Main Megamenu

• OTL Magazine
  • The Club

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The Club megamenu slideshow

News of the RA World

What's going on with the club?  This is the place to read about club activities and changes.

You could be here. BMW Riders Association at Petoskey, Michigan July 6,7 & 8

Start or Renew Your Club Membership!

Here's the information you need to join now or renew your Right Attitude membership.

Membership Has Its Benefits

And here are some of them for joining the RA, because the RA is looking for useful discounts and deals for its members.

Welcome to the Black Eagle Shop

Club members can visit the shop for RA "Right Attitude" wear and accessories.

Stay
  • RA Community

View: Megamenu Slideshow: The BMW RA Community megamenu slideshow

Rallies and Events

Plan out your riding season with this zoomable, scrollable and clickable map, along with a date order listing of upcoming Rallies and Events.

Local Chartered Clubs

The RA charters local clubs and provides their information here so you can find them

RA Regions Program

RA volunteers work to keep you informed about what's happening in your area of the world, with local events and news.

Classified Ads

Here's where RA Members can create classified ads to buy, sell or swap BMW Motorcycle related items.

The RA Forum - Where Riders Get Together

The forum is open to anyone.  Join in and express your opinions!

Selected BMW Links

Here are a set of useful links to relevant BMW websites.  We have them grouped into useful categories so you can find what you're looking for quickly: BMW Corporate pages, selected other Clubs, Racing info and, of course, Miscellaneous.

Stay
  • Forum
  • Contact Us

Dual Sport rides at the Rally!

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stagehand
Dual Sport rides at the Rally!

Rides to take at the rally:

Dual Sport rides from Sunday the 25th to the 31st. there's ten different rides, They are route-sheet rides. some are four hours, some are eight hours, your pleasure, from beginner to hard core crazy. Everything is a route sheet ride.

There will be a group hard core crazy ride "Not for the faint of heart" NOT ROUTE SHEETED. Knobbies required, Saturday morning. Be back for lunch. I'll be sweeping. Everyone drops their bike, at least once. Kickstands up at 8am. Rider's meeting at 7:30 by the grandstand, presumably.

GS Trials will begin after Lunch, and the Not for Faint of heart ride returns.

Contact Steve Mauk at Max BMW Motorcycles for route sheets. 518-279-3040

Edited by: Stagehand on 2010-07-29 07:52
PaulBach

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. Come prepared. Stagehand aka Desert Fox and Steve Malk are among the best GS riders you will find anywhere!

2010 Rallymeister in Vermont
Pownal - Gateway to New England

ron scorese

I am new to site, so forgive me if I missed something. I am well versed in off road riding and a new GSA rider.
I am planning on attending rally for dual sport rides and meet other GS /GSA riders.
Will there be GS rides for standard enduro tires? I have some long distance paved trips planned leading up to rally. I will attempt to plan a knobbie swap out prior to as the hard core rides sound great, timing is just really bad for me with paved road trips.

By the way, the information on site is great.
safe riding
Ron
GSA/09

Stagehand

Hi Ron!

Yes, there are several different versions of Dual Sport rides available- all of varying intensity, if you will, and I think the worst of the bunch will be on Saturday Morning. Short Ride of Great Difficulty Biggrin

All week long prior to that, though, Route sheets will be available from Steve Mauk at Max BMW motorcycles. Something for every skill level and every tire.
Looking forward~
Jason

lineman29

Sounds like a good time. Just might have to buy some knobbies while I'm there and change them out. Nothing like changing tires around a campfire I always say.

PaulBach

All - Stagehand is being modest. Steve Malk and stagehand are gnarly dudes who will take you on a hell of a ride. Will street tires do it? Remember - never bring a knife to a gunfight!

ron scorese

Good morning all and thanks again for the tips and info.

Due to work related issues and other travel plans, I can only attend event Saturday and will arrive hopefully by 8:00pm Friday night.

I am well versed and expeirenced in off road riding, with that said, I will only have Torrance EXP ties. I am a believer in having the right tools and equiipment for planned ride or exploration in some cases. I will not have time to mount knobby tires Frown ,

Do I need to consider not going on Saturday morning planned dual sport ride due to lack of knobby tires?
I do not want to hold up group due to "lack of proper tires". Again with that said, I really would enjoy a "GSA" ride with experienced GSA riders on a "more agressive ride" as I totally get the hint all play hard. If I can join group, where do I meet? I will be staying in Williamstown, I think Willows motel but need to check my resveration when home. I am all ready pre-registered for event.

safe Riding

Ron
GSA/09

PaulBach

Call Steve Malk at Max BMW in Troy, NY.

518-279-3040

MAX BMW will have a BIG presence at the rally.

ron scorese

Thanks, I spoke with Steve. He was very helpful.

Looks like I am good to go for "not for fait of heart ride". EXP tire is Ok with consideration of my experience "if really stuck with EXP tires" I will avoid a few mud pits Steve has planned.

Steve offered some great advice and I will work on a few knobby swap options to more enjoy the agressive ride and mud pits!!!

I'll meet up Friday night to catch up and Staurday morning for ride.

PS: Unrelated: Steve stressed interest so I though I share. I recently completred a 600 mile off road and trail Grand Canyon trip, mainly Strip District region. Made it to river in 3 different locations on GSA. I be more then happy to share information on routes, logistics and planning.

Safe Riding
Ron
GSA/09

PaulBach
Seminar?

Could you do a one hour seminar describing the route, adventure and just general show and tell for the faint of heart like myself who own a GS but will never use it for a Grand Canyon adventure?

All I can offer is a beer or two but would love to hear about the adventure.

Paul

ron scorese

beer works! I would be happy to share info on my Grand Canyon trip. I look forward to sharing with other adventure riders.

I keep digital pics, I'll try and bring a laptop or print a few sheet pictures. Topo maps and routes I have printed as back up to my GPS.

I am planning on leaving NYC at 3:15pm Friday July 30, I will be returnign from London on Thursday so timing is tuff. I'll ride to Williamstown motel and unload bags then head to event. Letme know what day time works, I'll be at event and hopfully riding off road! If I can obtain knobby I'll try out teh GS challange.

Safe Riding
Ron
GSA/09

lineman29
me too

I'll give and drink a few beers over that discussion as well.

ron scorese

I'll have Guinness beer with me, always travel with 6 pack Smile I'll make it 12 pack for all. Looking forward to event, bummer my time is limited. I'll have top plan better next year.

Ron
GSA/09

PaulBach
Guts & Sinew; Not for the faint of heart.

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight! MAX BMW is building one of the gnarliest GS courses to be found at any rally; the biggest, the best the most challenging. Included in this GS (Guts & Sinew) course are:

Sneak Preview from previously classified documents
[]

• Yumps
  • Wood Pile
  • Small Mountains of Dirt
  • Tire Wind
  • Mud Pit
  • Sand Bar
  • [="3"]The Teeter Totter[/]
  • [/]

A few more "planks" will be added to the Teeter Totter but think of this:
    [INDENT]

• ride up entry
    • stop in middle
    • ride down front slope
    [/INDENT]

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight!

lineman29

Looks like it's gonna be fun.:hurray

PaulBach

I know MAX personally. He does not do things half way. By the time he is done this will be one of the best GS trials
    anytime
    anywhere

GS riders will be talking about it for years.

PaulBach
    Construction underway for GS track

GS (Guts & Sinew) Course starts construction

The big boys and girls will love this sandbox.

Giving "Getting Stoned" a new meaning.

Max might yet turn this teeter totter into one fine Trebuchet.

PaulBach

More dirt arrives.

Max and construction crew slow down long enough to have picture taken.

Max phones for more logs, more stones, more gravel ... .

A big project waiting just for you!

Balthazard

Friends,
    I am new to this site having only discoivered it today. I would like to be there starting on the 25th, where can i get an agenda of event from 25th to the end of event.
    I will be coming from Montreal
    Normand
    GSA

PaulBach
    More Construction Materials

More Construction Materials Arrive

Some Vermont Wood Chips Arrive

Obstacle Course Materials

Closer view of those wood chips.

Balthazard

Paul,
    Thank you for the flag!
    Normand
    GSA

PaulBach
    Great News for GS Riders - GS Rally Schedule

The Tri-State area has some great dual sport riding in the Taconic, Berkshire and Green Mountain ranges, but one of the most popular features of the Rally will be the GS track we have constructed. It is a challenging course that will be open all day on Friday and Saturday. And, we have a fleet of 10 BMW G450 Xs for you to demo on the track!

Or, bring your own ride and practice for the main event: the GS Trials on Saturday. If you'd like to expand your horizons beyond the track, there will be a number of self-guided and guided dual sport rides. All rides and demos will commence from our tent next to the GS track and route sheets for self-guided tours will be available all day.

Below is a schedule for the organized dual sport activities at the Rally:

Friday, July 30th:
    8:00 AM - Guided Dual Sport Ride Departs
    9:00 AM - GS Trials Course Opens (all day)
    9:00 AM - G450 X Demos on Trials Course Begin (all day)
    11:00 AM - Guided Dual Sport Ride Departs
    2:00 PM - Guided Dual Sport Ride Departs
    4:00 PM - G450 X Demos on Trials Course Close
    5:00 PM - GS Trials Course Closes

Saturday, July 31st:
    9:00 AM - GS Trials Course Opens
    9:00 AM - G450 X Demos on Trials Course Begin
    1:00 PM - G450 X Demos on Trials Course Close
    1:00 PM - GS Trials Course Closes
    1:00 PM - GS Trials Competition Begins
    4:00 PM - GS Trials Competition Ends

dietric

Paul,

is there a way to make the route sheets/GPS files for the GS rides available ahead of time thru email? Would love to be able to get them into my GPS before I head up there.

Thanks
    Dietrich

PaulBach » wrote:
    The Tri-State area has some great dual sport riding in the Taconic, Berkshire and Green Mountain ranges, but one of the most popular features of the Rally will be the GS track we have constructed. It is a challenging course that will be open all day on Friday and Saturday. And, we have a fleet of 10 BMW G450 Xs for you to demo on the track!

Or, bring your own ride and practice for the main event: the GS Trials on Saturday. If you'd like to expand your horizons beyond the track, there will be a number of self-guided and guided dual sport rides. All rides and demos will commence from our tent next to the GS track and route sheets for self-guided tours will be available all day.

Friday, July 30th:

Saturday, July 31st:

lineman29

PaulBach » wrote:
    It is a challenging course that will be open all day on Friday and Saturday. And, we have a fleet of 10 BMW G450 Xs for you to demo on the track!

Or, bring your own ride and practice for the main event: the GS Trials on Saturday.

Friday, July 30th:

Saturday, July 31st:

That is awesome news!!:thumb

ron scorese

PaulBach » wrote:
    Could you do a one hour seminar describing the route, adventure and just general show and tell for the faint of heart like myself who own a GS but will never use it for a Grand Canyon adventure?

All I can offer is a beer or two but would love to hear about the adventure.

Paul

I have Topo and other maps used for Grand Canyon trip and prepared general route descriptions along with overview of planning phase. I will have pics and HD vids from helmet cam on usb stick if anyone has laptop with them. Hopyfulyl it's interesting to all. If anyone is considering going, I can spend time detailing more specific route and planning aspects - heck I might even want to go again!
    I am leaving NYC at 3:00pm Friday, will stop by tent area upon arrival.
    safe riding
    Ron
    GSA/09

Join the BMW Riders Association