west on a somewhat similar route to yours. Just recently I have been thinking of attending the Wisconsin rally. Then continuing west for a while and then heading back east for the BMWMOA rally. I am very flexible.
Phil

Phil - Traveling with a dog greatly reduces my flexibility, so I plan a lot more on sidecar journeys with Barley than I do on solo trips on the two wheeler. No matter how well-behaved a dog is, many campgrounds and motels will not accept them. As a result I do a lot of research up front, finding dog-friendly resources along my route. Their availability often dictates the route I take.

Pete - My regular riding partner's name is also Pete. If we manage to connect on this trip we could have some fun with that!

Got a Zumo 660 to replace the failing 450 I used for years. When it started rebooting itself and spontaneously routing me to South Carolina I thought it might not be the most reliable navigation aid. I'll install that this weekend as well as my extra fuel can.

Really looking forward to this trip! 28 days till departure now!

Pete

rockers
rockers's picture

In case my article doesn't make the OTL in time for your plans, those deciding to come over the Top of Lake Superior might want to consider the following attractions:

The Canada Route
It is about 800 miles from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario to Duluth, Minnesota over the top of Lake Superior. If you do decide to make a trip over to Canada, the Canadian Bush Plane Museum on the east end of the “Canadian Soo” is an interesting place.
From the “Soo” you’ll pick-up Trans-Canada Highway 17 west which follows the eastern shore of Lake Superior to Wawa. Before you arrive at Wawa you can visit the Lake Superior Provincial Park and see the Agawa Rock Pictographs. It’s a half-mile walk to the site and it is not accessible if the waters of Lake Superior are rough. This route also has many impressive waterfalls that can be viewed from the highway. From Wawa continue west toward Thunder Bay, Ontario which will follow the north shore of Lake Superior at times. About 50 miles north of Thunder Bay is Ouimet Canyon. It’s a short drive and worth the visit. ontarioparks.com/english/ouim.html

Just south of the canyon is a turnoff (#587) for the Sleeping Giant Park. I’ve never been there, but will the next time around the lake. ontarioparks.com/english/slee.html

From Thunder Bay you’ll pick-up highway 61 for a 3 hour ride along Minnesota’s famous north shore to Duluth. Checkout the waterfalls and lighthouses along this section and consider a stop at Split Rock Lighthouse south of Silver Bay. A famous eatery along this route is Betty’s Pies. bettyspies.com If you’re tired of the shoreline, highway 1 to Ely and back to Duluth via the Iron Mining district (Highways 169, 135, & 53) is a good alternative that will add a few miles. Bob Dylan was from Hibbing so you can check out the museums there.
After your stop at AeroStich in Duluth, you can follow the route to the rally explained earlier above.

BHob Alexander

Merlin III
Merlin III's picture

I was out riding continuously today for six plus hours and I am beat. I am probably more in Barley's league in terms of my endurance as well as my penchant for micro-brews.

gene
gene's picture

I'm bringin' Metaxa...Greek brandy

Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture

Nine days and a wake up! The rig needs a fire extinguisher and a good coat of wax to protect the paint, but is otherwise ready for the trip. Still need to pick up dog emergency meds then will start the endless pack and repack drill. I had it down last year, but over the winter I added panniers and a three gallon Rotopax for extra fuel. So of course last year's packing plan is back to square one!

Looking forward to meeting you all!

doggettbeemer

Found this picture of me and my husband Mark. We're going to have lots of food available at the rally. You don't even have to leave. Friday night fish fry is going to be a 1 trip through buffet. Beer battered fish, baked fish, pork, chicken, salad, homemade baked beans, coleslaw, veggies and dip and roll and butter. All for $10.

womanridge
womanridge's picture

Mark needs to see his dentist. (And his dietician)

doggettbeemer

The first 1500 people will get a rally mug that holds 20 ounces of fine Leinenkugel's beer. Tickets will be sold at $3/ticket or 4/$10. A great beer can cost you $2.50 while you're listening to the band in the beer tent.

For us wine drinkers - we have selected a white and red wine. Mark and I are wine snobs (well in the $10-$20 range) so this isn't going to be Mogen David.

At this time in two weeks, we'll be eating our fish fries and waiting for the band to start. Doesn't get much better than that.

Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture

I don't suppose an extremely happy and well-behaved golden retriever on a leash would be allowed in the beer tent..?

womanridge
womanridge's picture

Don't forget the food your rally chairs have planned. Chicken on Thursday, Taditional Wisconsin Fish Fry etc on Friday and Pulled Pork on Saturday. On site, modest price and Yum!

Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich's picture

I'm frantically packing. Barley doesn't seem to have a worry in the world.

sdpc2

I will attest to wonderful dog Barley is.....

Glenfiddich » wrote:
I don't suppose an extremely happy and well-behaved golden retriever on a leash would be allowed in the beer tent..?
Bob T
Bob T's picture

Final packing tonight...out in the AM...
Going to hit Wildcat Mountain and the Mindoro Cut on the way up...Wednesday night stay in Black River Falls...at the rally Thursday before lunch...

See ya all there...

Bob T.
'95 K1100RS
'01 Triumph TT600
'83 Suzuki GS1100E
'82 Suzuki GS750E - Project
'41 BSA M20 - Waiting Restoration

Join the BMW Riders Association